Lit GRE test

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone here taken the special literature GRE test? Was there a study guide or book you found helpful? Was the test harder or easier than you thought it would be? I am hoping to get some feedback on the best way to prepare for this test.

The GREs were not required for the MFA programs I applied to, but the regular GRE and the special literature GRE are required for all of the creative writing PhD programs.

Also, how important are both the GRE and literature GRE to schools? I haven't taken a test in many years, and I am a little nervous about the literature test. Any advice you can give is appreciated.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm way out of date, but my eldest son had to take such a test not long ago. He took a couple of practice tests online, and was fine. From what he tells me, the test is pretty important, but he had no trouble with it.

If yu haven't taken a test in years, you probably should pick one of teh practice tests online and give it a go. This way, you'll at least know what you're facing.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
From what I've seen online, this test is going to be harder than I thought. I haven't real found a good online practice test. If anyone knows any, please share. I was able to download a version of the special lit GRE. The questions seem tough.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
These exams are supposed to be tough. When I took the GRE exams (general and biology) several decades ago, I spent six months studying intensively prior to taking them (and scored in the 95th+ percentiles).

The GRE site has a downloadable exam.

This student has made available all of his study notes. As s/he says:
I made studying for the GRE part of my every-day life.

The Princeton Review sells a book to help students prep for the exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.