Juvenile Court and Detention

startraveller

Registered
Reaction score
So, I've done a little digging and can't really find exactly what I need regarding juvenile detention centers and juvenile court. (I see there is one other thread similar to this one.) Having never experienced either myself, I have to rely heavily on the experiences and knowledge of others.

My character is a 17 year old girl who's been placed in a detention center for assaulting a classmate. What I'm wondering is the process in which she gets to such a place. Like, is she taken straight there after being arrested for her offence or would she be sent to court first? What is the general rundown of booking process for young offenders, and typically how prison-like are facilities for minors (furnishings, clothing, monitoring, food, etc.)? And, if she is in a co-ed facility, is there any interaction between boys and girls outside the classroom? What kind of behavior would justify solitary confinement?

I know there are a lot of variances between cities, states, and countries, but any input is greatly appreciated. General knowledge of the court system is a great help too. If it helps, the setting is Texas, probably Dallas area.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Send a PM to MarkEsq

He's a prosecutor in Texas and has worked juvenile law there. There's a lot of differences between states, so he's your best source. I can give you the general answer, but he can give you the actual answer.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Happy to answer those questions but there's one problem right off the bat. If she's 17, she's an adult in Texas so won't be in the juvie system. If that's fixable, let me know and I'll answer as best I can.

cerissa

Registered
Reaction score
well, I don't know about texas, but I do know about florida, if markesq says she is an adult, then she will be booked into the county, she will be fingerprinted, photographed, given a medical examine, and during that examine they will usually ask mental health questions, then they will either let her call someone to bond her out, or put her in cell to wait a bit, depending on how busy they are. if she cant get bonded out, they will give her a shower, with stuff to kill lice, all inmates have to use it, then given a jail uniform, and a bedroll, again depending on how busy they are she will either wait in the holding cell, or some places have a open sitting area. then be brought back to housing block. depending on the type of crime is where she will go. in florida you will see the judge the next morning. there is no interaction with boys, unless they pass each other in halls.
to be placed in solitary confinement, she would get in a fight, be caught with contraband, once she is booked into the jail, like a knife or drugs, if she has drugs upon entering before walking back to housing area, she will just be given another charge. She could also not listen to the officers and cause trouble that way.