Not open for further replies.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I was so sorry to hear of her passing.

Years ago I worked for a book packager, and the production manager there used to always look forward to visiting his wife's Auntie Phyllis. He said she was great fun, and always had a good story to tell. It took him years to work out that Auntie Phyllis was the great P D James.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I caught this news this morning. Sad - but at the same time, what a career she had. Her writing was always intelligent, her stories filled with both brutality and empathy. I used to be half-afraid turning the pages of one of her books, because I never knew when she was going to knock off someone I liked.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I hadn't heard of her death until now. I always enjoyed her novels, though I admit to liking Christie more. But James was a very good writer, and I've been reading her almost since she started writing. She was always one of my top four living British crime writers.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I heard the news late afternoon. She made a great contribution. R.I.P. PD.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
P.D. James has had a major impact on me and my writing - I remember hearing an interview with her where she talked about how she wrote her first novel by getting up two hours early and writing before work. It was the moment I realised it was doable for anyone if you just had enough self-discipline, and the moment I decided to be a writer for real.

I heard her speak on writing once IRL and it was absolutely brilliant. She was such a charming and witty lady. And afterwards when she signed a book for me, she was very gracious and funny and I had one of those complete fangirl moment when I just went "OMG!" and gaped like a fish.

Sad, obviously, but she was 94 so it wasn't entirely unexpected.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrap.

Just last night I started reading Devices and Desires. I haven't read any P.D. James in some years, and now look forward even more to reading her stuff.

caw

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a "Sikh greeting)

Just saw this. Sad, but not a tragedy, given her age.

She was (still is) my favorite crime writer. She may have brought grittiness, but she also brought depth. Thanks, Phyllis.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
It was sad to have to tell my sister the news, because she is full-on obsessed with James and has been reading her almost continuously for a year or two. She got my mom addicted, too.

I'm not normally a mystery reader, but they convinced me to read Innocent Blood this summer, and wow. What an amazing dark character study. It wasn't a whodunit and didn't need to be, yet it filled me with increasing dread and desire to stop the inevitable denouement from arriving. That's good writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.