PDA

View Full Version : Mixing worlds

francist44
11-26-2014, 05:52 AM
I've paid much attention with respect to keeping my readers in my time and world. Major creatures, such as my terrofins are shark-like, thought never refer to as as such.

In my next volume #3, I'd like to employ bees or moreover honey for its healing properties. What are your thoughts, should I come up with another healing substance, whereas it maybe too much of jolt back to here and now?

Brightdreamer
11-26-2014, 06:13 AM
Is there a reason there can't be beelike creatures who produce a substance known as honey?

Don't go out of your way to create smeerps. Your readers know by now that this isn't Earth, yet they're reading it in English; this falls under the translation convention, that you use an equivalent familiar species unless there's a good reason not to. Unless you've said that your world has no insects, or that these insects do not produce a honeylike excretion, I don't see why you couldn't introduce a healing substance called "honey." Your world's bees may be blue and have six wings, but if they're essentially a bee, and what they produce is more or less honey...

If you decide against insect colonies as a honey source, you might want to consider using a nectar for a honey substitute; just introduce a flower or plant (or maybe a fungus) that secretes a sugary syrup with the healing properties you want.

rwm4768
11-26-2014, 06:18 AM
My thoughts:

If your terrofin is a shark call it a shark. If your bee-like insect is a bee, call it a bee. Save the fancy fantasy names for creatures you've invented. In a fantasy world, you're already dealing with exotic names for people, places, factions, and all that, so why add to what the reader has to keep straight if you don't have to?

S. Eli
11-26-2014, 06:37 AM
It should be fine top just say bees/honey--preferred, even. Eventually all the new names will get exhausting, so it's better to just call them what they are.

francist44
11-26-2014, 09:46 AM
My thoughts:

If your terrofin is a shark call it a shark. If your bee-like insect is a bee, call it a bee. Save the fancy fantasy names for creatures you've invented. In a fantasy world, you're already dealing with exotic names for people, places, factions, and all that, so why add to what the reader has to keep straight if you don't have to?

Your point taken, however, even with all the extra work required to describe with action, I'd rather do that than say it's shark-like. Partial Example: Talron grimaces as the distinctive dual fins of a large terrorfin pursues the man.

As for the honey, I think I will go with -as suggested- something like nectar.

Thanks to all.

John Ayliff
11-26-2014, 10:23 PM
I think "Don't call a rabbit a smeerp" is one of those rules that can be over-applied. A world inhabited by terrorfins that behave basically like sharks but aren't sharks feels different from a world that just has sharks. Choose according to how you want the world to feel, and be consistent with that.

Right now I'm reading Against A Dark Background by Iain M. Banks, which involves many fantastically-named animals used to great effect - many of them could be functionally replaced by real-world animals, but the world wouldn't feel the same.

Tanydwr
11-27-2014, 09:37 PM
Another option might be to look at actual translations if you've a tendency to use certain languages for things in your novels (like me!), or even look at the etymology of a word. The important thing is what feels right.

On a semi-related note, few people would actually use honey to dress a wound now, so it wouldn't throw me. What threw me, in writing my own story, was that I forgot about it as a possibility. What happened? Well, my character - from our world, portal-fantasy'd into another - cursed herself for forgetting honey as a antiseptic for dressing an arrow wound...

francist44
11-28-2014, 11:32 PM
I think "Don't call a rabbit a smeerp" is one of those rules that can be over-applied. A world inhabited by terrorfins that behave basically like sharks but aren't sharks feels different from a world that just has sharks. Choose according to how you want the world to feel, and be consistent with that.

Right now I'm reading Against A Dark Background by Iain M. Banks, which involves many fantastically-named animals used to great effect - many of them could be functionally replaced by real-world animals, but the world wouldn't feel the same.
Indeed, and my terrorfins differ from sharks with dual fins gutting teeth-filled jaws and other features. They're also tenacious and smart.

As for resoling my honey issue, it's out. I'm going to go with something like below worded better:
Tarmo holds his bandanna over Frencore's knife wound; turns round and growls, "Oi, Coop, stop staring and find a backin tree - backin trees were introduced earlier chapter- and get some sap for his wound."
Thanks again

rwm4768
11-29-2014, 12:14 AM
Indeed, and my terrorfins differ from sharks with dual fins gutting teeth-filled jaws and other features. They're also tenacious and smart.

As for resoling my honey issue, it's out. I'm going to go with something like below worded better:
Tarmo holds his bandanna over Frencore's knife wound; turns round and growls, "Oi, Coop, stop staring and find a backin tree - backin trees were introduced earlier chapter- and get some sap for his wound."
Thanks again

I think that would work. Looks like a way of getting in that bit of information without an infodump (as long as it's natural for Coop to forget about the backin sap).