Just Came Back from Heaven

AndreF

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Its been some years since I've seen the surface of a good pool table and held a good cue. A fifteen year dry spell from a game I love and I was roaming my area to find a decent place to play pool. Sure the bowling alley had some coin operated tables, with billiards of different sizes, and plastic cues that were warped and crooked. I played a few games on those but darn it wasn't scratching that itch. For a several months I was investigating rumors of a pool hall that was in a nearby town. Some heard of it. Most haven't. Checked phone books, talked to people from the area, nothing.

A person I went to church with gave me some directions to his house in a nearby town I'm not too familiar with. He gave me some directions and his card with his number on it in case I got lost.

It's been fifteen years since I've seen a good table. The two pool halls in my town closed years and years ago. I was willing to drive out to some remote place to play a game. I drove down a stretch of highway that cut through a small town.

I kept my eyes open for the landmarks and other visual cues mentioned in the directions. Finally I arrived at a place that matched the description he gave me.

Signs told folks the property was private and not to enter. A trailer park was behind me and to my left a mini storage place. And it was real quiet. The gravel of the long driveway crunched beneath my feet as the cool winter wind ushered me to move toward a shed next to a rock house with no lights on. The only light provided was from the shed's two exposed light bulbs that illuminated the doorway and its steps.

My heart raced as doubt filled my mind. Was I in the right place? I'm a trespassing? Why didn't I call to verify? I could hear thumping the closer I got to the door. I took some breaths to calm my nerves. But I could still hear the thumping. My ice cold knuckles made contact with a plywood door and I could barely hear those hollow knocks.

The door opened and a familiar face greeted me. Bright lights from the inside filled my spirits and the sound of Tesla rocking out filled my ears.

And there they were. Two beautiful pool tables. One was a professional size table brown wood, drop pockets, green felt. The other black wood, return pockets, deep blue felt. The white painted walls were covered with old license plates, Budweiser signs, pool related art, trophies and a large selection of pool cues.

"take your pick" my friend said.

His words rattled around in my head as my eyes scanned rows of cues. They settled on a Black Cue (20oz.) I wasn't as rusty as I thought was. Won a couple of games got tore up (I'm not going to lie) the other games. Pulled off some crazy shots (okay so I dogged a few).

Couldn't tell you how many hours I spent in there. Listening to Poison, Bon Jovi, Foreigner, Aerosmith, etc. There was a handful of other fellas in there two now so I wasn't the only getting my butt handed to me.

Anyway ... how did your Turkey Day go?

Last edited: