PDA

View Full Version : Armless MC

Hypatia
12-21-2014, 03:03 PM
Am I just making life difficult for myself? The character just sort of can't be the same character with a more normal body.

She uses her feet for everything. That could be difficult to handle over a whole novel. It helps that she is brilliant.

She fought back against a world that never believed she could succeed at her goals. And she kept fighting, even when she had won. The way she was born is the reason she faces the problem of the plot with a will of solid steel.

Incidentally, she does gain powers, but not telekinesis as originally planned. She teleports instead.

I don't know if I can pull it off, but it just wouldn't be the same story without her.

Maryn
12-21-2014, 06:31 PM
There are people in this world who manage quite well without arms, so I'd say go for it. Do make it not a constant amazement, since this is her everyday norm.

I remember a lawsuit, decades ago, in which a woman who'd been asked to leave a grocery store because she was handling fruit with her feet won a settlement. She was in a wheelchair in order to keep her feet clean enough for shopping, since she had no arms.

Maryn, hoping this helps

WriteMinded
12-21-2014, 08:34 PM
And I remember watching a television documentary about a teen-age boy with no arms. He was as adept with his feet and toes as I am with my fingers and arms, his actions smooth and fluid. It looked so natural, I'd bet you wouldn't notice he was using his feet at the dinner table unless someone pointed it out. Your post made me think of him immediately. Just write your story. You don't have to dwell on your characters use of her feet any more than you dwell on the others' using their arms.

slhuang
12-21-2014, 08:47 PM
There's a woman with no arms who got her pilot's license.

There's a man with no arms who became a famous violinist.

There isn't much I wouldn't believe.

cmhbob
12-21-2014, 10:31 PM
Look up Nick Vujicic. I've watched several of his videos, and in those at least, he seems like the type of person who'd be willing to talk to you.

And I've seen video of a guy loading and firing (accurately) a semi-auto pistol with just his feet.

Once!
12-22-2014, 12:58 PM
Why not? I'd be interested to read about someone overcoming a physical disability. It would need careful research, but could be very effective if done well.

Layla Lawlor
12-22-2014, 01:21 PM
I like the sound of that! I have a physical disability myself, and I'm always looking for physically disabled characters in genre novels. There are never enough of them.