Whatever Happened to E W Count?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It certainly will do no harm to contact her publisher(s). Do you have any feel for her age, general health, etc.? Occasionally I'll learn that someone I 'knew' online, or whose writing I enjoyed, has died or now suffers such poor health that he or she can no longer write.

On the flipside, it could be that she simply tired of the genre, or wasn't selling well enough, and has turned her writing attentions elsewhere, under a pseudonym.

Let us know what you find out, okay? Thanks.

Maryn, not a walrus--yet

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
EggwardTheWalrus said:
She was described as '[the] author [who] knows more about New York City cops than any civilian going', whatever happened to E W Count, author of 1990 crime novel 'The Hundred Percent Squad' and co-author of 1994 'Cop Talk: True Detective Stories from the NYPD'? She seems to have disappeared off of the face of the Earth, or at least the Internet, which is worse.

It's a long shot, but was anybody on this board a member of the now defunct Prodigy's online group 'Cops & Crime' which she moderated? Reading the three scant online articles about her, she started out as a journalist and moved on to crime writing and is - or was - a bona fide expert. I would sorely like to email her and ask about her work, but the very old email address I found no longer works.

It is really, really bugging me about what happened to her, does anybody have any idea? In my opinion, she was a good writer, Publisher's Weekly certainly seemed to worship her, and was affiliated with major houses. Perhaps I should email her publishers, what does everybody think?

Eggward The Walrus.

I don't know, but it's a good question. I never really knew much about her, other than reading a truly horrible review of "The Hundred Percent Squad," and trying to read the book despite the bad review. I couldn't get through it.
Just as the review said, there was no mystery, and the dialogue was atrocious.

Despite this, I thought she had talent, and I was surprised to never hear of her again. Maybe she wasn't given the chance to write a better book?