The whys and wherefores of hats in fantasy

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I was thinking about hats the other day. Namely how, prior to the 1960s, they were expected outdoor attire for men and women, not just to keep their heads warm and dry in bad weather, but as an expected fashion accessory. The style of hat has changed throughout history, but it seems like various eras (and professions) are associated with specific types of hats.

But nowadays (in the US, at least), they're not part of expected formal attire at all, and hats/head coverings are generally only worn as a form of self-expression (like baseball caps) or personal quirkiness, or sometimes as an expression of one's culture or religion. I remember there was a time when I actually "needed" to wear a hat because I had an autoimmune condition that caused patchy, and for a while, complete hair loss, and people who didn't know often looked at me and asked, "So what's with the hat?"

So what changed? Why would something that was an expected norm throughout most of history (in Western European and US culture, at least) go mostly out of fashion (except for sports team hats) within a few decades? And why did people wear hats in the olden days. To keep their heads warm and dry in the rain? To protect themselves from the sun before sunscreen was invented? But what about wind? Wouldn't that make them inconvenient in bad weather? And why don't we care about keeping our heads dry now? Even when the weather is bad, people are more likely to go for hooded jackets or umbrellas instead of hats (except ski hats maybe).

I ask because this is something that seems to often be overlooked in secondary world fantasy. People tend to have fairly modern attitudes about head coverings in these novels, even when the societies aren't terribly modern, and the only head coverings are hooded cloaks and so on. I think Tolkien's hobbits wore these ghastly little hats, but to be honest, try as I might, I always imagine them in hoods or bare headed. I've even read a lot of fantasy where the characters don't even seem to use helms as part of their battle gear (and honestly, if there were one piece of equipment I wouldn't want to skip, that would be the one).

I've been trying to think about this in my own stories and am reflecting on how my own bias about what's normal makes me cringe at the thought of making my characters wear the kinds of hats people "really" wore in pre-industrial times. It's fantasy, of course. Doesn't have to mirror real life history. But does it make logical sense to have a pre-industrial world where people rarely wear hats?

Sorry, long post. But for those of you who write fantasy set in secondary worlds, are hats and head coverings part of the cultural landscape? Do you think about them or mention them at all as a writer?

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Once in a while, I see the standard "shapeless felt hat" used by lower classes/peasants in fantasy tales, but, yeah, it does seem to be an overlooked item. I do wonder how practical a separate hat - as opposed to a hood on a coat or cloak - would be in a quest-based fantasy adventure, though; they do a lot of running from things and ducking through dense forests and crawling through tunnels and/or sewers in those stories, the kind of situations where hats tend to get lost, and going back to look for them isn't an advisable action.

As for why they died out, going from a must like shirts and shoes to a fashion extra like a bracelet... well, they really aren't practical for many people these days. If you live and work in artificial environments (heating/AC), you have no need for weather protection or heat retention (or as a sweatband), nor do you need protection from the sunlight if you're indoors most of the time. Crowded cities and public transportation mean more likelihood of loss (or theft, people being jerks and all.) And a decent hat costs more than the average cheapie ball cap at the dollar store - an expense that likely is the first to go when the budget shrinks or inflation takes another bite of a meager paycheck.

Or it could be that haircuts and showers are more common these days, so if hats were intended to keep dirty hair out of one's face, that reason is no longer necessary.

Just spitballin' here - I have no practical knowledge of hat history. And I'm procrastinating on my NaNo project.

(That said, I do wear hats when outdoors. Not fashionable hats, though. Downright ugly hats, to be honest. But my summer hat helps keep sunlight from creeping over the top of my sunglasses, and my winter hat keeps the cold air from knifing into my ears. And they're cheap enough I can replace them if I lose them.)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yeah, I've wondered if hats went out of vogue because the widespread availability of showering since the 60s means that most people wash their hair every day, or nearly every day. Men often slicked their hair down and put hats on over, though there was a convention that they were to remove them inside, so hiding their nasty, greasy hair doesn't seem like it could have been a major motivation. And of course, at some times in history, both genders wore wigs, so why would they need to put a hat on over the fake hair they went to such pains to don?

