First Draft Completed by 04 July 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonAtreides

Rooting for the villain
Registered
Reaction score
Just adding my goal here for future reference. I'm 22,000 words in and aiming for 80,000 which I think I can complete by July 4th, 2015. That gives me 207 days from today to complete 58,000 words so... 280 words per day - which is about 2 hours/day for me.

To be honest, completing the novel in 2015 or even just completing it at all is a pretty big victory, so if I don't make my goal by then, I won't be crushed. Still, I'd have to reschedule my book tour and that would be inconvenient. ;)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with the goal! It sounds doable, but just push the tour dates forward as necessary.

DonAtreides

Rooting for the villain
Registered
Reaction score
So, after all that time I'm up to.... 23,500 words. A little short of my goal. :) <Excuses here.>... but now I'm back on it. I axed one chapter entirely and had to re-write it so it that took some time.

So I think my new goal will be 50,000 words total by the end of the year, which seems feasible. The trick is to find something tasty to feed my motivation monster.

LeilaH

Registered
Reaction score
I find sitting down with a cup of tea and a chunk or two of chocolate a very civilised daily reward. :D Good luck with the new target.

inthewritemind

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with the new target! I agree with LeilaH. Find a daily reward that helps you write!
I always find that tracking my progress and setting smaller weekly goals helps me to stay on track too

egearbox

Registered
Reaction score
Every bit helps! Congrats on getting to 23,500 words! I have huge amounts of notes, outlines, graphs, and charts, now all I have to do is sit down and use them. :)

DonAtreides

Rooting for the villain
Registered
Reaction score
Every bit helps! Congrats on getting to 23,500 words! I have huge amounts of notes, outlines, graphs, and charts, now all I have to do is sit down and use them. :)

Thanks! Up to 27,000 words now, but I've hit a slow point at the moment.

Good luck on yours!

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know if it helps or not, but I've found the magic ingredient is to write every day, even if it's just a few hundred words.

But no matter how you pursue it, I wish you well in completing your novel. You can do this! :)

DonAtreides

Rooting for the villain
Registered
Reaction score
I so failed at my goal - but I haven't given up. I'm up to 30k words now and going strong (for now).

My new goal (so I can laugh at its optimism later) is to have 60k words done by 2017.

danthony

Registered
Reaction score
One thing that really helps me is keeping a writing log. I put down the date, the word count I started the day with, and where I ended and how many words I wrote that day. That way when I have a really pathetic day it fires me up for the next one. It also encourages me to write every day and not just when inspiration strikes. It's made a huge difference in my writing productivity.

Anyway, congrats on your progress last year and good luck on hitting your goal in 2016!!!

DonAtreides

Rooting for the villain
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I seem unusually motivated lately, so it's going well. I'm up to 31,600 at the moment. I'd blame it on the New Year, but I think it's probably more likely just having some time off of work. Either way, I'll take it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.