#@$%* English!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elwyn

Registered
Reaction score
Of the two sentences below, which one is "more" correct and why? Anyone have a clue?

but certainly is not limited to........
but is certainly not limited to.......

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The second one.

Now, where's those grammar gurus. . . .

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
The second one. I vaguely remember something about those little words always coming before the verb. Now, why that was, no clue ;)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Elwyn said:
Of the two sentences below, which one is "more" correct and why? Anyone have a clue?

The second one, and I'll tell you why. The modifier in these examples is "certainly". In the sense that you want to convey, certainly has to modify the word "not", not the word "is". You want to say "certainly not", not "certainly is". Clear as mud yet? Essentially, the first sentence contains a misplaced modifier and is therefore incorrect.

Hope this helps.

Strongbadia

Registered
Reaction score
You should post the whole sentence. A fragment does not tell the whole story.

Deleted member 42

Elwyn said:

I'd rather see the context, but this is a question of usage and style, not grammar.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
Medievalist said:
I'd rather see the context, but this is a question of usage and style, not grammar.
I agree. The grammar is correct in each, but the emphasis differs. Say them out loud, stressing by turns the "certainly" and the "not" in the various places and the one that you want will probably grab you. On the other hand, most likely you have already tried that approach.

Elwyn

Registered
Reaction score
The target audience includes, but is certainly not limited to, young adults who read fantasy/adventure/science fiction.

vs.

The target audience includes, but certainly is not limited to, young adults who read fantasy/adventure/science fiction.

Thank you all on this!:Hug2:

To me, good writing cannot always be grammatically correct. Sometimes correct grammar can make sentences read and sound clunky. But, when writing a query letter, I’m afraid that the reader is looking for correct grammar; but I really don’t know for sure.

Last edited:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
in the full sentences, you changed the order of them, so based on the full sentences, the first one is correct.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
ColoradoGuy said:
I agree. The grammar is correct in each, but the emphasis differs. Say them out loud, stressing by turns the "certainly" and the "not" in the various places and the one that you want will probably grab you. On the other hand, most likely you have already tried that approach.
I think this absolutely is a grammar question, about misplaced modifiers. I’m not sure when you would ever, in a negative sentence, want certainly to modify “is” instead of “not.” Can you guys explain that to me cuz I’s confloozed? (but always ready to learn something noo).

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
The second one because its larger. :)

Elwyn

Registered
Reaction score
Huh?

CaroGirl said:
I think this absolutely is a grammar question, about misplaced modifiers. I’m not sure when you would ever, in a negative sentence, want certainly to modify “is” instead of “not.” Can you guys explain that to me cuz I’s confloozed? (but always ready to learn something noo).

In the above statement, I would have written "want to certainly modify" vs. "want certainly to modify."

I'd probably be wrong, but it just sounds better to me.;)

Actually, I'd leave out certainly because it seems confusing (to me).

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Elwyn said:
The target audience includes, but is certainly not limited to, young adults who read fantasy/adventure/science fiction.

vs.

The target audience includes, but certainly is not limited to, young adults who read fantasy/adventure/science fiction.

I'd remove certainly. It's excess baggage.

I prefer the second, but not for a grammatical reason. Both are grammatically correct; it's a style / usage issue.

It's not a misplaced modifier. Parse the sentence.

Deleted member 42

Elwyn said:
In the above statement, I would have written "want to certainly modify" vs. "want certainly to modify."

I'd probably be wrong, but it just sounds better to me.;)

Actually, I'd leave out certainly because it seems confusing (to me).

Oh dear . . . here comes the dreaded split infinitive chasm . . .

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
I decide each of these on the facts of the case and on sound. "The target audience...certainly is not limited to..." has a defensive tone. You'd use it to rebut a previous assertion that the audience was limited to...

"Is your mother a prostitute?"
"She certainly is not!"

If you're merely emphasizing that the audience isn't limited to..., "is certainly not limited" works. As above, though, you don't need "certainly" this time.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Certainly

I, too, would remove "certainly." Having said that, I think it is a grammar problem. It should be "certainly not."

Strongbadia

Registered
Reaction score
What sentence are all of you even talking about? It does not seem clear to me what you are correcting.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Adverbs are a very strange thing -- they can go almost anywhere.

Certainly it's not limited to...

It's certainly not limited to...

It certainly is not limited to...

It's not limited to, certainly,...

It comes down to what sounds the best...

veronie

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.preferredword.com
This has been said already, but I wanted to affirm it. Both sentences are correct, but they each say something a little different.

"but certainly is not limited to ..." This sentence indicates the speaker/writer is sure (certain) that the issue at hand is not limited to ...

"but is certainly not limited to ..." This sentence indicates that the issue at hand is surely (certainly) not limited to ...

You see the difference?

luxintenebrae

Registered
Reaction score
Reading these posts, it began to feel like when you repeat a word over and over in your head until it doesn't sound like a real word anymore. Now "certainly" looks like a funny word to me. :tongue

But I agree. I thought adverbs could be put almost anywhere in a sentence, depending on what style and tone the writer is trying to express. I think the placement of "certainly" can suggest not only a defensive tone, but also can give the sentence a more formal or conversational tone. That's why they're fun to play around with.

luxintenebrae

Registered
Reaction score
veronie said:
This has been said already, but I wanted to affirm it. Both sentences are correct, but they each say something a little different.

"but certainly is not limited to ..." This sentence indicates the speaker/writer is sure (certain) that the issue at hand is not limited to ...

"but is certainly not limited to ..." This sentence indicates that the issue at hand is surely (certainly) not limited to ...

You see the difference?

I guess, after reading them over several times, it sort of seemed like each could mean something different. But when I reversed them, imagining the speaker was certain in the 2nd one and the issue was certainly in the 1st one, they sounded fine that way, too. Seems a bit ambiguous.

Deleted member 42

maestrowork said:
Adverbs are a very strange thing -- they can go almost anywhere.

The only requirement is that there be a verb--and the copula "be" counts.

In case anyone was dying of curiousity, this is one of the few totally cool things Modern English inherited, syntacticly, from Old English.

Yeah, I thought y'all would be ecstatic ;)

Strongbadia

Registered
Reaction score
reph said:
The sentence is in post #1 of this thread.

Neither example is a complete sentence. It is a little difficult to give a right or wrong answer when the rest of the sentence is not given. It is also difficult to give an answer when the anaphoric reference is not present. I would like to see what is before the conjunction.

Status
Not open for further replies.