Wealthy women's hats were often part of elaborate coiffures in the olden days, and they were usually pinned in place. As recently as the 50s or 60s, women would sleep with caps or snoods over their hairdos sometimes, so they wouldn't have to redo them from scratch every day.

I suspect that prior to the 20th century, at least, people did spend more time outside, and were more likely to walk or ride on horses or in open carriages (unless really, really rich). Hats with broad brims and bonnets (for women) protected from sunburn. Even today, guys who are balding will often wear ball caps to protect/hide their bald spot (though there was that whole head shaving thing that was popular for a while). And it makes sense that peasants, in particular, would wear utilitarian hats to cover their heads while out in the elements all day, while richer people would possibly wear more elaborate hats as status symbols (their impracticality was actually the whole point).

I've been ruminating on hats and their relevance to class and culture too, and trying to think how they fit into a society. I have a character who comes from a fairly agrarian place where women tend to wear bonnets and men tend to wear broad, floppy-brimmed hats, and it's considered appropriately modest to cover one's head. But he's now living in a place where hats are more optional and people are more likely to wear hooded cloaks when it rains (which it often does there).

But thinking on how realistic this is, given history.

Did the ancient Greeks and Romans wear hats much? They're often depicted bare-headed, but it seems that all the reasons for wearing hats in the middle ages or renaissance would apply back then too.

Last edited:

Dryad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ShannonKnight.net
My first thought on this was that I have what many people would consider a hat collection that I mostly stopped wearing as soon as I was driving most places rather than walking most places, so it seems to me that the car and temperature-controlled environments worked together to negate the need. My most awesome hats have brims that hit my car seat back, so I can't wear them in the car, and then they suddenly become a thing to store and carry and protect, which is a nuisance. Why put something on just to take it off after walking out of the house? Even the ones without a wide brim became superfluous because the journey was much shorter by car and the environment had temperature control. I had previously worn them while walking and taking public transportation. I started collecting hats because of the weather, mainly, and since I was going to and from work, ye olde beanie wasn't melding with the work attire. Temperature, wind, and rain all came into consideration prior to selecting a hat for the day--the right hat in one case wasn't ideal in another. The wider the brim, the more wind is an issue, even with a floppy brim. You might consider that for your floppy-brimmed hat. One of my favorites has a floppy brim. It reduces vision like blinders on a horse and, flop or no, is a bad choice with even a modest wind. But it sure looks good.

I don't recall having seen any artwork depicting the ancient Greeks and Romans wearing hats. Expansive Roman Empire aside, the weather would have been fairly balmy in the homelands.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
An interesting thought, because yeah, modern cars have pretty cramped head space. Though did men in the 1950s keep their fedoras on while driving?

But balmy weather didn't stop people from wearing hats in Southern Europe in later eras, and of course, there's still the need to protect oneself from the sun.

I'm just trying to get a sense for how much of pre-industrial Europe's predilection for hats was a cultural quirk and how much was inevitable, given the circumstances.

For that matter, how about non-European cultures in different times and places?

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
There's the Phrygian cap of antiquity. That's about the extent of my knowledge on classical headgear.

As for modern headgear, there are plenty of hat drivers around here at the moment. Farmers and station hands with bloody great big wide-brimmed Akubras.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I associate hats with formality - same as ladies' gloves, kind of.

I think if we go back far enough in a particular direction there may be some biblical connection to the wearing of head coverings. I dunno, but that'd be my guess?

Early- to mid-century I think it was just formal outside wear. People were simply more formal in general, dressing for travel, for eating out even in non-super-high-end restaurants, for all sorts of things. Perhaps it was the comparative rarity of some of those events, perhaps it was the general belief in formality being more appropriate or needed.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
I lived in a small town where nearly everyone wore hats. Either because they were hands and needed block from the sun, or that it was the local fashion. Hell, when a large outdoor shop opened near by, half the town was wearing their hats for a few months. It's not like hats don't exist, but they've gone out of favor in certain areas--and I'm willing to say for most of the western world as elsewhere a hat is a necessity sometimes.

