I'm having mixed emotions about this...

AndreF

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure. I keep asking my self the same questions over and over again.

I tried researching the matter but haven't seen a lot support out there.

But I have to come out and say it.

I think I'm an asshole.

I try being nice to people. I want good things to happen to people. But sometimes ... well you know.

I find myself just holding myself back when dealing with people. Someone will say and do something and the first thing that pops in my mind and lunges toward the tip of my tongue is something I need to hold back because its not the nicest thing to say.

Today I saw a petrified cheeseburger and things that came to mind were not going to be nice things.

Someone wanted to haggle with me on an item that was being sold for $40. I almost told them it was obvious they haven't been shopping around too hard for this item because if they had they'd realize they couldn't find it any where else for that price.

Customer walked up to me and asked what time we closed. I almost replied "Well if you'd seen the sign as big as your truck you'd know we close at 5 pm or how 'bout the one that's on the damn door you open it has the whole schedule right there!"

Boss said we need to make a sign announcing some event. I said why bother people wouldn't read it anyway. They're either blind or stupid. You're just wasting paper at this point.

Last week at 4:53 a group of people walk in. With seven minutes to go I waited patiently for them to leave. Perhaps they were getting something they've been looking at for a while and ran into get it. Nope.

And then is when I realized I might be an asshole.

I started turning lights off. Customer replied "Closing up shop?"

I almost replied "Nope just getting the day started."

IT GETS BETTER!

Our lighting in the back area lights the boarder and the middle of the area. Some people were carrying on. We started shutting lights off. I hear a man say Okay we need to go.

The people kept talking.

I walked over to the main breaker box.

The people were still talking.

I did the most liberating thing. I flipped a switch and half the area was in darkness. Just enough light for their butts to see the exit.

Conversation immediately halted. All I heard was feet making their way to the front.

Boss didn't want to me ask people or inform people that we were closing. Didn't say a thing about shutting lights off on people.

So yeah I think I'm an asshole.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
you seem to me a totally fair, reasonable and courteous person.

i wouldn't worry too much about it.

Locke

Lost the instruction manual
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you've been in retail for a while. I feel your pain. If there's anything my years in retail have taught me, it's that people don't read signs.

KaiReader

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaireader.com
Sounds like you need a holiday!

Seriously though, I'm just jealous you have the guts to express your inner asshole... I do all these things in my head but rarely reveal them to the world!

Downside is when all the asshole has built up inside me all day, the family has to deal with me not pulling punches when I get cranky at home :whip:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I have worked retail: I worked in a toy store. At Christmas. And it wasn't the kids, it was the 'grown-ups'. :rant:
I have worked with the public (library clerk). :gaah
I will not derail your thread with many, many examples of people behaving badly. I just want to say that I feel for you, brother.:Hug2:
And, I don't think you're an asshole. You've just had a bad run of customers. Hang in there. Soon the Christmas frazzle will be just a memory.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I was just thinking today about a guy I knew in grad school who would start flipping the circuit breakers in the laboratory at 5PM when his students were supposed to leave. The kiddies were doing computer work, too, just to drive home to you all what a complete bag of dicks he was being about it.

On the one hand, he was a complete asshole in more ways than just that. On the other, the rest of us held him in awe for dealing so decisively with students who were, after all, forcing us to stay late without pay, which is assholish behaviour in itself.

From one angle: asshole. From another: hero. Just own it. :D

Last edited:

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
"Call me asshole...one more time..."

Okay, Andre, you're an asshole.:D

And quite frankly, so am I, because I'm unwilling to put up with rudeness to the same degree that others will. Holiday season or no, customers, while they do have the right to get pissed off if they don't get what they want (not that this happened to you, just making a generalization) do NOT have the right to make you wait after legit closing hours.

