PDA

View Full Version : Need beta reader for short guide

acitore
12-15-2014, 12:25 AM
Hi-
Are you a teacher or interested in moving to another country to work? I'm looking for a beta reader with one or both of these interests to go thru an 18 page guide I've written on teaching English in Mexico. All the editing is done on my part (I guarantee there are no spelling mistakes!). I have specifics I need the reader to look for and will give details on that to anyone who is interested. I'm looking for a one-week turn around on this as it's pretty simple. In exchange, I'll beta read for you up to the same amount, BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE ALREADY EDITED YOUR WRITING TO THE BEST OF YOUR ABILITY. I'm tired of an unequal exchange.
Thank you.

Maryn
12-15-2014, 02:34 AM
May I be frank? That last part is so off-putting that many people will not consider helping you. It's easy to read into is that you may feel you're better than others. Which is not to say that's what you mean, but it's certainly one way to look at it.

Asking for turn-around in a week, when it's ten days before a major holiday for many of us, may also be asking more than many can give at the moment.

Maryn, straight-shooter

acitore
12-15-2014, 05:34 AM
I'm quite aware that the holy 4 month holiday of Xmas comes to a head in 1.5 weeks. But many of us don't celebrate nor are we of that religion. I'm quite happy accepting help from Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims, atheists and Jews (who by the way, have a holiday beginning in 1 day). Kwanzaa people also welcome.

As for the other comment, it's a fact. If honesty hurts some, they can move on to the next post. No biggie.

Maryn
12-15-2014, 08:27 PM
Do be most careful that your honesty does not cross the line of AbsoluteWrite's one elemental rule, Respect Your Fellow Writer.

Maryn, preferring to skate where the ice is thick

Old Hack
12-15-2014, 08:42 PM
All the editing is done on my part (I guarantee there are no spelling mistakes!).

Ensuring there are no spelling mistakes is the work of a copyeditor, not an editor. If that's the extent of the editing you've done, you might want to draw back from looking for beta readers for now, and instead spend time doing a full edit instead. There's no point asking people to beta-read a work which hasn't been thoroughly revised.

Chase
12-15-2014, 10:10 PM
May I be frank?

I have to fully agree with Frank. Who needs insults?

If honesty hurts some, they can move on to the next post. No biggie.

No biggie--not even a smallie. Pressing naughty/ignore button and moving on. :snoopy:

Unimportant
12-15-2014, 10:31 PM
Hi-
Are you a teacher or interested in moving to another country to work? I'm looking for a beta reader with one or both of these interests to go thru an 18 page guide I've written on teaching English in Mexico. All the editing is done on my part (I guarantee there are no spelling mistakes!).
I'm not wholly convinced.... :D

I have specifics I need the reader to look for and will give details on that to anyone who is interested. I'm looking for a one-week turn around on this as it's pretty simple. In exchange, I'll beta read for you up to the same amount, BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE ALREADY EDITED YOUR WRITING TO THE BEST OF YOUR ABILITY. I'm tired of an unequal exchange.
Thank you.
I don't have anything that needs beta-reading; I usually do it 4-the-luv/to pay it forward/to help members who embody the spirit of the AW community.

I'd urge you to re-consider how you've worded your request: authors invariably edit 'to the best of their ability', but ability levels vary widely. Some people will have near-perfect manuscripts; others haven't got a clue about craft; still others may have dyslexia or similar problems that mean they simply cannot see misplaced letters or words. But all of them are looking for help, as are you, and if you can help them 'even more' than they help you, then somewhere down the line they'll pay it forward and help some other newbie get over the humps. That's how a community of writers is formed.

Fruitbat
12-16-2014, 03:16 AM
Tits-for-tats with strangers don't have a good return rate, imo. It's a ton of work without having any idea what you'll get back.

I'd either:

(1) Pay a professional editor, if you want things done your way.

Or

(2) Just request betas without offering anything back and send it to all who answer the call. Then say "Thank you" and toss whatever doesn't help you.

Betas are hard to get and you never know where the best help will come from. No point reducing your chances even further.

ETA: Or you could post it in sections in SYW and see how that goes, but you'd need to have 50 posts first.