Living in Mexico

Reaction score
You can live well here on just social security. If you actually have a 401k and save your money, you can live extremely well. All you read about and hear on the news is the bad that happens in the northern states as the cartels have shooting contests over power and turf. Once you get well into the interior, things are a lot different.

It is a beautiful country and relatively crime free other than petty theft. The people here are extremely poor and theft does take place, you just have to use common sense. Playa Del Carmen or any other location along the coast is expensive, as it is all tourists, but English is common. Still, you can rent a nice place for around $400.00 a month and food is cheap. We sat down yesterday and ate shrimp tacos and had two beers. The cost was 170 pesos or $12.45.

Electricity is "structured" as it should be. In other words, if you go over the average use, you pay a higher amount. I am married to a Mexican so I am now acclimated and never use the AC. We will soon be moving to Cordoba in the mountains where it is very cool in the mornings and evenings and will never need AC. The water here is beautiful.

003_zpsb9a1d29a.jpg

The wildlife is different.

backyard1020_zps71fad8ae.jpg

coatimundi019_zps1a7ee198.jpg

newcam2004_zpsc6cdea59.jpg

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds fantastic - Enjoy! ;)

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful pictures!

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I know many people from Arizona that travel to Rocky Point (Puerto Peñasco), Mexico every summer. It's the closest beach to the Phoenix area. It's a 4 hours drive. California beaches are 5-6 hours with the possibility of heavy traffic making the drive much longer and more miserable.

I haven't gone because I'm not comfortable taking my kid with me, since the area directly next to the border is known for corruption and it's not unheard of for American tourist to be stopped by "police" and demanded to hand over cash or their vehicle. I haven't heard of any issues happening in Rocky Point. It's just getting to Rocky Point that people have problems.

That said, I went to Cabo San Lucas a few years ago it was absolutely gorgeous. I wish I could go back there now. California is such a dump in comparison. Have fun in Mexico! I wish I could be there with you. I love the pictures.

Reaction score
I've driven from Texas to deep in the Yucatan and back twice now and all over this country and never been hit up for a bribe. "Mordida" does take place as police only make around $300.00 per month here so money, a $20.00 will get you out of damn near anything. I simply haven't had any problems.

We will be moving to Cordoba very soon. We bought the land and this is one of our neighbors. He has coffee beans and sugar cane.

DSCF3729_zpsf0c4de52.jpg

This small stream runs through our land.

DSCF3713_zps07fc4417.jpg

Baby on board.

DSCF3419_zpsc43732af.jpg

An ancient church in Oaxaca.

DSCF3390_zpsa3f4efa2.jpg

DSCF3413_zpse934bd5f.jpg

DSCF3405_zps04aa9767.jpg