Embracing Niche Fiction Through Self-Publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lhowling

Mischief Witch
Registered
Reaction score
I've self-published twelve titles via KDP Amazon. I got all of my bad habits out, I think, and now I'm thinking about starting my own small publishing house (just me), with the release of full-length novels, novellas, and/or short story collections/anthologies.

My intent this time around for self-publishing is to establish a brand of niche fiction. I label my stories as being written "By witches, for witches," going beyond your typical spells and sorcery to focus on themes of mythology, the power of belief, and the desire to make one's life magical.

I'm working on my first novel now, currently doing a major overhaul of the story in its second rewrite. I would like to get this published come spring time, which should give me enough time to really build up my "platform" also (ugh, I hate talking like this!).

Anyway, I wanted to put the feelers out and see if anyone has used self-publishing in a similar fashion, focusing on a nice or specialty topic for your fiction books and create a steady base of return readers.

Can't wait to hear your experiences and ideas!

PS I know that nonfiction books can follow a similar formula. But, what about fiction writers?

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking about starting my own small publishing house (just me)

Please clarity what you mean by this.

And yes, many self-published authors work in niches. Small presses and self-publishing benefit greatly from specific niches like novellas, erotica, and other genres that the larger houses find hard to sell to the mainstream market.

Lhowling

Mischief Witch
Registered
Reaction score
I may be using the term loosely. But, I mean that instead of just releasing them via Kindle without having a publisher listed, that I create a small press through which I publish my own work. I thought about doing this if I wanted to write under different pseudonyms and play with the popularity of certain stories over others.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
I may be using the term loosely. But, I mean that instead of just releasing them via Kindle without having a publisher listed, that I create a small press through which I publish my own work. I thought about doing this if I wanted to write under different pseudonyms and play with the popularity of certain stories over others.

People do this, but once you open up your "publishing house" to other authors, then you raise all the red flags. As long as you're not trying to publish other people's work--because self-publishing through KDP is not real publishing experience--then you're fine in my book.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
Other than filling in the "publisher" blank on Amazon, what do you anticipate doing to create this small press? Separate legal entity? Webpage?

I mean, all my self-pub books have "Red Wombat Tea Company" listed as the publisher, because that's the faux company name I've been making fake advertising posters for for a decade, but it's not a small press, just a small amusement.

Lhowling

Mischief Witch
Registered
Reaction score
@osulaugh: Nah, I have no interest in publishing other people's stories. Too much work!

@RedWombat: Meh, it was just to put as a publisher name in Amazon. That way I can play with different pseudonyms and writing in different styles all under one "faux" publishing company. The brand of fiction is what I'm detailing as niche because the stories are written by witches (whether in 1st person or 3rd person narratives).

Status
Not open for further replies.