PDA

View Full Version : Stumped by query reply

quianaa2001
12-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Uh... so a little bit ago I got THE MOST CONFUSING Email from an Agent. In response to a query. It said:

""I am sick. Thank you.""

I'm leaning towards assuming that's a no? O.o

Thoughts? Please help.

TheCuriousOne
12-10-2014, 06:48 PM
Is that all it says? I'd be stumped as well. And to top it all, I don't think that looks very professional. If that's a no, he/she could at least say so. That sounds to me like "I'm off sick at the moment, I'll get in touch later" but still, a bit more information would have been really helpful for you.

Aggy B.
12-10-2014, 06:48 PM
Uh... so a little bit ago I got THE MOST CONFUSING Email from an Agent. In response to a query. It said:

""I am sick. Thank you.""

I'm leaning towards assuming that's a no? O.o

Thoughts? Please help.

I imagine that means "closed to queries at this time". Which is a little different than no, because it leaves the door open to query later.

chompers
12-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Maybe they accidentally responded to the wrong person?

Kallithrix
12-10-2014, 06:59 PM
I'd take that at face value - the agent is sick, and not up to answering emails. The curtness of the response supports that - when I'm sick, the last thing I feel like doing is composing an email. At least they had the courtesy to notify you, so that you weren't just sitting there wondering why they hadn't replied.

I'd leave it a couple of weeks, and then maybe reply to that email with a polite 'I hope you are feeling better, and look forward to your response to my query in due course' - and make sure the original query is pasted at the bottom of that email, if it isn't already part of the chain.

If you still get no response from that, then a polite follow up email in a month/6 weeks wouldn't hurt. If still no response, then it's a no.

But honestly, if you get a reply saying someone is sick, unless it was an automated response, I'd take it as a courtesy they thought to notify you at all.

quianaa2001
12-10-2014, 07:03 PM
Thanks everyone! :) I just wasn't sure how to take it after reading it. Totally left me scratching my head. lol
:D

Cyia
12-10-2014, 08:11 PM
It's probably an auto-reply set-up to alert all incoming email senders that the agent is out of the office.

Maryn
12-10-2014, 08:28 PM
That's how I read it, too, an auto-reply letting email senders know they are not being deliberately ignored--and terse because damn it, the agent feels awful.

Maryn, grouchy when ill

Phaeal
12-10-2014, 10:21 PM
Maryn and others in same vein are probably right, but I'd like to think my query was so damn transgressive that it made the agent ill with shock, losing so many sanity points per second he or she had to be terse.

quianaa2001
12-10-2014, 10:39 PM
Maryn and others in same vein are probably right, but I'd like to think my query was so damn transgressive that it made the agent ill with shock, losing so many sanity points per second he or she had to be terse.

LMAO!!! :roll:

That was TOTALLY what I thought!!! I was like "my query has made the agent sooo sick and grossed out!!!" :e2thud:

Jamesaritchie
12-10-2014, 10:46 PM
If that's an auto-reply , it's a stupid one. If it's all the agent said, it's also stupid. That's not an agent I'd want.

stormie
12-10-2014, 10:46 PM
I agree with all the others that it's a form email. You could requery at a later date. And I also agree my second thought was, "That query really made my stomach turn. Thank you for doing that to me." But we're just kidding. :D

Whimsigirl
12-10-2014, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I agree. I would requery in a few weeks and add a nice note hoping that the agent is feeling better.

quianaa2001
12-11-2014, 02:11 AM
I sent the query on 10/29/2014 so not really sure if that adds anything to the situation. *shrug*

Also misread it said ""I am sick. Thank you for you patience.""

So still lost IDK... :flag:

Aggy B.
12-11-2014, 03:17 AM
I sent the query on 10/29/2014 so not really sure if that adds anything to the situation. *shrug*

Also misread it said ""I am sick. Thank you for you patience.""

So still lost IDK... :flag:
That sounds like "I'll get to this once I'm healthy".

Sage
12-11-2014, 03:44 AM
Yeah, to me, that sounds like a courtesy e-mail sent to let the authors in her inbox why her responses are taking longer than usual.

Ferret
12-11-2014, 03:56 AM
Have you checked the agent's Twitter or website? There might be more information about the agent's illness. This could give you an idea of when and whether you should follow up.

Old Hack
12-11-2014, 10:52 AM
It sounds to me like it's an auto-response, and nothing more.

blacbird
12-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Seems pretty straightforward to me. At least they didn't say "You are sick."

caw

Kallithrix
12-11-2014, 10:25 PM

That's quite a while now, so unless they were really ill with some sort of disease, I'd assume they're better by now. Have you sent a follow up? If not, I'd send a polite nudge (unless their submission guidelines state responses typically take longer than this).

LOL! Have you got one of those, Blac? ;)

Moonchild
12-12-2014, 01:50 AM

Or "You make me sick!" :roll:

(Seriously now, though, I agree with others: Probably an auto-reply. Sure, a bit curt, but maybe she was projectile vomiting and that was all she had time to type up before heading home sick!)

Gillhoughly
12-12-2014, 02:01 AM
I'm sure that reply made perfect sense to the agent's no doubt highly medicated brain.

Move on to the next name on your list, don't worry about this one.

gingerwoman
12-12-2014, 02:33 PM
If that's an auto-reply , it's a stupid one. If it's all the agent said, it's also stupid. That's not an agent I'd want.

Are you sure this is a legitimate agent? I mean you would think a good agent would send something that sounded more professional as an auto-response? No?

quicklime
12-12-2014, 06:33 PM

I am with JAR, with the exception of if this was somehow sent in error. Maybe it wasn't meant for you, but if that was an auto-reply, or their idea of normal correspondence in reply to a query letter (important caveat, that: was this the reply to your query sub, or to some follow-up you had? we kind of got their reply in a vacuum in your original post), I'd be somewhat (very) hesitant about that agent.

Bufty
12-12-2014, 09:05 PM
Guys - the original post misquoted the message, which apparently read in full - "I am sick. Thank you for you patience."

Based upon that and not even knowing who the Agent was I'm not prepared to comment beyond saying that I find nothing strange about it at all and if I had received it I would wait a month or so then follow it up with an expression that I did hope she was feeling better and able to get onto tackling what I hoped wasn't too daunting a backlog.

The message was brief and concise and to the point - maybe even sent by an underling.

quicklime
12-12-2014, 09:57 PM
Guys - the original post misquoted the message, which apparently read in full - "I am sick. Thank you for you patience."

Based upon that and not even knowing who the Agent was I'm not prepared to comment beyond saying that I find nothing strange about it at all and if I had received it I would wait a month or so then follow it up with an expression that I did hope she was feeling better and able to get onto tackling what I hoped wasn't too daunting a backlog.

The message was brief and concise and to the point - maybe even sent by an underling.

If this is true that is entirely different, and I'm a bit curious as to why the OP edited the reply so heavily if she (presumably) wanted thoughts on the unedited reply she had received....

Bufty
12-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Post #14. Not so sure the message was edited at all - maybe it was wrongly quoted from memory or was a messed up copy-and-paste. The Query was over a month earlier but either way it doesn't help matters or reflect upon the Agent.

If this is true that is entirely different, and I'm a bit curious as to why the OP edited the reply so heavily if she (presumably) wanted thoughts on the unedited reply she had received....

stormie
12-16-2014, 12:44 AM
If that's what it said ( I just read post #14), then the agent might still be considering the query. That's not a strange email. Just an honest update to those querying.