Degree/certifications for sports therapist

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
What sort of degree(s) or certification(s) would a sports therapist have? It's a minor issue in my WIP but I'd like to get this right. My MC has started a new job as a bodyguard, doesn't know anything about her new boss/trainer, and sees his framed diplomas and so forth on the walls of his office. It'll give her an idea of his background before she gets to know him (and of course he's not currently working as a sports therapist, which will intrigue her). Someone on Twitter recommended a clinical psych degree with an emphasis in sports therapy. Is that accurate? What other certifications might he have hanging in his office? Thanks for any ideas!

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Use google. There appear to be a fair number of organizations that give certifications. I have no idea how valid any of them are, but that's a great business, if you start giving certifications before anyone else does.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Googling it gave me a barrage of for-profit online colleges whose websites were light on information and heavy on the "you can get a degree in eight days! Sign up here!" sales pitch. If this was a major part of the book I'd do more research, but I've already typed more words on the topic here than will end up in the book. :) I guess I can just leave it out.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, Googling it gave me a barrage of for-profit online colleges whose websites were light on information and heavy on the "you can get a degree in eight days! Sign up here!" sales pitch. If this was a major part of the book I'd do more research, but I've already typed more words on the topic here than will end up in the book. :) I guess I can just leave it out.

You don't want to start a college. You too can have you own certified college.

Eight days! I can certify someone in a single day, and the speed will bring in more money.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Are you talking about a sports physiotheraphist? If so, a couple of pointers:

BTW I don't understand why the hawt bodyguard needs to be in the therapist's office. Has she broken her leg? I think most of these guys work for specialized clinics instead of opening one themselves (what I read about when I was following NBA games & players.) Can he just give her a business card with all the fancy credentials on it? BS Kinesiology, MSPT, PhD Women's psychology, AACSM, AACE, FNATA, FFLING, etc?

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
The guy training my MC is no longer working as a therapist (he's training her to be a bodyguard), it's just his background. Your links are very helpful, thanks!

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Why would someone hire a bodyguard who needs to be trained?

So far I've read about, female bodyguards are often former fashion models (Anna Loginova), former cops (eg Emma Watson's ex NYPD detective chaperone), and military veterans. They typically go through special trainings (in Loginova's case, by former KGB instructors) and are hired through agencies (who among others, will conduct background check, ensuring the person is licensed where applicable, their guns are legal and carry is authorized, and buy liability insurances.) It's a highly specialized profession, at least if the boss is wealthy or serious about safety.

If you must have her hired and then trained for personal protection, how about hiring her as a chauffeur first, then say after a while finds her extremely reliable (eg won't bust her gay celebrity boss' closet status) and wants to promote her to his driver/bodyguard. But then someone needs to tackle all those license & insurance issues.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
She's been hired by a company who specializes in personal security, in a newly created department that will handle magical protection. It's an urban fantasy.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
That will be fascinating ^_^ (How come I've never thought of this?)

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For sports therapy or training you could have a bachelor's, Masters or Doctorate. You normally get a a state license, which depends on the state and get certified through a CAATE accredited program or training. Many have full nursing degrees, some have sports training coursework, it really depends on who what and where.

Jeff

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I went with B.A. in biology, master's in sports therapy, certified in sports massage. I figured that hit the high points and suggested an interesting past for the guy.