Therefore, you weren't being an asshole this time. Just being reasonable. If you do this on a continuous basis and if there's no justification for it, then okay...maybe someone could make a case that you're not the nicest person around. But this time, nah...I've worked in customer service my whole adult life and trust me, you did the right thing.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I've also worked in retail at Christmas and I also feel your pain, brother.

Well done for handling it that way and not getting into a row with the customers.

AndreF

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you've been in retail for a while. I feel your pain. If there's anything my years in retail have taught me, it's that people don't read signs.

Off and on for several years. My previous job was a warehousing thing. (Five years) my retail skills came in handy when telling a truck driver he drove hundreds of miles for nothing. (They would need a BOL (Bill of Lading) and the site manager is the only one that can process one. A job security thing really because if anyone can do it then who needs him? So it was always interesting to tell a person they couldn't go home because they needed to wait an extra 24 hours because your boss is a lazy prick.)

I have worked retail: I worked in a toy store. At Christmas. And it wasn't the kids, it was the 'grown-ups'. :rant:
I have worked with the public (library clerk). :gaah
I will not derail your thread with many, many examples of people behaving badly. I just want to say that I feel for you, brother.:Hug2:
And, I don't think you're an asshole. You've just had a bad run of customers. Hang in there. Soon the Christmas frazzle will be just a memory.

Thank you and maybe we should set up a thread and swap stories. Provided there isn't already one set up. Maybe we can call it 34 days of madness. (Making room for those days when people make Holiday returns)

Ah, I was just thinking today about a guy I knew in grad school who would start flipping the circuit breakers in the laboratory at 5PM when his students were supposed to leave. The kiddies were doing computer work, too, just to drive home to you all what a complete bag of dicks he was being about it.

On the one hand, he was a complete asshole in more ways than just that. On the other, the rest of us held him in awe for dealing so decisively with students who were, after all, forcing us to stay late without pay, which is assholish behaviour in itself.

From one angle: asshole. From another: hero. Just own it. :D

Good point. And yes I will own it.

Customer service makes assholes of us all.

That should be a T-shirt. :D So very true.

That must have been so satisfying.

Oh, yes, very satisfying.

I really thank you all for letting me know your thoughts on this.
http://absolutewrite.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In one of my social circles, "asshole" is a high compliment. It says, "You're one of us."

It doesn't happen to be the AW social circle, but that's OK.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes the only thing to do is turn off the lights. Sounds like that was one of those times.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
I started turning lights off. Customer replied "Closing up shop?"

You forgot the last part of the line!

"Here's your sign."

Yeah, I definitely see the retail chip has settled nicely in place. It will grow if you feed it... I speak from experience...

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Speaking as a customer, you should have totally done that. You know, but with a smile. I would have totally laughed.

Locke

Registered
Reaction score
Off and on for several years. My previous job was a warehousing thing. (Five years) my retail skills came in handy when telling a truck driver he drove hundreds of miles for nothing. (They would need a BOL (Bill of Lading) and the site manager is the only one that can process one. A job security thing really because if anyone can do it then who needs him? So it was always interesting to tell a person they couldn't go home because they needed to wait an extra 24 hours because your boss is a lazy prick.)
Heh, not only did I serve my time in retail (including several mall stores, which are hell during Christmas), but I also worked five years for a truck stop. Handling truckers definitely requires an entirely different approach to customer service.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
Handling truckers definitely requires an entirely different approach to customer service.

aw member quickwit can certainly offer some additional insight into this as well.

he works the woodrow wilson rest stop north and southbound, between exit 7 & 7A of the nj turnpike.
nights and wkends mostly.

Locke

Registered
Reaction score
Sheesh, if there's a place to find some disgruntled drivers, that'd be the one.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Yeah, that's not asshole, that's retail worker in the holiday season. I really detest this culture we've, well, cultivated of "customer > employee," everything they do or say trumps us, and they can get away with things anyone who HAS worked retail would never dare try. I think you handled the situation in a reasonable manner.

And I would be down for a retail stories/customer support/public service thread.