Are You A Curmudgeon When It Comes To Writing?

Lhowling

Mischief Witch
Registered
Reaction score
When I'm writing, particularly a novel since writing novels have always been a challenge for me, I get into a zone that exacerbates my introverted ways. I'm in multiple worlds at once, and so when I come out of that, I'm mentally exhausted. I was putting up our Xmas tree with my mom today and I was just absent. And when I did come back, all I could think was "When am I gonna finish up my scene? ARGH!" :evil

If I had enough money and could bring my cat along, I'd lock myself into a cabin and bang my stories out in isolation. When they're done, I feel like I'm coming out a cave and ready for some social action (to an extent). But, when I'm writing I feel like I'm pregnant. And I want to do is carry this big ass baby to term and pop that sucker out!

Do you have similar attitudes when writing? How do your loved ones deal?

SCUBABry

The day job is the my antagonist...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
When I'm writing, particularly a novel since writing novels have always been a challenge for me, I get into a zone that exacerbates my introverted ways. I'm in multiple worlds at once, and so when I come out of that, I'm mentally exhausted.

I am a crabby butt when I write. I seriously would love a cave in the woods...far from humanity so no one could disturb me at all. I usually put on headphones and listen to classical music. With my three teen children in the house, it makes it almost impossible to find a solid hour where I can be uninterrupted. No matter where I go they find me. They are like little Hercule Poirots try to solve the mystery of where is Daddy.

Rotes

Crazy Opossum Lady
Registered
Reaction score
The pregnancy thing made me so uncomfortable.
I will never feel comfortable writing again.
I think I might be tokophobic.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
You just do.

Working a 9-5 job isn't much different than writing in this regard. You come home and it is an entirely new set of parameters. What you do is adjust and make a habit of that and leave work behind you. Same with writing.

It's not easy, sometimes, but it's part of being in a relationship with anyone.

My two cent. Feel free to ignore it ;-)

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
I get mad at my bladder for interrupting my writing. It's like how dare my body be alive and properly perform its bodily functions. Doesn't it know I'm working on a hard scene?

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd lock myself into a cabin and bang my stories out in isolation.

Oh, yes, I say this often.

I take it out on door-knocking proselytisers.

I take it out on anyone...especially those that should know better than to disturb me when I'm in deep writing or editing mode. Unless the house is on fire, of course.

I am a crabby butt when I write. I seriously would love a cave in the woods...far from humanity so no one could disturb me at all. I usually put on headphones and listen to classical music.

I can't concentrate with music playing. Thunderstorms (10-hour recording) works for me.

Lhowling

Mischief Witch
Registered
Reaction score
The pregnancy thing made me so uncomfortable.
I will never feel comfortable writing again.
I think I might be tokophobic.

Don't ever come by my house then when I've finished my novel. Placenta and poop everywhere! :evil

You just do.

Working a 9-5 job isn't much different than writing in this regard. You come home and it is an entirely new set of parameters. What you do is adjust and make a habit of that and leave work behind you. Same with writing.

It's not easy, sometimes, but it's part of being in a relationship with anyone.

My two cent. Feel free to ignore it ;-)

See, when I worked a 9-5 I was less of a curmudgeon. But, I hated my job and didn't care about my performance and secretly hoped someone would fire me so I could get severance. It's hard for me to leave something behind when I care about it! Although, I'm trying to write less and give myself more time to work on revising old projects, edit, work on marketing, etc. Hopefully this will make me less bitchy (or more, but it's sassy enough to keep people entertained).

I take it out on door-knocking proselytisers.

Not enough of those come around my neighborhood. If they did, I'd torture them into reading my stories. Out loud. Critique me and I'll talk to you all day long about Jehovah.

I am a crabby butt when I write. I seriously would love a cave in the woods...far from humanity so no one could disturb me at all. I usually put on headphones and listen to classical music.

Hmmm... cave in the woods sounds lovely. Or a nice little beach house in Key Largo. With limitless supply of rum runners!

I should try the classical music as M. S. Wiggins pointed out nature sounds. Thanks for mentioning.

I get mad at my bladder for interrupting my writing. It's like how dare my body be alive and properly perform its bodily functions. Doesn't it know I'm working on a hard scene?

I feel the same way when I'm hungry! And hunger already makes me a curmudgeon so... that's no good for anyone around!