French translation wanted

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Hi all (and especially those of you who speak French),

I was wondering if you could confirm something for me. I want a character to say something is out of fashion (he's commenting on clothes), and he's American but trying to be a real snob so he wants to say it in French (not that French is inherently snobby, just that he thinks he's showing off). According to the internets, a la mode translates to out of fashion but also to several other things. I want my character to say "a la mode" because someone else counters with a crack about ice cream, but I also want a la mode to actually be what the first character is trying to say. Does that makes sense? I understand it and my attempt to describe it is making my head spin.

Anyway, briefly, can "a la mode" mean "out of fashion" with relation to clothing style?

Thanks!

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
I'd probably use se démoder instead (that's the infinitive form - let me know if you need it conjugated). C'est passé could work too.

TheNighSwan

Banned
Reaction score
"à la mode" (the grave accent on the "a" is important) means "in fashion", it can and is applied to clothing, very often so.

"out of fashion" would need a negation, like "this is not à la mode".

At least if it is genuine French. I know French phrases sometimes take a life of their own in English.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Hi all (and especially those of you who speak French),

I was wondering if you could confirm something for me. I want a character to say something is out of fashion (he's commenting on clothes), and he's American but trying to be a real snob so he wants to say it in French (not that French is inherently snobby, just that he thinks he's showing off). According to the internets, a la mode translates to out of fashion but also to several other things. I want my character to say "a la mode" because someone else counters with a crack about ice cream, but I also want a la mode to actually be what the first character is trying to say. Does that makes sense? I understand it and my attempt to describe it is making my head spin.

Anyway, briefly, can "a la mode" mean "out of fashion" with relation to clothing style?

Thanks!

Using "à la mode" that way wouldn't seem right, but certainly it isn't wrong. It can mean "of the style", but it would be used : "C'est à la mode de la premier regime de Charles de Gaulle." (It is of the style of Charles de Gaulle's first regime.) or Maybe "C'est à la mode de 1963."( trans It is of the style of 1963.)

It certainly does not mean "out of style".

I agree with Raburell.

I would tend to say, "C'est passe.

Last edited:

Kolta

Registered
Reaction score
I want my character to say "a la mode" because someone else counters with a crack about ice cream, but I also want a la mode to actually be what the first character is trying to say.

If you really want to keep the line because of the ice-cream bit, rather have him attempting to compliment something he considers to be fashionable. That is, if it's not terribly important that he should be making a negative comment on some clothing and this is really just there for him to use the line at all.

I'm not sure even then that it's strictly correct, but since he's being pretentious, it would kind of fit that he couldn't be bothered to use it properly.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
What if he just said something like "well it's not exactly a la mode"?

If you didn't want to use the ice cream thing, you could have him say something is "gauche." (in my experience, this tends to be something non-French speakers say to make themselves sound fancy)

PrincessOfCats

Registered
Reaction score
If it's not quite right, or even if he accidentally says exactly the opposite of what he's trying to say, that, IMO, makes it even better. He's trying to be snobby so he's going to use French except he doesn't actually speak French very well and has no idea what he's talking about or what he's saying. We've all seen THAT GUY on internet debates, who's trying to sound smart and just starts farting out words that have nothing to do with the concept he's trying to get across because they're big and he thinks no one will notice.

You don't even have to have any of the characters call him on it, if none of them knows French well enough to do so (although if someone does, you have the makings of a hilarious takedown). You could just leave it in there as a joke that anyone who knows French well will get.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
After further consideration, I decided that "à la mode" can mean out of fashion, if done right.

Oui, c'est à la mode, la mode de 1960. (Yes, it is fashionable, the fashion of 1960.)

Last edited:

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Oui, c'est a la mode, la mode de 1960. (Yes, it is fashionable, the fashion of 1960.)
That's what I'm leaning toward, only it's too much French! My Chicago PI is not quite that hoitytoity!
What if he just said something like "well it's not exactly a la mode"?

If you didn't want to use the ice cream thing, you could have him say something is "gauche." (in my experience, this tends to be something non-French speakers say to make themselves sound fancy)
Yes and yes. Coincidentally, I used a "gauche" joke in a previous book (well, I've probably used many gauche jokes by now) and made it funny by having the woman pronounce it so it rhymed with crochet.

Anyway:

Thanks for all the responses EVERYBODY! I think I shall go with something like:

"Why a more slovenly fellow might mistake the pattern for something outdated—not al a mode at all."

Then the other guy can come back with the crack about ice cream.

That sounds all right, doesn't it?

P.S. - I just got the contract for this book today! Yippee!

Last edited:

TheNighSwan

Banned
Reaction score
I would reiter my insistance on spelling it correctly: "à la mode".

"à" means "at, to, in".
"a" means "has".

arcan

Registered
Reaction score
if you want to go with "à la mode", this is the proper spelling. Instead of "not à la mode" I'd use "démodé" (out of fashion).
I'd go with something like "C'est tellement rétro" wich isn't and old way to speak, or "ça fait tellement XIXème siècle/1960..."