Anti Discrimination laws

Tygar

Registered
Reaction score
Background:
The background of the story involves an 2nd Earth called Auth, which is another planet terraformed by aliens/Gods for Mankind. The planet is not only home to retransported humans but also creatures whom Kai will reveal as "Transhominids" or "Transhumans", creatures who appeared on Earth but are also preserved by the alien terraformers on Auth. So basically the fauna on Auth is somewhat close to what Earth looks like before humans were civilized; a small gap in time between the end of the last Ice Age and the Stone age. Dodos were around, The Thylacine is around and New Zealand's and Australia's megafauna are around.

20 years before the arrival of Kai, the autistic protagonist of this story, the world had been ravaged by disablity prejudice like Earth today and anti vaccine scares that lead to an epidemic of a formerly extinct killer disease, smallpox which still exists on Auth but extinct on Earth.

Authlings, the people of Auth, those born on Auth and transported to Auth from Earth via divine means, learnt their folly becos of an Autism Rebellion that led to the epidemic. They have deviced new anti discrimination laws and social responsilblity laws.as well as social safety nets to balance the need to reduce anti-social sentiments as well as freedom of expression.

Problem I have:
Authlings have erected anti discrimination laws and social resposiblity laws but I need to critique to see how to minimize their tendency to be abused.

The Social Inclusion Act was founded on Auth to reduce discrimination and ill-will and hostility between classes, different races, disablity, mental wellness in the population by

Laws that penalise promotion of ill will and anti-social sentiments between classes, different races, disablity, mental and physical wellness in the population.

1a. Anti Discrimination clause
The laws protect and compensate for discrimination in employment, access to social services.

1b. The Anti- Exclusion clause
Allows protection and compensation from social exclusion caused by community hatred leading to psychological, reputation damage and in cases, death. Protection and resolution will mean services rendered to ensure rehabilitation and penalization of the perpetrator.

1b1. Should the exclusion be due to prior actions done by the 'victim", services will be provided to ensure meted out justice or resolution. Both victim and aggressor will be penalized based on involvement ratios.

1xxxx. Should abuse arise from any of the above laws if sufficient evidence is found for deception of authorities. The Penalty for such deception is 10 years of imprisonment and monetary compensation.

indwig

I stole your cheeseburger
Registered
Reaction score
You do realize that no matter how well written a law is that it can still be abused, right?

In France, when a woman goes for a job interview, it's illegal for the employer to ask her if she plans on having kids, but most people don't know this.

And discrimination happens on all sorts of scales. It might range from cold and passive-aggressive behavior to blatant hatred. Obviously, the latter will be taken more seriously, but the former can be interpreted in different ways (i.e. "it's not discrimination, the person was just having a bad day") and be dismissed.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Problem I have:
Authlings have erected anti discrimination laws and social resposiblity laws but I need to critique to see how to minimize their tendency to be abused.

The Social Inclusion Act was founded on Auth to reduce discrimination and ill-will and hostility between classes, different races, disablity, mental wellness in the population by

Laws that penalise promotion of ill will and anti-social sentiments between classes, different races, disablity, mental and physical wellness in the population.

The laws protect and compensate for discrimination in employment, access to social services.

Allows protection and compensation from social exclusion caused by community hatred leading to psychological, reputation damage and in cases, death. Protection and resolution will mean services rendered to ensure rehabilitation and penalization of the perpetrator.

1b1. Should the exclusion be due to prior actions done by the 'victim", services will be provided to ensure meted out justice or resolution. Both victim and aggressor will be penalized based on involvement ratios.

1xxxx. Should abuse arise from any of the above laws if sufficient evidence is found for deception of authorities. The Penalty for such deception is 10 years of imprisonment and monetary compensation.

Have you ever read the First Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution? In effect it bans all discrimination and has since 1864, but you may have noticed that that had little effect on actual fact. Humans have the habit of considering everything in terms of us versus them (in-group versus out-group). If your transhumans will have that characteristic, then there will be discrimination of some sort.

Specifically, in your specifications, stating of describing any class or group of people ensures that there will be discrimination for or against that group.

The anti-exclusion thing simply wouldn't work with humans, but transhumans might be different. Humans would say, "They can't tell us," and discriminate more.

If you want your transhumans to be like humans, then yoour suggested laws would be appropriate. If you intend fior the trans humans to be different, then you could exclude the laws and have them just be egalitarian by nature.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Background:
The background of the story involves an 2nd Earth called Auth, which is another planet terraformed by aliens/Gods for Mankind. The planet is not only home to retransported humans but also creatures whom Kai will reveal as "Transhominids" or "Transhumans", creatures who appeared on Earth but are also preserved by the alien terraformers on Auth. So basically the fauna on Auth is somewhat close to what Earth looks like before humans were civilized; a small gap in time between the end of the last Ice Age and the Stone age. Dodos were around, The Thylacine is around and New Zealand's and Australia's megafauna are around.

20 years before the arrival of Kai, the autistic protagonist of this story, the world had been ravaged by disablity prejudice like Earth today and anti vaccine scares that lead to an epidemic of a formerly extinct killer disease, smallpox which still exists on Auth but extinct on Earth.

