Estimating page count

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thewitt

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just getting ready to pull the trigger and self-publish my first book. Waiting on two artists who are working on covers now, and once I select one I'll hit the go button.

One thing I'm struggling with is page count.

If I upload to CreateSpace and create a PDF, I get a hard count.

If I just take the eBook and do the math at 250 words per page, I get a much longer page count - nearly 15% longer.

Opinions?

I'm tempted to just take the CreateSpace page count and use that everywhere, though the default font eBook length is longer as well.

-t

KarmaPolice

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've set up my page layout on my word processor to be the standard 'A format' (110x178mm) along with the house style in font, margins etc. for a publisher who (may) publish my WIP. Helps me keep track of how many pages while in the 'creation' stage.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
I'm not sure why you need to know page count, other than for the physical book. It's kind of meaningless for digital books and I can't think of anywhere I've been asked for it. Amazon will work out its own estimated page count when you upload your file.

I always specify (approximate) word count in my blurbs and state whether it is a short story, novella or novel.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
Amazon calculates their own page count and I add word count to the blurb for my short stories just to remind readers they're short stories.

GooglePlay did ask for it. On a few I used what Amazon said, on others I used the PDF page count. Seemed to come out close to the same.

I've only put my work out as ebooks so far, so not sure if it's different for a POD book.

Status
Not open for further replies.