In my current story, characters don't have much use for hats. They either live in constant shade or have something else covering their head already. In the story I'm resting on, one culture values shedding clothing more than applying it so hats would be pretty much a sin, and the others use hats for formal situations more than casual ones.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's something I'm thinking about, because my setting has evolved since I started writing it. Initially, it was just one of those vaguely medieval without really being medieval fantasy settings. Cobbled streets, stone buildings, picturesque taverns, guys dressed like this or this and women either in something similar if of a non traditional bent, or like this, and so on. The way my mind's eye tends to see characters in fantasy novels. But it's evolved into something a little more early modern, but there are some definite cultural differences. It's not Europe, but since the climate is similar, and because I have a fondness for architecture and so on of that bent, I sort of envision the setting to be Northern Europe in the 1600s or thereabouts. But there are definite cultural differences because of a different religious dynamic and because the presence of magic has changed the nature of gender relations somewhat. And it's a world that's more driven by trade and occasional conflict between civilizations, and less by colonialism. So I do have trouble thinking of my characters running around in some of the things people wore then.

I tend to be less lavish with descriptions of clothing and buildings than many fantasy writers, but I want to be able to provide some description and also to sneak a few little details in that illustrate differences between some of my cultures. And it occurred to me at some point that I'd really neglected hats, but that was partially because most fantasy writers seem to.

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
My characters who are naval officers sometimes wear caps and hats. I don't describe what these look like, but in my mind, the hats are like what Russell Crowe wears in Master and Commander, and the caps are military-style peaked caps.

I also have one heroine who's very fashionable, can afford to be, and doesn't need to get messy too often, so she wears large pretty hats decorated with flowers and lace and so on.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Interesting question, as always from you! I suspect that there are several explanations here.

Some hats are intensely practical - a cowboy's Stetson, a motorcyclist's helmet, a pith helmet, a farmer's cloth cap. They protect against the elements and keep sun and rain out of your eyes. Some of the need for that kind of practicality has gone as we spend more of our lives indoors or in vehicles.

Some hats denote rank or status. A civil servant's bowler hat used to be there to tell the world that this was an important person. A naval officer's cocked hat showed his rank. We still have those status symbols, but they have moved away from our heads. Now it is more about the cost quality of our clothes, the bling around our necks and on our fingers, the price tag of our cars ...

Hats can also be a fashion item - much like ties are today. A tie doesn't do much practical good, but there are circumstances where we feel obliged to wear one.

Some hats have a religious significance. They may be part of an accepted uniform or they may be there to hide the wearer's hair. As I am typing this an image of the Amish pops into my head - mostly from the film Witness.

I love your idea of hats hiding badly washed hair!

If someone from an earlier age was brought to modern times, they may well be surprised by the lack of hats. And waistcoats. Tie pins. Gaiters, spats, suspenders. Fob watches. Wigs. Cod pieces. Rouge.

But I expect they would be really surprised at how many items of clothing we wear with writing on them, especially someone else's name. T shirts with "witty" slogans. Work-wear worn by people who don't do physical work.

And phones. I was in a restaurant yesterday having lunch by myself. And naturally I looked at my phone to keep on top of the emails. As I looked up from my phone I saw a family of three - and all three were on their phones and not talking to each other. And walking the streets of London to my next meeting, every other person was either making a call or listening to music or texting while walking.

Phones may be the 21st century's equivalent of hats.

TessB

The Boxing Baroness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tessbowery.com
Floppy hats weren't going to blow off, generally - they'd be pinned to a linen cap worn underneath (a coif) that would often tie under the chin. Closer-fitting wool hats would often still be worn over a coif, because the coif could be washed.

