Status
Not open for further replies.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I finished my first book two years ago. I haven't published it yet. I entered a couple of contests where I did poorly, re-worked some things. Queried a handful of agents and got form replies. Completely rewrote my query letter, but haven't sent it out. I entered it in the Angry Robot open call, but haven't heard a peep from them.

I have a horrible love-hate relationship with this book. I love the characters. I love the idea. I want to move forward. It's always been planned as a series. I've got strong ideas for three more books, but I'm not as in love with the villain's side of book 1. The more I re-work things, the less sense his side of things makes. My head is filled with the litany of what's wrong with Deadly Nightshade and every time I sit down to write something new, that's what comes out.

What I need to do is write another book. So, that's what I'm going to do in 2015. No more time spent on Deadly Nightshade. It's time to let go. I've got three other ideas that have been languishing unattended and it's time to take them on.

Goals for 2015:
1) Query Deadly Nightshade. It's as good as I can make it on my own. Time to take the bull by the horns. 10 queries at a time until I run out of agents or someone bites.
2) 1250 words per day on a new novel, 6 days per week. No more futzing with DN. (Unless #1 bears fruit)

That's it. Short, simple and to the point.

holy heidi

full of beans
Registered
Reaction score
Go for it and good luck to you! Hope your queries bear fruit, but if not, i know for me, sometimes what ideas need is time to rest so you can look at them with fresh eyes in the future. :) And then you get to have fun with your new ideas for a while!

I'm cheering for you :)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with your goals! And time away from the first book is a great idea. I've been frequently amazed by the fresh eyes I can bring to a piece after a few months -- or even years!

WhirlyGirly

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck! I was at a writer's conference a couple months ago, and every single agent and editor there said (in a panel discussion) that the best thing a writer can do is move on to the next book, no excuses, no holding on. Query the first and put it out of your mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.