PDA

View Full Version : So, whatcha readin'?

CaroGirl
03-30-2006, 07:16 PM
We all know that you can't write well if you don't read well, and I'm always on the lookout for great books and authors that I haven't yet heard of. So:

What was the last book that you read? Did you enjoy it?
What are you reading right now? Are you enjoying it?
What's next on your reading list?
My answers:

I read Galveston by Paul Quarrington. I liked it, although not nearly as much as I liked Whale Music (same author).
Now I'm reading something my friend let me borrow called The Continuity Girl, about a girl who's responsible for the continuity of films but who feels like her biological clock is ticking and she doesn't even have a boyfriend. It's interesting so far. Light-hearted and humorous.
Next, I think I'll read Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (I just bought a load of books from Chapters cuz I got a gc for my birthday). If anyone's read it, let me know if you liked it.

jenngreenleaf
03-30-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm a nonfiction addict:

The Street Smart Writer. Yes, I did -- I received the unbound galley pages from Nomad Press in November and I *just* found time to do the review. I feel guilty, but it's done and wizzing it's way in the form of queries now.

Write Brain Workbook: 366 Excercizes to liberate your writing. I love books like this because it keeps me reading and writing daily.

What to Say When You're Talking to Yourself. I have a lot of self esteem issues with myself -- in just about every aspect of my personal and professional life. A good friend of mine gave this book to me as a way to help "talk myself out of that."

Jcomp
03-30-2006, 07:28 PM
1. Fears Unnamed by Tim Lebbons. Solid.

2. The Undead: Anthology. Reading because I want to submit to the 2nd anthology coming up, want to see what was accepted the first time around. Very much hit & miss on the stories read thus far.

3. I'm going to try again with The Walking by Bentley Little. I got through 2 chapters the first go at it & couldn't stand it. I'll give it one more go, then it's getting the Half Price treatment.

cool_st_elizabeth
03-30-2006, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE=CaroGirl]We all know that you can't write well if you don't read well, and I'm always on the lookout for great books and authors that I haven't yet heard of. So:

1. Murder in the Museum by Simon Brett. It was just OK, not nearly as good as his books featuring actor/detective Charles Paris.
2. Dead and Gone by Andrew Vachss. Started it late last night, and would have read more if I hadn't been so exhausted.
3. One of the 7 other books I bought from the library's used book sale. I got 8 books for $1.

Anya Smith
03-30-2006, 07:42 PM
I'm reading Shadow of the Giant by Orson Scott Card. I'm falfway through, but I can't say I like it. I read a few of the Ender series. Some were good and some were OK. This one doesn't excite me; too much politics, to much back info, for my taste. Sometimes series are worked to death, and this is one of those examples.

Before that I read Redemption Ark Alastair Reynolds. That was excellent every which way. I enjoyed it very much. I read one the previous, Revelation Space, which was also very enjoyable. He writes with a solid base of science.

AdamH
03-30-2006, 07:45 PM
1. Summer Crossing - Truman Capote. It was Okay. Not great.

2. No Great Mischief - Alistair MacLeod. Excellently written. Never read him before but so far it's really good.

3. Time's Eye and Sunstorm by Arthur C. Clarke. I'm a sucker for time travel stories.

Pat~
03-30-2006, 07:48 PM
I'm usually in the middle of countless nonfiction books, but this week I'm also finishing up Villette by Charlotte Bronte. It's considered even better than Jane Eyre in some respects; it's a great character study, and discovering some 21st century humor in a Victorian novel is kinda fun.

Next on my list is nonfiction--any one of the 7 or 8 John Piper books I have. A great thinker and writer! A good introduction to his writing is a series of essays compiled into the book A Godward Life.

aadams73
03-30-2006, 07:49 PM

1. Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot. Loved it. Very cute but nothing like the movie.

2. Before I Wake by Anne Frasier. Anne never disappoints. Her books really challenge my fears.

3. A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

oswann
03-30-2006, 07:52 PM
La Guerre Programmée - Jean François Susbielle.

Don't ask.
Os.

Stew21
03-30-2006, 07:52 PM
Good Grief - Lolly Winston - loved loved loved it.

Haven't found my next book to read yet. I'm thinking I need to take a look at a good thriller. any suggestions welcome.

aka eraser
03-30-2006, 07:54 PM
Just finished: Tad Williams' Shadowmarch. A welcome return to his fantasy roots. I enjoyed it very much.

Currently reading: Victoria Strauss' The Awakened City - sequel to The Burning Land and yep, it's a keeper.

Next up: Ray's The Pacific Between. Looking forward to savaging it.*

* ;)

roach
03-30-2006, 08:25 PM
1) Just finished the Outsiders anthology edited by Nancy Holder and Nancy Kilpatrick. Some excellent stories, more mediocre stories and a couple that were very disappointing.

2) The Princesse de Cleves by Madame de Lafayette - a 17th century french novel about the 16th century court. I like the story (sort of along the lines of Les Liaisons dangereuses). But I keep getting confused about who is who as they all have about two or three different titles.

