PDA

View Full Version : Need Beta Reader for YA/MG novel

Shrykespeare
11-24-2014, 04:51 AM
Hello.

I am finishing up my novel, a YA/MG drama entitled "Joshua's Island".

I have submitted this novel to a professional reviewer/proofreader, and have made many corrections based on her feedback. However, she has also suggested several plot developments that I would like to get more feedback on before I change them. I will be submitting it for self-publishing probably in about two weeks, so the sooner I can get feedback on it, the better.

The plot:

The story is told, in the first person, from the alternating perspectives of two 13-year-olds. One is a boy named Joshua, an outcast who has been bullied for years. He has no friends left, and spends most of his time reading. The other is Eve, a pretty girl who was just recruited into the "popular" clique by Rhonda, the most popular girl in school.

The two are paired together as lab partners in Science class. At first, Eve wants nothing to do with Joshua, but as she is no good in the subject and he is, she is forced to ask for his help. As she gets to know him, she realizes he is not at all like she's heard. Then, when he gets beaten in front of her, she discovers that the male bullies who torment Joshua are led by none other than Rhonda herself. Eve is forced to choose sides, chooses Joshua's, and is made an outcast by Rhonda.

With no one left to turn to but each other, the two become best friends and eventually fall in love. Their relationship ends up changing not only their lives but the lives of everyone around them.

The story is about 60,000 words.

I can take criticism (not TOO harsh - this is my first novel ever) and am open to suggestions as to how to make the story better.

If you are interested, please let me know on this thread and by PM-img me your e-mail address.

Thanks!

playground
11-24-2014, 05:46 AM
I'm interested. Link to mine for you to look at and see what I'm looking for. Let me know if you're interested in a swap!

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293391

Bufkus
11-24-2014, 07:25 AM
I'd love to beta read as well, your premise sounds fantastic. Will PM in a bit.

Lena Hillbrand
11-24-2014, 08:42 PM
I'd be interested if you're open to a swap.

PM me if you are. I write the same type of YA as you do.