PDA

View Full Version : RIP P.D. James

cmhbob
11-27-2014, 09:25 PM
Somewhat surprised no one has posted about this yet (although I might have missed it).

She was 94.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/pd-james-who-brought-a-gritty-realism-to-the-british-detective-novel-dies-at-94/2014/11/27/eb4a30b6-7645-11e4-a755-e32227229e7b_story.html

Old Hack
11-27-2014, 09:33 PM
I was so sorry to hear of her passing.

Years ago I worked for a book packager, and the production manager there used to always look forward to visiting his wife's Auntie Phyllis. He said she was great fun, and always had a good story to tell. It took him years to work out that Auntie Phyllis was the great P D James.

lizmonster
11-27-2014, 09:34 PM
I caught this news this morning. Sad - but at the same time, what a career she had. Her writing was always intelligent, her stories filled with both brutality and empathy. I used to be half-afraid turning the pages of one of her books, because I never knew when she was going to knock off someone I liked.

Jamesaritchie
11-27-2014, 09:36 PM
I hadn't heard of her death until now. I always enjoyed her novels, though I admit to liking Christie more. But James was a very good writer, and I've been reading her almost since she started writing. She was always one of my top four living British crime writers.

Bufty
11-27-2014, 09:37 PM
I heard the news late afternoon. She made a great contribution. R.I.P. PD.

Alessandra Kelley
11-27-2014, 10:28 PM
She was an extraordinarily gripping writer.

Flicka
11-27-2014, 11:02 PM
P.D. James has had a major impact on me and my writing - I remember hearing an interview with her where she talked about how she wrote her first novel by getting up two hours early and writing before work. It was the moment I realised it was doable for anyone if you just had enough self-discipline, and the moment I decided to be a writer for real.

I heard her speak on writing once IRL and it was absolutely brilliant. She was such a charming and witty lady. And afterwards when she signed a book for me, she was very gracious and funny and I had one of those complete fangirl moment when I just went "OMG!" and gaped like a fish.

Sad, obviously, but she was 94 so it wasn't entirely unexpected.

blacbird
11-29-2014, 10:16 AM
Crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrap.

Just last night I started reading Devices and Desires. I haven't read any P.D. James in some years, and now look forward even more to reading her stuff.

caw

Ken
11-29-2014, 03:52 PM
Great crime writer. Godspeed.

Siri Kirpal
11-29-2014, 11:57 PM
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a "Sikh greeting)

Just saw this. Sad, but not a tragedy, given her age.

She was (still is) my favorite crime writer. She may have brought grittiness, but she also brought depth. Thanks, Phyllis.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Perks
11-30-2014, 06:08 AM
Oh crap. Really? RIP.

Fuchsia Groan
12-01-2014, 08:16 AM
It was sad to have to tell my sister the news, because she is full-on obsessed with James and has been reading her almost continuously for a year or two. She got my mom addicted, too.

I'm not normally a mystery reader, but they convinced me to read Innocent Blood this summer, and wow. What an amazing dark character study. It wasn't a whodunit and didn't need to be, yet it filled me with increasing dread and desire to stop the inevitable denouement from arriving. That's good writing.