3) The Triumph of the Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy. I read the first one a few months ago and loved it so I'm looking forward to the sequels.

NeuroFizz
03-30-2006, 08:47 PM
1. Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. I really liked this one.

2. A draft of a research paper by a former graduate student (now a professor at a Texas university) It should be ready for submission soon.

3. I have two grant proposals from the National Science Foundation and a manuscript from J. Comp. Neurol. to review (the peer review thing), so there will no pleasure reading in the next several days.

Godfather
03-30-2006, 09:06 PM
the greatest man in cedar hole by stephanie doyon,
a great, funny insight to small town life, well worth the read.

the godfather - mario puzo,
need i say more?

my fault - billy childish,
billy childish fascinates me, in that he does so much, he's released over 100 records, he paints and writes. and im looking forward to this read

threedogpeople
03-30-2006, 10:01 PM
The last substantial book (not including "junk food for the mind") I read was Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. While I think the novel could have been tightened with another edit; I could taste, smell and take a walk down the streets of India in its pages. At almost 1000 pages, I kept pushing to the end then had the wonderful feeling that I wanted to know more about the characters. Hopefully Roberts is planning/writing book 2.

Right now I'm reading two things - The Known World by Edward P. Jones, so far so good, but I'm only at Chapter 4. I'm also reading Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke. I'm about half-way through and it has been a slow read. I was talking with a friend of mine a couple of days ago about the book and she described it as "very English". The first two or three chapters were torture but it finally turned the corner and captured my imagination. If anyone has read, or is reading, this one, I'd appreciate your thoughts on the footnotes. I'm still undecided about whether or when to read them all.

Next on my reading list is either Night over Water by Ken Follett or Chainfire by Terry Goodkind. After I finish The Known World, I will probably read one of them to give my mind a break before I finish Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell.

Judy

WVWriterGirl
03-30-2006, 10:16 PM
I'm on a Terry Pratchett kick right now, so I'm reading through all his books. Here's the most recent:

Just finished: Wyrd Sisters - I really liked this one. Granny Weatherwax always makes me chuckle.

Reading now: Pyramids! - I like it so far, even though there aren't any "familiar" characters in this volume.

Next on my list - Moving Pictures Can't wait! I've got Reaper Man lined up after that, too!

writerterri
03-31-2006, 03:05 AM
The look on my cat's face and the directions on the box of what's for dinner.

Unique
03-31-2006, 03:43 PM
Five Smooth Stones

It's still the size of 3 other books stacked on top of each other.
It's still a good read.
It's not making the impression it did the first time but I'm old and
cynical now so it's not the book's fault.

janetbellinger
03-31-2006, 04:22 PM
The last book I read was In Memory of Running, by Ron McLarty. It is the kind of book that stays in your memory for a long time. I like it because it goes against popular stereotypes. For instance, a crippled woman, Norma becomes the savior of the hero. The narrator describes the beauty of his sister's catatonic pose, without once using the word schizophrenia or catatonic. The hero is fat, yet strikes out impulsively on a cross country bicycle ride, in search of his sister's remains. It is all very relevant and fresh.

Maryn
03-31-2006, 05:56 PM
What was the last book that you read? Did you enjoy it?The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, by Mark Haddon. Yes, I enjoyed it very much, even though I faced certain challenges reading it aloud to Mr. Maryn in the course of a long, long drive. My liking was further complicated by the fact that I suspect I would not enjoy spending time with any of its characters.

What are you reading right now? Are you enjoying it?A Feast for Crows, book four of George R.R. Martin's epic series A Song of Ice and Fire. I'm enjoying it, but not as much as I should be, considering the time investment. This is the shortest in the series (the publisher having demanded the fourth book be transmogrified into the fourth and fifth). I'm at about the half-way point, page 450, and it's taken me over a month to get there. I lose track of who's who.

What's next on your reading list?I've got such a stack waiting! Either Everything is Illuminated or The Pacific Between, which is expected to arrive early next week.

Maryn, who can't read complex material when she's tired but can handle TV just fine, thanks

Lucifiel
03-31-2006, 06:32 PM
1. It was one of the books from the Landover series and I lost interest halfway because there weren't many redeeming qualities in the series.

2. Beauty by Sheri Tepper. So far, it's been quite interesting though the choice of words could've been better and clearer.

3. Not entirely sure.

Forbidden Snowflake
03-31-2006, 06:40 PM
1. What was the last book that you read? Did you enjoy it?

That was Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters. It was ok, I liked Fingersmith way better. But I like the way the woman writes.
Diana Gabaldon - Number 6 of Outlander Series.

2. What are you reading right now? Are you enjoying it?

Stephen King - IT. I'm trying to find out how he writes to be able to create such amazing effects when it comes to tension.
Tad Williams - Otherland. Simple curiosity. But I have to admit the guy can't write. The story is interesting though.

3. What's next on your reading list?

Jodi Picoult - My Sister's Keeper.