• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta for edgy/alternative Adult Fiction with romantic elements needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanrock

Registered
Reaction score
Here is my pitch, so you have an idea of what it's about: *also be warned there are A LOT of f-bombs.*

When thirty-three year-old Scott takes entertaining himself with drugs and sex to the next level, he learns what it means to survive an accidental overdose and take the path less followed. At least by his standards anyway. Thinking about actions and reactions were never his forte, but when he is introduced to love and the responsibilities that come with it, he is left with no choice but to do the right thing, no matter how hard facing his demons may be. When his attempts fail him, and he loses the love of his life, he is faced yet again with the simplest of decisions. Give up and go back to the drugs, the careless life; the only thing he knows. Or make the change that will give him the chance to hold on to the only family he has left.
The 71,000 words of my adult fiction novel, As If, follow along with Scott as he uses his wit, sarcasm and dry humor to narrate his outlandish life from his perspective.

What I'm looking for in a beta reader:

Are there any elements of the story that are unnecessary? I feel that there are parts he talks about/does that aren't relevant to the plot, but they are relevant to his character...so input on that would be helpful.

Any repetitive grammar mistakes. Not one or two here or there, but something that I'm doing consistently that makes it obvious I'm an idiot. :)

I have a SUPER hard time with internal monologue. Sometimes he thinks first person present & past tense and I never know when (or if) I should be italicizing things!! But again, the way it's written is so HIM, and integral to the way he thinks....so, feedback/suggestions welcome if you notice anything that bothers you with regards to that.

Overall likeability. Of him and the other main(ish) characters. Should there be more/less development on anyone?
Any unanswered questions?

THANKYOU!!! I'd be willing to swap, I prefer romance, YA or A. I'm not big into sci-fi unless there is a strong romanitcal element. I'll also read erotica or suspense/thriller.

Status
Not open for further replies.