Authlings, the people of Auth, those born on Auth and transported to Auth from Earth via divine means, learnt their folly becos of an Autism Rebellion that led to the epidemic. They have deviced new anti discrimination laws and social responsilblity laws.as well as social safety nets to balance the need to reduce anti-social sentiments as well as freedom of expression.

Problem I have:

You want to criminalize ill will and social exclusion? I assume there's some new way of determining these things and a whole other planet to act as a prison?

Tygar

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments. Btw transhumans in my novel are more bestial and animalistic. But these laws are for human beings.

Pls note that Auth had a makeover becos of a massive epidemic outbreak that devastated the planet. The outbreak was in a way related to discrimination of Autistics people whose illness was falsely blamed on vaccinations. AT the same time, there was a "Rise of the Planet of the Autistics" type of rebellion that caused just as much damage as the outbreak.

Upon recovery, the people of Auth unlike Earth, decided to learn their lessons and embrace people of all thinking, Autistics, ADHD.etc. Instead of drugging them they decided to make more room for negotiation on the normal people. This explains why on Auth, we have technology that is somewhat in middle that of Mass Effect/Star Wars and our current technology. It's like we have Mars rovers here but they are building their prototype space colonies already.

The major belief in the people of Auth now is that social exclusion was one of the causes of social ills in society. Racism is a form of exclusion, ableism is also founded on exclusion.etc. The people knew that they need services/laws to reduce anti-social sentiments without compromising on free will. Even the govt takes priority in reduction of social ills as important as economic growth. That means better wealth distribution.

So that is why I am here to test these out. I wonder if laws are needed to ensure more peace even though the people of Auth have learnt their lessons from the past and I just need something to make sure the lesson is continued in the form of laws. I don't plan to go in a idea of authoritarian laws though.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments. Btw transhumans in my novel are more bestial and animalistic. But these laws are for human beings.

Pls note that Auth had a makeover becos of a massive epidemic outbreak that devastated the planet. The outbreak was in a way related to discrimination of Autistics people whose illness was falsely blamed on vaccinations. AT the same time, there was a "Rise of the Planet of the Autistics" type of rebellion that caused just as much damage as the outbreak.

Upon recovery, the people of Auth unlike Earth, decided to learn their lessons and embrace people of all thinking, Autistics, ADHD.etc. Instead of drugging them they decided to make more room for negotiation on the normal people. This explains why on Auth, we have technology that is somewhat in middle that of Mass Effect/Star Wars and our current technology. It's like we have Mars rovers here but they are building their prototype space colonies already.

The major belief in the people of Auth now is that social exclusion was one of the causes of social ills in society. Racism is a form of exclusion, ableism is also founded on exclusion.etc. The people knew that they need services/laws to reduce anti-social sentiments without compromising on free will. Even the govt takes priority in reduction of social ills as important as economic growth. That means better wealth distribution.

So that is why I am here to test these out. I wonder if laws are needed to ensure more peace even though the people of Auth have learnt their lessons from the past and I just need something to make sure the lesson is continued in the form of laws. I don't plan to go in a idea of authoritarian laws though.

Basing a society around serious thought crimes seems pretty authoritarian.

Tygar

Registered
Reaction score
How can we prevent anti social sentiments in the population from escalating in the first place?

Btw Auth legal system welcomes vigilantes as long as they dont kill people and peaceful protests if the legal system doesnt work. They welcome the system to be challenged if they go wrong. Authoritatative govts or semi authoritarian govts keep tabs and monitor stuff. Auth doesnt, does this mesns besides laws, they need services for the people to ensure discrimination issues are kept minimum and ensure that they dont escalate into something more serious?

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
How can we prevent anti social sentiments in the population from escalating in the first place?

Btw Auth legal system welcomes vigilantes as long as they dont kill people and peaceful protests if the legal system doesnt work. They welcome the system to be challenged if they go wrong. Authoritatative govts or semi authoritarian govts keep tabs and monitor stuff. Auth doesnt, does this mesns besides laws, they need services for the people to ensure discrimination issues are kept minimum and ensure that they dont escalate into something more serious?

Could you restate this? I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

From what I gather - the government allows vigilantes? The same government that outlaws ill will and hostility? How does that work?

Also, how does the government not keep tabs or monitor "stuff" and still have thought crimes?

I'm very confused by your setup, or by the way you're explaining it.

Tygar

Registered
Reaction score
Could you restate this? I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

From what I gather - the government allows vigilantes? The same government that outlaws ill will and hostility? How does that work?

Also, how does the government not keep tabs or monitor "stuff" and still have thought crimes?

I'm very confused by your setup, or by the way you're explaining it.

Ok I guess my request was too mired in cryptics.

I was looking for a new way to balance the need for control and freedom in a society that just learnt its biggest lesson in discriminating disablities and deviants.

This govt knows however that minimizing ill will and hostility is also beneficial to them. They just got an Autism/Aspergers rebellion decades ago, they don't want to make the same mistakes their predecessors made.

If making laws that minimize ill will and hostility is too heavy-handed like Panem, could services be less authoritative? Something has got to be present that can resolve this without resorting to the person or people having to cause social disorder?

In regards to keeping tabs and still allow room for thought. This govt doesn't need to tail you 24/7. They do it not proactively, UNLESS, you are the suspect of a crime which has a wider definition on Auth.