Mockingjay: pt. 1

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Meh.

The whole thing could have been condensed into a 20 minute lead in for a movie that covered the entire book.

Also, it's a beautiful illustration of show vs. tell. We're told of skirmishes and rebellions, and shown none of it save for a couple of clips that make up maybe ten minutes total. Gale goes into detail about the evacuation of District 12, one that would have been perfect for a voice over / flashback of the event, but nope. All we get is his voice. Yet, they found time for Katniss to sneak back into her Victor Villa and raid the cupboards. Twice.

It broke pretty much on the scene I expected, though they added a few more minutes than I would have thought. I would have broken it in the moment that Peeta was struck and knocked out, for a true cliffhanger, rather than showing Katniss wake up and see him in his bed.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like the book TBH. I remember spending a lot of time with Katniss curled into a ball whilst all the action was going on offpage. Very meh.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed it, too. It just seemed a bit bloated.

I think my favorite part was Effie, which was a definite departure from the books (she's only mentioned in a couple of lines). But I was disappointed that Johanna's part was cut to a single, non-speaking appearance at the end.

Josh Hutcherson's face deserves an award.

Thewitt

Registered
Reaction score
I always find critique of books and movies that make a ton of money have have millions of dedicated fans to be interesting.

Most reviews seem to be negative, yet this sure does not show up in the box office or in book sales.

I always find this curious.

The "telling" vs "showing" in the Hunger Games series did not seem to restrict it's explosive popularity. Perhaps this practice is not such a cardinal sin after all outside of writers forums.

I loved the movie.

I loved the books.

Could they have been done differently? Sure.

I would love to have a literary and movie failure like that...

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed it, too. It just seemed a bit bloated.

I think my favorite part was Effie, which was a definite departure from the books (she's only mentioned in a couple of lines). But I was disappointed that Johanna's part was cut to a single, non-speaking appearance at the end.

Josh Hutcherson's face deserves an award.

No arguments there. I found the pacing to be a bit slower. And omg, Effie! So much love for her.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I always find critique of books and movies that make a ton of money have have millions of dedicated fans to be interesting.

Most reviews seem to be negative, yet this sure does not show up in the box office or in book sales.

I always find this curious.

The "telling" vs "showing" in the Hunger Games series did not seem to restrict it's explosive popularity. Perhaps this practice is not such a cardinal sin after all outside of writers forums.

I loved the movie.

I loved the books.

Could they have been done differently? Sure.

I would love to have a literary and movie failure like that...

And your point is?

You're on a writers board. What else do you expect?

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't see the original post as rude. I think I missed something?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe. And maybe I read too much.

Just find it amusing when a writer roll his eyes at what writers do on a writer's board.

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
I loved it. I understand the critiques, but I'm happy with how the movie turned out. I thought they did a good job juxtaposing Katniss' internal struggle with the larger political situation.

*listening to 'The Hanging Tree' on repeat*

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I thought it was an improvement over the book, where, as noted, Katniss spent a good deal of time in a PTSD bubble. Now, it was a perfectly understandable and well-earned PTSD bubble, but for a book written from her 1st person perspective, it meant that a lot of things had to happen off screen.

I still thought the movie was sort of slow, but worth it.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe. And maybe I read too much.

Just find it amusing when a writer roll his eyes at what writers do on a writer's board.

Well, yeah, we do interpret and analyze a lot here. But that's the fun of it! We're writers. We're kind of built that way. I love reading critique about books and movies--even if I don't agree with them.

I did enjoy this movie, though. It wasn't as solid for me as the other two, but from what I have read here and on other forums and social media--the third book was the weakest anyway.

Oh, and that hanging tree scene where Katniss was singing was harrowing.

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score

I haven't seen anyone claims there's no tolerance for telling. Or, really, for any "rule" of writing.

If a writer thinks he or she has the chops to go against the grain, then go against the grain.

My experience, writers are more often proven wrong than right in these regards. But exceptions *do* happen.

I may be reading too much into the above, but it feels like an attempt to justify something. I don't think it needs justifying.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
It certainly was. I really enjoyed the first one, for all its faults. But by the 3rd one.... meh.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone who has read the books . . . do you think the book needed to be split in two?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I thought it was an improvement over the book, where, as noted, Katniss spent a good deal of time in a PTSD bubble. Now, it was a perfectly understandable and well-earned PTSD bubble, but for a book written from her 1st person perspective, it meant that a lot of things had to happen off screen.

That was my problem with it. Yes, it made sense that she would have PTSD. But it was damn boring to read about.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone who has read the books . . . do you think the book needed to be split in two?

No.

I get that they want to make the battles in the final movie epic, but they could have done that without creating an artificial division in the story. It's only like 100K long. They could have made a 3hr movie and people would have still gone to see it in droves, and I think the story would have benefited from being kept together.

Something that bugged me with the story as it was shown (and I can't remember if this was in the novel or not) is that the break highlights one of the dumbest moves the District 13'ers made:

Why, knowing that President Snow was actively taunting them - Katniss especially, and why knowing that Snow's people were looking for the 13 base, which they couldn't find, would Gale's team have returned straight to 13 after the raid? I mean Gale flat says the guns were online and that the Capitol let them go. The reason becomes obvious within minutes, but at least one of the guys on the raid should have thought that maybe they were being tracked by the evil dude who's poisoned his way to the top?

It's nothing to do with the quality of the movie, but if they'd not broken the film in half, then it wouldn't be so present a thing, because it comes right before "the moment" at the end, making it more noticeable.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score

Nope. It was a good story, but not a particularly long one. The first two books made solid films at a 1:1 ratio and the third could easily have done the same.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score

I don't know if it needed it. I would have had to seen it done as only one to tell you whether or not I wished it had been done in two or was good as is. What I can say is that I just saw it this morning and I LOVED every minute of it. Every. Minute. The only thing I hate about it being split in two is that I have to wait. The thing that's most surprising for me is how much I loved it considering I pretty much HATED the third book and had to push myself through it. I devoured the first two, but the third...

I LOVED that they spent the majority of this film exploring the aftermath of what happened to the districts and the emotional instability of Katniss's (haha, the computer tried to auto correct me to Catnip LOL) PTSD. My husband who has not read any of the books and has seen all the movies and loved them REALLY enjoyed this one as well and we both look forward to the final film (funny enough it was the second half of the book that I didn't love in Mockingjay, but I have a feeling I will really like the book to film translation as I have so far this movie).

I agree that Effie was MAGNIFICENT in this movie. And I think Jennifer Lawrence is so unbelievably talented. And my heart did a little beat skip at the end when they put the In Loving Memory message at the end. :(

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score

I still thought the movie was sort of slow, but worth it.
These are all my thoughts. I never felt the need to reread Mockingjay but I thought the movie was an excellent adaptation of the book (CF was too), skipping all of the things I dislike about the book. The little hints of PTSD are just the right amount, and the storyline is improved by showing things Katniss can't see

It broke pretty much on the scene I expected, though they added a few more minutes than I would have thought. I would have broken it in the moment...
Yes, that's what I expected as well.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I just learned that Doyle from the Gillmore Girls (Paris's journalism boyfriend in college) wrote the script for this. WUUT? Weird Hollywood things touching other Hollywood things!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, or Jonathan from Buffy, which was the trivia I explained to my dad ;)