PDA

View Full Version : Colliding Universes and Tears in Space

Taylor Harbin
12-23-2014, 08:44 PM
The story I have revolves around the use of a mineral called "galacite." It possesses otherworldly powers because the fragments have travelled from a parallel universe through tears in the space time continuum.

I know nothing about quantum mechanics. I want to try to visualize what these tears look like, as they are being recorded by the interested parties. How would they manifest and how would they affect the physical space on our side? Would these tears destroy life like the ribbon from Star Trek Generations?

Drachen Jager
12-23-2014, 09:57 PM
I don't know about Star Trek Generations, but one explanation that would sound very scienc-y would be to have the tears created by black holes, which then give off Hawking Radiation (true). You could then twist Hawking Radiation into your required galacite, by having it accrete into usable-sized lumps, gather it using some high-tech, or have it alter the matter it interacts with in the way you need.

stephenf
12-23-2014, 10:28 PM
Hi
I don't know about tears in space , but there is a search for distortions in space that might indicate contact with other universes. Your looking for a place were there might be an exchange of material . If such a thing were to happen it might happen at one of these points of collision . It is believed that the universes are actuly colliding or interacting all the time,and is a possible explanation for quantum weirdness.

King Neptune
12-23-2014, 11:49 PM
There have been a few articles recently about colliding universes and the marks that they left on this universe. There are tears, but there are areas that lack the normal background.

I believe there are good reasons for thinking that two such space-time continuua could pass through each other without doing any harm, but that's purely opinion without any support, except the nature of space and the assumption that space would be the same in both. If space were different, or if time were at a different angle, then there might be annihilation or something else, but that's just conjecture.

Try searching using the terms that you used in the OP.
http://discovermagazine.com/2012/dec/29-when-universes-collide
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/parallel-universes-colliding-could-explain-quantum-weirdness

Kevin Nelson
12-24-2014, 10:57 AM
I think this is far enough beyond anything currently known to science that you have a lot of freedom. My first thoughts are that the tear would either be totally black, or else you could actually see through it to the other universe.

blacbird
12-24-2014, 12:12 PM
As this is the purest kind of science-fiction, having absolutely no basis in known science, it would be much better posted in the SF/Fantasy forum, and would get more responses as well. There's nothing wrong with speculating about such things; SF throughout its modern history, starting with H.G. Wells and The Time Machine, has been about "What If?"

This "What If?" has eleventy-twelve gazillion doors open through which you can voyage. Go forth, and do so.

caw

cat_named_easter
12-28-2014, 03:07 AM
I agree with Kevin - I think you can probably take a bit of creative freedom here. There are probably very few people who would be qualified to contest your imagination with facts about this sort of thing.

smellycat6464
12-28-2014, 10:06 AM
Hi there,

So, I'm not a physicist, but I do do the science from time to time, and my studies/general curiosity have subjected me to elementary quantum blah blah blahs.

Something sciencey that I think could mesh into this plot device of yours falls under "brane cosmology" and the oft esteemed but rarely sufficiently courted string theory. If memory serves, Hawking's "Universe in a Nutshell" touches on this and more in an allegedly lay person's approach. I've been exposed to science much of my life, and found it difficult to navigate without the internet...but I digress.

Okay, so quantum crap 101 (to my knowledge that is).
There are four fundamental forces in our world: the strong (holds protons together in an atomic nucleus), the weak (something to do with radioactive decay), the electromagnetic (light), and the gravity (self-explanatory). Each of these is sorta packaged in their own "guage boson," a particle that acts like a little force mailman. Some of these probably sound familiar. You've heard of photons before--those are the bosons for light. Gluons carry the strong force, which makes sense--they glue the nucleus together. Don't know much about the weak force, but gravity is carried through the hypothetical graviton.

Let's talk about this graviton. Gravity, when you think about it, is quite weird. The strong force is strong--a nuclear bomb is, more or less, a release of the strong force. The electromagnetic force is strong! It can be blinding, it can lift trains off a rail. Gravity...it takes a sizable lump of mass to even notice it's there.

Here's a speculated reason as to why: its strings. Photons (electromagnetic force), gluons (the strong force), and the W/Z bosons (the weak force...I think), are all pretty noticeable...they have "open strings." They are made of what I'm interpreting as "strings of vibrational energy" that have anchor points that limit them to this "brane" we're living on. So, they have a tendency to get "concentrated" in a way.

Really smart guys and gals think that this magical graviton has a "closed" string configuration. It has low energy, no "anchor points" and is free to migrate to "other branes" of existence or what have you. Most of the given gravitons emitted by a given mass are hypothesized to have migrated away, hence why gravity isn't noticeable unless you have oodles of mass.

There, I think, can possibly answer your question of "how would these tears manifest." Your galactite, according to my knowledge of this cosmo mumbo jumbo, would be composed of closed strings, making it sorta similar to gravitons. After all, assuming this is true, entities of a closed string nature can move between branes, and any high amount of flux through a brane would possibly result in a trauma--but I think that's me taking the word "brane" in a more biological context, which surely isn't appropriate here, but who knows?

As for what a tear in a brane would look like? Many smart guys and gals would murder for the answer to that. Use that writerly brane of yours and think of something pretty. But if you're looking for a scientific context, imagine what the big bang was like. In some "theories of the universe" special I saw on youtube once, the British Smart Guy said something that someone theorized that every brane collision is a big bang somewhere in the multiverse. The mere touching of one brane or one universe with another would cause quite a stir to both parties (not just ours), according to the smart guys and gals.

I hope this answered your question. It's ironic how the really small things can influence the really big stuff.

Word of caution, I don't recommend you label your galactite as "an undiscovered element." I roll my eyes at such a poorly research copout, and if your curious, I can detail my frustrations--but I think I've rambled enough for now ;)

Happy writing!