I can't write to Jingle Bells

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone else write at Starbucks? I go there for a change of scenery and usually get a lot done while I am there. Tonight, I had a harder time because they are now playing Christmas music. Usually, I can block anything out, but hearing these songs tonight was a distraction. It was hard for me to focus while Jingle Bells was playing. It was hard to think about my subject matter during Silent Night. For someone who is not easily distracted, I was surprised that these songs got to me. Maybe it's because we all know all the words or because it was somehow making me more excited about the season than my writing. I don't want to give up Starbucks for a month. How do I block this out? Or do you think I will get used to it enough to no longer affect me?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
You could bring your own music and headphones during this month.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hap, that's a very cool link! :D

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I can write anywhere, under any conditions, if I have to, but I don't like writing to any songs that have lyrics, whatever they are.

We no longer have a Starbucks here, thank goodness, but I often do write in places with music playing. Primarily, a local redneck bar, but I seldom hear Jingle Bells played there.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I never listen to music when I write at home so I don't want to bring my own headphones to play my own music. I think that actually would be more of a distraction for me. I am getting ready to try it again. I hope this is just something that I will be able to adjust to and eventually block out the way I can when they have regular music in the background. Wish me luck. .

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cheap earplugs...

There are many varieties; I prefer the soft ones that you smash down and then stick inside your ear and they expand.

You could also use headphones and listen to some kind of background noise you're not inclined to pay any attention to (sometimes I do this with recorded college lectures I've listened to over and over and over again), if you have such a thing going.

More expensive option is noise-canceling headphones :)

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
used to work in retail as a vendor
a lot of down time / wrote during it
musac musac musac
solution --> got up on a ladder and taped cardboard over the speaker
worked like a charm / no one even noticed :)
maybe try something similar at starbucks

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I put on headphones just to block out the other noise. Usually I have instrumental music on, but sometimes I just want to block it the rest out.

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
or - go with it. Use it. Milk it. See what happens. Magic might sneak in....

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Headphones are my friends. I play the same CD over and over -- A Decade of Steely Dan is the current favorite. That way, those particular songs become my Pavlovian prompts to write, write, write.

I only have a problem with "My Old School," because I have to sing along with that one.

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
I'm seriously envious of anyone who can multitask where music is concerned.

I can concentrate and continue writing through any sort of noise - talking, sirens, general mayhem (heh, I've got three young boys and multiple gaming systems going at any one time). But music just gets me. I hum, I sing, I tap out the rhythm, I chair-dance... Music is just too strong of a force for me to try and overcome.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Noise reducing headphones and music or white noise that you CAN write to.

I can't write to the sound of yelling kids, video games or my teenager on Skype, either, but I can write to the sounds of my "songs for writing" playlist.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm seriously envious of anyone who can multitask where music is concerned.

I can concentrate and continue writing through any sort of noise - talking, sirens, general mayhem (heh, I've got three young boys and multiple gaming systems going at any one time). But music just gets me. I hum, I sing, I tap out the rhythm, I chair-dance... Music is just too strong of a force for me to try and overcome.

It's funny, but when I'm home, working in my office, I almost always listen to Old Time Radio when writing. Old radio dramas and comedies, science fiction, horror, you name it. This works fine. I can listen to these and write at the same time. No problem. http://www.otrnow.com/otrnow/

I can also listen to music, as long as it doesn't have lyrics.

Lyrics are my Waterloo. I have no idea why I can pay attention to a radio show without having it interfere with my writing, but can't do teh same with lyrics. I suspect it's because as soon as lyrics start, I find myself singing along, usually at full voice, and the writing just stops.

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
It's funny, but when I'm home, working in my office, I almost always listen to Old Time Radio when writing. Old radio dramas and comedies, science fiction, horror, you name it. This works fine. I can listen to these and write at the same time. No problem. http://www.otrnow.com/otrnow/

I can also listen to music, as long as it doesn't have lyrics.

Lyrics are my Waterloo. I have no idea why I can pay attention to a radio show without having it interfere with my writing, but can't do teh same with lyrics. I suspect it's because as soon as lyrics start, I find myself singing along, usually at full voice, and the writing just stops.

Ha! When I first read this my mind went to "Old Time (bluegrass) Music", and I thought NNOOO! I would be flat footin' in my chair.

But, yes, I could easily listen to those old radio dramas, etc. and continue to write... It's funny how our brains process different sounds.

Great link! Thanks!

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
I was beta-reading at Starbucks today and forgot my headphones. Usually they're always with me when I write somewhere besides home. Ah, well. ^_^;;

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
I'm another one who can write to some instrumental music, but not to anything with words in.
And I've got blinking Jingle Bells complete with sleigh bells banging on in my head right now, thanks to this thread......:)
And no I don't especially want to write with that - cup of tea, walk away for five minutes, forget it and come back......:D

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
I always wear my headphones when I write, but usually with nothing playing on them. God knows why but it works for me!

If I was trying to cover up some other noise I'd probably listen to one of those recordings of rain or distant thunderstorms. They are awesome to write to.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
If I was trying to cover up some other noise I'd probably listen to one of those recordings of rain or distant thunderstorms. They are awesome to write to.

Check out the app Noisli

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
I write in Starbucks before work and I have the same problem - already sick and tired of Xmas music, and still three weeks to go!

This morning it made me very pissed off. But that sort of put me in the right frame of mind to start a new and very dark short story.

I am also someone who doesn't write to music at home. I prefer peace and quiet when writing. Music is distracting.

Winfred

Registered
Reaction score
Beta Readers?

I was beta-reading at Starbucks today and forgot my headphones. Usually they're always with me when I write somewhere besides home. Ah, well. ^_^;;

Hi!

Another writer advised I should find "Beta Readers". I asked him what that is. He didn't exactly answer in the larger subject of the email. You say you are a Beta Reader. Does that simply mean you are in a writer or readers group?

Thanks!
Winfred

Last edited:

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Do you have another local coffee shop you can visit without Christmas music?

You can get noise cancelling earphones (expensive)

You can wear a headset plugged into your music on your Iphone and listen to whatever music you like (free, if you've got the music on there)

Christmas music is fine, but I also get distracted by the lyrics. I can listen to Bluegrass (my fave), rock, classical, jazz, or anything else while writing and I'm do just fine.

I can't stand Starbucks. If I write at a coffee shop, it's usually at a locally owned one, or at Peet's Coffee.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Hi!

Another writer advised I should find "Beta Readers". I asked him what that is. He didn't exactly answer in the larger subject of the email. You say you are a Beta Reader. Does that simply mean you are in a writer or readers group?

Thanks!
Winfred

A beta reader is someone who reads an unpublished work and gives an opinion. You can beta read in coffee shops if you want. :D

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Well I can't write to Christmas music. But I also have very ... particular taste in music.

Like I love Sonata's or bands like Assemblage 23. So I'm not sure I'm a great average.

Status
Not open for further replies.