PDA

View Full Version : need honestey about this race

cerissa
11-21-2014, 05:50 AM
first sorry about spelling honesty wrong in title i didn't realize i put an extra e in there. Ok, im throwing around an idea for a race of people for my novel I will be writing nothing is really ironed out this is a rough version of what Im thinking, but what do you guys think?
My race will be small in statue, like pixie size. live in the trees, like inside the trunks. have earth magic, they wont have wings or anything like that, while they may be small are deadly in battle as they can strike without being seen, they can move noiselessly, weather underground tunnels connecting the trees, or on the trees, and by walking or riding their dragons. the dragons are not typical dragons, as they are small, and never go to battle or fight anything, they are just kept as pets and for getting around fast.
the women will have most of the magic, men learn to fight from an early age, and learn basic magic.
like I said this is just a rough rough draft of the race. i like the thought of this, but then i was wondering is it too fairy like? i don't know much about fairies just that they are small? so be honest not rude but honest. thank you in advance

rwm4768
11-21-2014, 05:56 AM
If you write it well, it'll work. If not, it won't. There's nothing wrong with fairy-like creatures. In fact, some readers will like that.

cerissa
11-21-2014, 07:12 AM
thanks, :-)

Brightdreamer
11-21-2014, 07:18 AM
What rwm said...

Sounds like a decent race, especially for a MG/YA story. (And I'm not just saying that because they have dragons... really... ;) ) Play around with the idea some more, and see what stories you can come up with using them. Made-up races are fun and all that, but if they don't have a story to tell, nobody will know about them - people don't like to read about beings who sit around twiddling their thumbs.

cerissa
11-21-2014, 07:21 AM
thanks for the advice, I will be playing around seeing what trouble they can get themselves in and out of and ive got to smooth out the many rough edges on my race.

Thewitt
11-21-2014, 07:26 AM
I created a new race in my first book, introduced them, had some interaction with my MC and that was it. In the second book, we discover more about them, their history, their role in the world today, and they become even more interesting. In the third book....

Anyway, people who have read the first book love the race and I will continue to develop them accordingly with a rich history and purpose.

Have fun with it.

Roxxsmom
11-21-2014, 08:20 AM
They sound a bit like tree gnomes (not the D and D ones, but those ones that were popularized by this book (http://www.amazon.com/Gnomes-Wil-Nuygen/dp/B000O2RSBS/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1416543625&sr=1-2&keywords=gnomes) from the 70s or 80s).

I don't see what's wrong with small beings who live in trees, though, even if they are fairy like. It's all about how they serve your story and fit into your world.

cerissa
11-21-2014, 08:31 AM
thanks I will look at the book tomorrow, if they have it at the library, when I go for some research on a few things. to make sure im not copying those people.

rwm4768
11-21-2014, 10:26 AM
Tiny creatures and fairy-like creatures can also show up in stuff for any age group. For example, Tad Williams has written two stories with fairies in them (The War of the Flowers and his Shadowmarch series). These books can be enjoyed by readers of any age. In fact, the Shadowmarch series features a race of tiny people (not as a huge part of the story, but still a significant part).

Helix
11-21-2014, 10:33 AM
Do you know about Terry Pratchett's Nac Mac Feegle (http://discworld.wikia.com/wiki/Nac_Mac_Feegle)?

cerissa
11-21-2014, 04:25 PM
no ive never heard of it.

Filigree
11-21-2014, 06:48 PM
From Pratchett's 'Tiffany Aching' YA books. Well worth a read.

The other posters point out, and I second, that you should just write it to see how it works. Don't confuse backstory for story: the story here probably won't be about the small, feisty, dragon-riding feyfolk, but about one or a few of them interacting inside a plot. Details about the race can be folded into action and narration.

Nor does it matter if they are even like 'traditional' Victorian pixies, or more like Glenn Cook's or Terry Pratchett's more homicidal/hilarious pixies. They'll be your creation. All you have to do is be internally consistent as you write about them.

Sounds like you have a great start.

cerissa
11-21-2014, 08:48 PM
Thanks, I will look into that book and check it out from the library. all this advice is great and I appreciate it A lot,

LaneHeymont
11-25-2014, 09:21 AM
Thanks, I will look into that book and check it out from the library. all this advice is great and I appreciate it A lot,

Just remember to put your own twist on it. What separates your fairy-like creatures from every other fairy-like creature?

George R.R. Martin did elves as "Children of the Forest", though I think they are exactly the same as elves. Literally. But, I digress.

Good luck!

Once!
11-25-2014, 11:59 AM
Why not? Seems a workable premise. As I was reading your description I was getting a whiff of fairy with undertones of elf and leprechaun. And maybe just a hint of borrower too.

The one thing I wasn't too sure about was about being deadly in battle. Being a practical soul I would want to know how a very small creature would fight something larger than itself.

But apart from that, seems like an interesting race. Go for it.

Brightdreamer
11-25-2014, 09:42 PM
The one thing I wasn't too sure about was about being deadly in battle. Being a practical soul I would want to know how a very small creature would fight something larger than itself.

The obvious answer would be poison: on darts, on arrows, even on spears and blades. A less-obvious answer: their affinity with nature gives the ability to train or influence larger, deadlier beasts to defend their territory and do their killing for them, if necessary. Or this could be part of the magic they learn. (I'm presuming that, being so small, they're usually overlooked by large things, and such threats would be considered rare... at least, until/unless a pesky species like humans turns up. Most of their daily fights would be against enemies closer to their own scale.)

Bolero
11-26-2014, 01:32 AM

Yes. Me too. But having seen T Pratchetts Nac Mac Feegle, they are believable. Helps that there are a lot of them, they are totally bonkers and will happily nut your kneecaps.
Which brings to mind other small things can be deadly in a big group - bees, ants, piranhas.