Jurassic World

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised the trailer hasn't posted here yet. Hold on to your butts.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I really and truly hope the poster tagline is: What could possibly go wrong?

:D

More like: Not again!

(Reminds me of the Mummy franchise's 1st sequel: An ancient evil has been released by the two people on earth who really should have known better! :D )

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
More like: Not again!

I really want a Sam Neil cameo for this reason.

Actually, I'm surprised Dr. Wu wasn't in this first trailer. Even a non-speaking glimpse would have done a lot to flame the fan fires.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I like that Spielberg is on board, I like that they're incorporating animatronics with CGI and I like that they're back to the original island (in the story and filming locations).

But it just looks so big, and I think that's where a lot of sequels are failing these days. An open park, a sprawling island, and a genetically modified dino hybrid where you'd think just a regular genetically modified dino would be scary enough. But I'll admit that the Seaworld-shark scene got me (and a nice Jaws throwback).

So we'll see where this goes.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
I'm torn. On the one hand it looks very expansive and exciting. On the other hand it looks like there will be child characters.

At least the score will be fantastic. Giacchino is an excellent composer to pick up the torch.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I really want a Sam Neil cameo for this reason.

Actually, I'm surprised Dr. Wu wasn't in this first trailer. Even a non-speaking glimpse would have done a lot to flame the fan fires.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I like that Spielberg is on board, I like that they're incorporating animatronics with CGI and I like that they're back to the original island (in the story and filming locations).

But it just looks so big, and I think that's where a lot of sequels are failing these days. An open park, a sprawling island, and a genetically modified dino hybrid where you'd think just a regular genetically modified dino would be scary enough. But I'll admit that the Seaworld-shark scene got me (and a nice Jaws throwback).

So we'll see where this goes.

I'm hoping that the big bits are in the beginning, when the kids first arrive, with a few vistas thrown in, like in the original movie. In film one, the scale helped illustrate the idea of how large the T-Rex was, and showed the dinos flocking, so it worked. Then things got closed in and tense for the scarier stuff.

The raptor-bike thing bugged me a bit. Those dinos were so dangerous in the first film; they seem a bit toothless here, running alongside Chris Pratt without taking bites out of him.

Meanwhile -- CHRIS PRATT! YAY!

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I got the impression that the raptors were with him, like hunting dogs. Which I admit is badass.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I got the impression that the raptors were with him, like hunting dogs. Which I admit is badass.

I think this is it, too. They haven't explained Pratt's role yet, and it seems like he might be a game warden like Muldoon (?) was in the first film, which could be why these guys look tame. And will make it all the better when Pratt inevitably calls this new dino a "clever girl."

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if the chase-and-chomp count will dwarf Aliens or the first Robocop. I can see the tagline being: "Feeding the animals is strictly not allowed."

And if Chris Pratt says "We're the wardens here, bitch," then I know that I've entered an alternate universe.:D

Pass.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I think this is it, too. They haven't explained Pratt's role yet, and it seems like he might be a game warden like Muldoon (?) was in the first film, which could be why these guys look tame. And will make it all the better when Pratt inevitably calls this new dino a "clever girl."

Actually, given the trouble from the first film, I'm wondering if the raptors are going to be "genetically modified," too. They'd be the one to use if you needed an animal to keep the others in line.

It could also be a nod to the baby raptor from the original JP novel. That little guy was running around in a diaper... until the big ones found him. :(

threetoedsloth

Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping that the big bits are in The raptor-bike thing bugged me a bit. Those dinos were so dangerous in the first film; they seem a bit toothless here, running alongside Chris Pratt without taking bites out of him.

I for one, am excited to see this on the big screen. It was my favorite scene the "Lost World" Book. It probably helped that the rest of it sucked.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
The raptor-bike thing bugged me a bit. Those dinos were so dangerous in the first film; they seem a bit toothless here, running alongside Chris Pratt without taking bites out of him.
I took that as a sign that something was chasing all of them that scared the raptors enough that they didn't dare to stop for a drive-by snack.

That said, I'm all for movies where the 'monsters' don't constantly nibble on humans without even being hungry, that has bugged me so often in the past.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
After what happened in the early films, working on raptor/human interaction is exactly the sort of behavioural work I could see them doing. I doubt they're going to show the raptors as entirely safe. There's a big difference between accepting their handler as part of the pack and being fine around all humans. Zoo keepers often interact with their big cats, so that they're used to human contact. But that doesn't mean it'd be safe to let the cats roam in the crowds. And sometimes they do turn on their keepers.

(Also noteworthy that the first film raptors were atypical. One unusually aggressive individual killed most of the pack, which doesn't look to be typical based on the large wild packs. If you were putting together a hunting pack, you'd go for the team players.)

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
My feeling about this movie is that aside from the first one the rest have been deeply flawed. Fun, at times quite clever ("clever girl"), but not exactly anything coming close to the brilliance of the first.

Which is why my expectations for this film are not "This has to be the best to live up to the others!" but rather . . .

"DINOSAURS!!!!"

Honestly, I just don't care about the plot, the writing, the acting. I mean it would be amazing if this turned out to be an utterly brilliant action movie. But really, all I need are dinosaurs. Lots and lots of dinosaurs. So, basically, I'm already giving this one 5 stars :) .

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
My feeling about this movie is that aside from the first one the rest have been deeply flawed. Fun, at times quite clever ("clever girl"), but not exactly anything coming close to the brilliance of the first.
("Clever girl" was in the first one.) I can still work up a good rant about all the stupidities in the second one.

But yeah, dinosaurs will be a big factor in the success of the fourth one. And don't they already look awesome in the trailer.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Yes. I know. I know the first one off by heart (I even went to see the 3D re-release in the movie theatres last year). I feel though if you say the word clever in reference to these films you have to make that quote. I think it's a law or something. :)

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
*girlish squeal!!* I'm one of those rare-but-not-extinct creatures who fangirled equally over all 3 movies, so THIS IS GOING TO BE EPIC. :D

But... why are humans always so stupid? Why make the lethal dinosaurs when people would go just as nuts over a park full of veggie-sauruses? *shakes head*

HoldinHolden

Blogger, author, poop joke maker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
Everything I've read says a Sam Neill cameo is absolutely not happening and he hasn't even been asked. Of course, that doesn't mean it won't happen, but booooo.
Regardless, I'm still insanely excited for this movie!

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Me and my family (especially my husband) are all very excited to see this. I'm with Faye here (also a lover of all 3) this is definitely going to be awesome (whatever they do with it.)

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
But... why are humans always so stupid? Why make the lethal dinosaurs when people would go just as nuts over a park full of veggie-sauruses? *shakes head*

POSSIBLE SPOILER:

Rumor has it that the park has been open for awhile and new dino is a new attraction to keep people interested. But I agree with you! Seems like Pratt's character is also likely to be the ethical compass like Malcolm was.