Re-Query to Same Agency: Etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cochinay

Registered
Reaction score
If the submission guidelines are silent on the subject, but one agent rejects a submission (merely a query letter), should we assume all agents at the agency have rejected the query as well?

For agencies with 7 or more agents, it just doesn't feel right to assume, automatically, that all have rejected the submission. Just off the cuff, I'd think trying one of the other agents after 60 days would be fine, even if refinements to the letter are minor.

I've in some cases seen another agent's description of interests, and feel I may have selected the wrong agent at the agency. Thanks

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
If the submission guidelines are silent on the subject, but one agent rejects a submission (merely a query letter), should we assume all agents at the agency have rejected the query as well?

No. The submission guide will clarify if a rejection from one is a rejection from all and also their policy on submitting to multiple agents within the agency. If they don't speak to it, then go ahead and query.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I've had some instances where the guidelines don't state that they share queries, so I've queried one after another. Sometimes the third or fourth agent will say in their rejection that the agency is done with that query (usually very politely worded, but unmistakable).

I don't think it bothers them, unless the guidelines say specifically. Many agencies have little or no contact between lower-level agents, so they'll never even know you'd queried someone else at that agency before.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the agency. Rejection do not always say. My experience is they don't say more often than they do. One thing you do need to know is which agent handles what at an agency. Many agencies have one agent who handles one type of fiction, another who handles a different type, and so on. At these agencies, one crack is all you get.

I will say that a manuscript is usually shown to each agent who handles that type of fiction, if it's any good at all. If it's bad, there's no point in showing it around.

Status
Not open for further replies.