PDA

View Full Version : About half of the top 100 romance ebooks on Kindle are self-published?

AdamNeymars
12-10-2014, 09:06 AM
You can take a look for yourself here but it looks like Self publishing is making major inroad in romance ebook sales.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kindle-Store-Romance/zgbs/digital-text/158566011
Best Sellers in Romance
Top 100 Paid

Sci fi and fantasy ebooks are also very well represented.

cornflake
12-10-2014, 10:39 AM
That's just a list of the top 100 paid romance ebooks on kindle, which a. is continually updated, b. one would have to go through and click on every one to figure out which are, by which time the list would have changed, and c. would mean absolutely nothing I can figure if half were self-pubbed,

Old Hack
12-10-2014, 11:39 AM
Adam, you started an almost identical thread in our Round Table in June of this year (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292157). Several of our members showed that you'd presented no meaningful statistics or evidence in that thread, and that you failed to put forward any reliable argument in favour of your hypothesis, and as you didn't return to prove those points wrong the thread was locked with this comment:

I'm going to close this one before it has a chance to get contentious. I agree, the poll is flawed and the question is nearly meaningless.

If you have some good reasons for wanting to continue this particular discussion, PM us and we'll take it all into consideration.

Questions about percentages, sales, etc. are not useful to explore without clear, firm, and well-defined data. Projections into the future based on anecdotal information are only interesting if people want to discuss how they would like the future to unfold. If that's the topic, it should be stated clearly as such, not disguised as some kind of statistical projection.

It's pointless to argue what will or will not happen, because as has been pointed out, there are far too many variables and unknowns to take into account. No prediction can be accurate.

Peace out.

I'm going to give you a second chance here. But there are conditions.

I want you to provide meaningful, verified evidence which supports your case. That doesn't mean a quick link to the Amazon charts: it means documentation, proper statistics, information which relies on more than a single snapshot, and a coherent argument rather than a quick one-liner.

I'd like you to discuss how the Kindle market is positioned within the book trade as a whole (that means, talk about print books too and both online and physical sales) which will give a better picture of the romance market.

If you can do this then we can discuss this properly.

Everyone else, you're welcome to put forward your own views but please remember our one rule. Thanks.

RedWombat
12-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Thanks, Old Hack, I had sudden crashing déjà vu there...