Oops! I only ever saw it written down...

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
What is your most cringeworthy mispronunciation of a word that you've only ever seen written down? We've all done it at least once, especially as kids. I though it might make for a fun thread, so I'll start with some of mine.

Photographer
Pronounced with the empasis on the first syllable.
PHOtograph - er.

Automaton
Auto (like a car) MAY tawn.

The next one is courtesy of my brother when we were kids.

Baseline
BA suh line
Rhymes with Vaseline.

And this one is from my mother's childhood.

Episcopal
Epi (like in epidural) SCOPE ul.

Your turn.

Last edited:

TessB

The Boxing Baroness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tessbowery.com
Scion

SKY-on.

We'll not talk about how old I was when I figured that one out. It was about the same time as I realized that Bethany in Dogma was not "The Last Zion." [sigh]

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This moment belongs to my son, aged 30 months, strapped in his baby-seat, educating his 10 week-old-baby sister who was in the capsule beside him. (She had a lot to unlearn by the time she started school). We were stopped at the lights on the highway, just by the big old church at the crossroads.

D: (regards the ivied walls, the sharp roof, the larger than life-sized crucifix by the broken gate.) You see? That's a turch, babysister. You can tell, because of the T out the front.

(makes a lower-case T with his fat little index fingers, just like the crucifix).

D: You see? T for Turch.

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
This is a name, but...In grade 4 I was doing a book report which involved some kind of oral component. (I think it was this book.) MC's name was Penelope, and the night before, I was practising for my parents, and they informed me it was not pronounced the way I thought it was. I thought my pronunciation sounded better and made a lot more sense. (Shouldn't it be pronounced similar to antelope?)

Also: chaos. Which, until I was 12 or so, I thought was a synonym for 'kay-os' a word, I had never actually seen in print but had heard many times.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
So many.

enveloped (like the stationery with a d on the end)
ethereal (ee-ther-REEL, 3 syllables, ether like ethernet, real like the word real)
inevitable (in-ee-VIT-a-ble)
extraordinary (Extra Ordinary -- like extraterrestrial. I knew the word extraordinary but I totally thought they were different words)

heehee most of these I only figured out in high school...ethereal was particularly embarrassing because I used it in a haiku but assumed the wrong number of syllables in the word.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
This is a name, but...

Names count!

Heck, look at how many Harry Potter fans mispronounced "Hermione." (I may or may not have been one of them...) Rowling had to work the correct pronunciation into the books!

In college I studied "Beowulf" as translated by Seamus Heaney. I was discussing the work with some classmates and mispronounced Heaney's first name as:
SEA uh mus.

Lol, they never let me live that one down.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Penelope, Sean, Seamus, Sinead, Keanu...

We watch Jeopardy! most evenings, and it's heartening to see how many really bright people have plenty of words they can read, understand, and recall in an instant--but cannot pronounce. At our house, we call those "reading words, not talking words."

Maryn, who's got more, which she will remember eventually

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Gaelic names are tricky for English speakers. Took me a while for figure out how to pronounce Siobhan.

To my shame, I always have to correct my pronunciation of omnipotent. I know how it should be pronounced, I just always want to say "omni-potent"

Kid logic is impeccable.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
ethereal (ee-ther-REEL, 3 syllables, ether like ethernet, real like the word real)

Me too. Well, I never actually mispronounced that one, but I heard it in a movie and realized I'd been pronouncing it wrong in my mind...

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So many. Mostly, it's Latin words that trip me up and embarrass the hell out of me. What my friends and I like to do (among other unmentionable things) is to mispronounce a commonly known word on purpose.

For example: Pedestrian = Peda-STREE-in. Potatoes = POE-te-toes.

Don't even get me started on filling in the vowels of license plates. :D

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Potatoes = POE-te-toes.

That sounds very similar to how I pronounce them - Poe tay toes (Sam Gamgee agrees) and everyone I know does

How do you pronounce it then?

Or is your te more a teh? Or tea or ...??

I'm confused now (on person's te is another ones teh. Perhaps)

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Also: chaos. Which, until I was 12 or so, I thought was a synonym for 'kay-os' a word, I had never actually seen in print but had heard many times.

Ha! I had a similar problem with "solder." I thought it was a synonym for "sauter," the word I heard people say. Nope, just one word there.

And I was sooo disappointed when I learned how the name "Chloe" is pronounced. In my head, I worked it out as "Ch-low-ay," which sounded foreign, mysterious, and beautiful. Then I found out it was actually "Klo-ee" and something within me died a little.

I learned "Hermione" at a young age, though--Merv Griffin used to have Hermione Gingold on as a guest regularly.

Darron

Always trust a geologist
Registered
Reaction score
Mine in school was:
epitome...epi-tome

On a related note, I also thought left and right were subject for longer than I like to admit. I always heard, "You write with your right hand." and so there was one time my dad let me give directions to a friend's house and I said, It's the house on my right, your left."
The look of disappointment that I said something so stupid corrected me from that day on.

Ladyxkaa

Consigliere to Don Fluffles
Registered
Reaction score
Website
z4.invisionfree.com
I WAS kind of lucky, when I was being taught my words. mom made sure I knew the proper pronunciation for almost every word I learned. another word I used to have trouble with was sword xD

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I learned to read with the phonics method. The one word that annoyed me immensely as a child was signal. If sign was sine, why was signal sig nal? I learned early on to just use traffic light or turn blinker. :D

My Brooklyn born and raised MIL has several mispronunciations that have persisted for 80+ years. I used to correct her, now I just mentally put my fingers in my ears and chant 'la la la, I can't hear you'.

MM

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
This happens to me so frequently that I have known people to call it pulling a Nora...

Let's see, some of the ones that come to mind:

*Tortilla, pronouncing the L's (and I actually knew what a tortilla was an how to pronounce it, just didn't realize it was the same word), circa 6th grade
*Facet, um, yeah still get this wrong half the time
*Colonel, pronouncing it similar to colonial (again, knew the word but didn't connect it to its written form)
*Facade, yup that's not a hard c
*Gist, yup that's not a hard g
*Macabre, used to say it similar to "mackaber", this was probably 1-2 years ago I learned I was wrong

Okay I could make a super long list! I was always a reader and I learned most of my vocabulary from books, so pronunciation has never been a strong suit for me. :)

AndreF

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
L-A

Apparently it wasn't la-aaa

But Ladasha ... who knew the dash wouldn't be silent in this one?

Wurstishierererer Sauce yep get that one wrong all the time too.
(Worcestershire)

Zealot.

Z - Lot. instead of Zellot.

I'm sure I have more but usually its the other way around. I hear a word and know what it is but have no idea what it looks like spelled out.

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
This is the greatest thing I've ever seen. I'm coming to live with you. Get the guest room ready.
This moment belongs to my son, aged 30 months, strapped in his baby-seat, educating his 10 week-old-baby sister who was in the capsule beside him. (She had a lot to unlearn by the time she started school). We were stopped at the lights on the highway, just by the big old church at the crossroads.

D: (regards the ivied walls, the sharp roof, the larger than life-sized crucifix by the broken gate.) You see? That's a turch, babysister. You can tell, because of the T out the front.

(makes a lower-case T with his fat little index fingers, just like the crucifix).