Coifs in medieval illumination: http://thepragmaticcostumer.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/coifs.jpg

It wasn't about showering per se, although bodily cleanliness is one of the reasons... westerners in the middle and early modern ages would change their body linens daily and sponge-bathe as a method of keeping clean, rather than bodily immersion in water that was very likely to be carrying disease. (Hence the drinking of beer and watered wine, which killed bacteria, rather than cold river water which would turn your guts inside out from bacterial grunge.)

A book on lingerie-making from 1771 listed off the essential parts of a girl's trousseau, and that included 48 different nighttime head coverings for sleeping in, some caps and some scarves for wrapping the head to keep the hair clean.

(It also includes 90 linen shifts, so that the recipient could wear a clean one every day between quarterly laundry days. The conception of cleanliness was clean linens on a sponge-bathed body.)

L'art du lingerie, m. de Garsault, 1771: http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b7200315v

(It's in French, but I can translate some if anyone needs it for a reference. The trousseau listing starts on page 11).

Coifs, hats, and bound/oiled hair were really, really useful for one major reason: LICE. You didn't want those little $*()*&^&%$ anywhere near your head, and keeping your hair covered, up and out of the way, under caps that could be washed and sun-bleached easily, was the best way to do it.

It's all practical!

Last edited:

Kevin Nelson

Aspiring to authorship since 1975
Registered
Reaction score
I'd never thought about hats much before, but as it turns out they're mentioned in my novel's third paragraph. They can be an unusually elaborate article of clothing, so I guess describing a hat could be a good way to communicate that you're in a setting where they put heavy emphasis on ceremony.

It's certainly true that people in our society wear hats a LOT less than they used to. Up until the day he died, my grandfather never felt he was properly dressed to go out unless he was wearing one. I write science fiction more than fantasy, so it makes me wonder whether other now-standard articles of clothing will eventually stop being worn. If ties went the way of hats, I know I wouldn't complain.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
As for modern headgear, there are plenty of hat drivers around here at the moment.

Maybe it's too early in the morning, but I just got the most bizarre vision of an alt-world city street...

"Move yer danged Stetson - think the light's gonna get any greener?"
"Go back to Mexico, you lousy sombrero! That thing shouldn't be on the streets!"
"Danged baseball caps always cut you off!"

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
An interesting thought, because yeah, modern cars have pretty cramped head space. Though did men in the 1950s keep their fedoras on while driving?

But balmy weather didn't stop people from wearing hats in Southern Europe in later eras, and of course, there's still the need to protect oneself from the sun.

I'm just trying to get a sense for how much of pre-industrial Europe's predilection for hats was a cultural quirk and how much was inevitable, given the circumstances.

Yeah, hats were big outside of Europe too. These two Chinese street scenes from the 12th century show pretty much everyone of every class wearing some kind of head covering (except the bald Buddhist monk and some children).

scroll2_zps9546114e.jpg

scroll1_zpsbdd409bd.jpg

This guy was feeling particularly fancy

scroll3_zps4e9ad714.jpg

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I see it as just a part of overall relaxing of wardrobe requirements because basically, who has time for that. At the same time hats were the norm so were undervests, gloves for female formal wear, ironed creases in trousers, cufflinks, petticoats, and probably a dozen other things.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
My characters wear hats-- usually Stetsons, white straw cowboy hats or baseball caps and feed caps for summer; college themed stocking caps (mainly KU, blue and red jay hawk; K State, power cat in purple; Wichita State, golden shocker, black background; Fort Hays, tiger; ESU, bumble-butt). Men of Mexican descent almost always wear black felt cowboy hats for winter, sometimes with a stocking cap under the hat. Sometimes the grandmothers wear a gardening hat, a visor in the summer. It is just too hot not to--at least around our small town. Often women wear a stocking cap and scarf in a kid or grandkid's high school colors. My characters are based on the people I know--folks who are out in the wind, sun and cold day after day, so I dress them like we dress.

