PDA

View Full Version : Alabama CPS Procedures

Two McMillion
12-14-2014, 08:16 AM
Hey guys. So, for one of my current projects, the plot is kicked off when my MC's (age 17) mother and younger sister are kidnapped. The MC is the only witness. Her father has been missing for some time before this, and she has no other relatives that can be found easily. I'm trying to get a feel for how the state (it's set in Alabama) would react to the situation. I have some ideas from google, but I'm really struggling to nail down details, especially in the short term (less than 24 hours after the kidnapping). Any sort of insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)

WeaselFire
12-15-2014, 02:22 AM
Welcome to Absolute Write.

Kidnapped or abducted? No way to answer your question without a lot
more details. And really, the details don't matter, do they? What matters is what you need to happen for your story.

Tell us what you need to happen and we can provide suggestions as to how to make it plausible and, in the reader's mind, believable.

Jeff

Two McMillion
12-15-2014, 04:39 AM
Welcome to Absolute Write.

Kidnapped or abducted? No way to answer your question without a lot
more details. And really, the details don't matter, do they? What matters is what you need to happen for your story.

Tell us what you need to happen and we can provide suggestions as to how to make it plausible and, in the reader's mind, believable.

Jeff

I'm not clear on the differences between kidnapping and abduction. My limited googling (ie, thirty seconds ago before I started writing this post) suggests that both are applicable.

As far as what NEEDS to happen, I had planned on having her end up at a friend's house where she would meet up with the other two main characters before trying to do a little investigating of her own. She has clues about the abduction which she can't share with the police because she acquired them using superpowers, which she is really, really not supposed to have. So I guess the main thing is that she needs a way to contact the other main characters and also some time when she's not being completely watched so she can execute her plan. I feel like I could work that into just about any series of events, but I prefer verisimilitude when I can get it.

ULTRAGOTHA
12-15-2014, 09:13 AM
If her friends go to school with her, she can just meet up with them at school. You could make sure she ends up near her same school, which is not unplausible.

Taejang
12-15-2014, 07:44 PM
I'm not clear on the differences between kidnapping and abduction. My limited googling (ie, thirty seconds ago before I started writing this post) suggests that both are applicable.
I looked up the difference between abduction and kidnapping and found conflicting definitions. But all sources agreed that some states treat them differently, according to their applicable laws.

You should look up Alabama state law definitions of abduction and kidnapping, and use that as your guide. As some definitions of abduction vs kidnapping focus on whether the public knows the reason an individual was captured, it could well play into how law enforcement approaches the problem.

WeaselFire
12-16-2014, 05:37 AM
If she's the only witness, and she doesn't tell the police, then there's no involvement of law enforcement at all. They don't know it happened.

Does that work?

By the way, in many jurisdictions, kidnapping requires the use or threat or force and usually a criminal intent. Abduction is simply taking someone without their consent.

Taking of a minor is always a Federal kidnap charge, but somebody in law enforcement has to believe a kidnap took place. A 13-year-old going to a friend's and not telling her mom versus a 13-year-old running away versus the same 13-year-old leaving with two 30-year-old males versus that same 13-year-old being dragged into an unmarked van are all the same event if nobody sees it.

Jurisdictions treat abductions and kidnaps similarly, or sometimes differently. Depends on where and what the law is.

Jeff