It was fun dressing the characters for my bootlegging stories. Kansas was dry until well into the fifties so I could remember men wearing hats like fedoras, alpines and panama's. And I had boxes of old family photos to go on. Hats and shoes? Love em.

My dad--born in 1924 tells of an "uptown aunt" he lived with after his father died. She insisted he wear a hat. He said he lost the last one just before WW2--she was pretty put out about it but he broke her of the habit of buying them--s6

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

In 1950s magazine ads men are shown driving while wearing hats.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
There's also another facet of hair-care that may inform this discussion, over and above the cleanliness issue.

I blow-dry my hair. It gets poofy in the right places. If I put on a hat, however, it gets flat. So I don't wear hats (except when I'm travelling or going into the wilderness for a while.)

It used to be that women pinned up their hair every morning, but that non-poofy hairstyle wasn't going to be squished by a hat. Instead, a hat would protect it from the wind.

So hats benefit pre-blowdryer hairstyles and ruin post-blowdryer hairstyles. I doubt anyone wore a big poofy bonnet for how it looked on their head; they wore it to keep their artfully-pinned curls in place.

Hats have always been functional, but like wristwatches, they're not necessarily something you like to wear -- you just (in some situations) need to. And we don't really need to anymore.

Tanydwr

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone else find hats difficult to describe in secondary fantasy? It's easy enough to describe a Stetson or a Tudor hat in our world, but the terminology is more difficult for a fantasy world. I do have a character (portalled via death - collapse of a rocky overhang into a pool - into a secondary world) who does get to internally describe a hat as reminding her a bit of Anne Boleyn's portrait, and I think she considers a style 'vaguely Russian' at one point. Funnily enough, she seems to wear hats more than the natives she travels with - both men, but that might be more to do with royal status than anything else. Hoods are also mentioned. Very difficult to describe coifs and caps when I decided not to use Latin-based words for the 'local version of English'!

Does anyone else reference face veils for keeping off the sun? More the ones that attached to hats than the more 'harem girl' type.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
As long as it's not pointy hats with stars on a wizard, I'm A-okay with hats. :D

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Two of my characters wear hats (most of the time at least) -- a tri-cocked hat and a musketeery thing with a big feather in it, all the better for a good bow and swish -- he likes to make an entrance.

As to why people don't wear hats any more...

QI has this to say:

The story you get from the Hat Museum in Stockport is that people stopped wearing hats after the Second World War due to the proliferation of the motor car; the roof of a car is too low and people didn't walk around as much so didn't need to keep their heads warm. They also claim that hats were an unwelcome reminder of the time people had spent in uniform.

However the dates for the rise of the car and the fall of the hat don’t correlate very closely, and a 1947 survey for the Hat Research Foundation found that although 19% of men who did not wear hats gave 'because I had to in the army' as their answer, 17% of those who did wear hats gave 'got used to it in the army' as theirs.

I know that bobbies had to change their uniform hats -- when they are traffic police anyway -- when more old fashioned (and roomier in the headroom dept) cars stopped being used. Maybe it's the lowering of the car roof due to better aerodynamics that's to blame?

PS I love that there is a hat museum

Last edited:

Dryad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ShannonKnight.net
As per written use of hats: I've got a character who wears a fedora and likes to tip his hat. Occasionally it's used for minor camouflage. I think the hat helps set him apart as hats aren't the norm in the setting.

I had an early villain who wore a hat with a feather that curved sassily beneath her chin. The feather is occasionally mentioned after that. The POV character is rather mystified by women (and the world in general), so it wasn't hard for him to focus in on wardrobe points that he found particularly baffling.

I've had characters with bonnets and veils. The veils weren't for the sun but for cultural modesty. Since they were the absolute norm, I didn't go into much detail about their appearance other than comfort points made by the wearers or minor frustration from a viewer unable to discern an expression.

---

I've known men who have worn hats specifically to hide their hair. Then, when the hair looks awful at some moment that the hat must come off, then the hat could be blamed. It seemed a dodgy tactic to me, but it worked for them.