PDA

View Full Version : Tom & Katie & Silent Birth

AnneMarble
03-28-2006, 04:39 AM
Here's some weird Tom & Katie news (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9620245/). I've heard reports that because of Scientology guidelines, Katie will be having a "silent birth." This means no noise during the birth, not even screaming from the mother giving birth.

If a man told me to have birth quietly, I think I would tear a birth canal into his body. (OK, it's a moot point as a I had a hysterectomy, but still... :tongue )

writerterri
03-28-2006, 04:53 AM
I wonder what they'll think when the baby comes out screaming?

Peggy
03-28-2006, 04:55 AM
Is it even physically possible to be totally silent during childbirth if no painkillers are allowed? It sounds like if the kid has any behavioral problems, they can blame that moan let out by mom during childbirth.

(Of course it will all be moot if they split up (http://www.defamer.com/hollywood/tom-cruise/life-style-vs-tom-katie-156407.php)).

Kida Adelyne
03-28-2006, 05:08 AM
The doctrine also states that newborns cannot be poked or prodded for medical tests or even spoken to for the first seven days of their lives, believing that babies go through so much pain during the birth, they shouldn't have to experience any further discomfort or sensory experience that could return later in life to haunt them.

0_o

It's amazing how crazy some people are.

-Ally

rhymegirl
03-28-2006, 05:12 AM
Is it even physically possible to be totally silent during childbirth?

Sure it is. Tom just has to hit Katie over the head with a sledgehammer. Then she'll be silent.

Forbidden Snowflake
03-28-2006, 05:22 AM
This is actually hilarious and ridiculous and of course scandalous. I don't really care for the two of them, so I'd be pretty much ok with her suffocating during birth and him having a heart attack.

Peggy
03-28-2006, 05:31 AM
I feel bad for Katie's parents. If the gossip rags are accurate, they have largely been cut out of her life, because they don't approve of her conversion to Scientology.

Perks
03-28-2006, 05:46 AM
That's hysterical. In keeping with my midwifery training, I'm all for dimming the lights and turning down the music and having people speak in lowered voices for a birth. (Obviously mom needs to do whatever she needs to do and screaming labor is a reality, but not as guaranteed as ER would like you to think. I never screamed.) It's a kindness to the baby considering it was warm, dark and muffled just a minute ago. But it wasn't silent. I think that would be terrifying for the infant. There was plenty he could hear just a few minutes ago and now, "Holy Crap!! I'm DEAF!"

William Haskins
03-28-2006, 06:01 AM
i'm definitely no fan of scientology but, as far as rituals go, is it really that much crazier than slicing off a baby's foreskin as a loyalty oath to god or sprinkling its head with water to keep the boogeyman away? or facing toward a meteorite five times a day to pray?

trumancoyote
03-28-2006, 06:02 AM
Uncircumcised penii do look kinda funky, William....

William Haskins
03-28-2006, 06:14 AM
a bishop in a turtleneck?

Perks
03-28-2006, 06:15 AM
Yeah, and circumcised ones look...? There's a reason Sly Stallone calls sex "bumpin' uglies."

William Haskins
03-28-2006, 06:19 AM
sly could very well be referring to himself giving oral with the "bumpin' uglies" thing.

Perks
03-28-2006, 06:22 AM
Without a doubt. (I'm really glad I'd swallowed the mouthful of vino before I read that.)

But then again, if Sly could do that, we'd have been spared many a subpar action flick.

rhymegirl
03-28-2006, 06:26 AM
But back to Tom and Katie. What is the point of a silent birth?????

trumancoyote
03-28-2006, 06:27 AM
Wait, does oral sex negate the necessity of bad action flicks in all our lives?

Perks
03-28-2006, 06:28 AM
Only if the star can do it to himself. You'd never get the oaf out of his trailer!

Back to Tim and what'sherface

William Haskins
03-28-2006, 06:34 AM
But back to Tom and Katie. What is the point of a silent birth?????

in dianetics, hubbard wrote that silence has to be maintained because any words or sounds during childbirth would be imprinted on the child's reactive mind, which he felt would have a negative effect on both mother and child.

trumancoyote
03-28-2006, 06:41 AM
And having Tom Cruise for a father won't affect the child negatively? :)

AnneMarble
03-28-2006, 06:51 AM
And having Tom Cruise for a father won't affect the child negatively? :)
:ROFL:
I wonder if he'll let the kid jump on the sofa?!
:Jump:

Perks
03-28-2006, 06:53 AM
Is Dianetics worth reading? Even for giggles? Sometimes this stuff can be so off the wall, it's fascinating.

William Haskins
03-28-2006, 07:00 AM
sure, why not?

Perks
03-28-2006, 07:01 AM
Because I'm very busy, Mr. Haskins. I hardly have time to even sit here and chat with the likes of you people.

William Haskins
03-28-2006, 07:05 AM
that will all change once you've converted.

Ocha
03-28-2006, 07:20 AM
:ROFL:
I wonder if he'll let the kid jump on the sofa?!
:Jump:

Hell, he'll probably get the kid a personal sofa-jumping trainer, who will teach the entire family how Beelzelbub, Voldemort, and Micheal Jackson can all be repelled by jumping with the correct number of bounces pi times daily.

September skies
03-28-2006, 07:20 AM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteSsh.gif -- maybe they plan on taping her mouth up.

I wonder if she's allowed to "scream" in sign language. If she did - It would probably be in the form of beating on Tom's heads! (both of them)

kikazaru
03-28-2006, 07:51 AM
The more I read about scientology the more it bugs me, and what's more I can't believe that there are so many followers. What a bunch of fruit cakes - and if ANYONE told me how I should behave during such a personal experience as childbirth I would rip them a new one. Tom would have his smarmy grin stuffed right where the sun don't shine - and I would expect him not to show any expression of pain while I did it too.

They are a whole lot of controlling, scary people. Pregnant or not that poor kid should run while she can.

DamaNegra
03-28-2006, 08:16 AM
Yeah, I mean, I can't keep myself from screaming out my whole 'bad word' dictionary whenever I hit my little toe on a hard surface (which only happens when I'm barefoot, of course)

I couldn't imagine staying silent during childbirth. Even if it didn't hurt that much, it's still fun to scream :)

My-Immortal
03-28-2006, 08:32 AM
Sure it is. Tom just has to hit Katie over the head with a sledgehammer. Then she'll be silent.

Wasn't that done already during the fertilization part of the process.....? ;)

Puddle Jumper
03-28-2006, 09:47 AM
I was thinking pretty much the same thing. Guess they could put her to sleep and have her deliver in her sleep? C-Section perhaps?

Maybe they'll put her in a bathtub of water. I've heard that it's better for the baby and that the mom very little or no pain. Don't know if it's true, that's just what I've heard. I'd hate to be the one to clean the bathtub afterwards though.

Dawno
03-28-2006, 10:09 AM
Come on, you're all just jealou...wait, I need to turn on the "rant'o'matic"

your all just jelous because Scientology was writen by a succesful Science Fiction arthur and he made lots of money and got famos. if your so smart write your own religin!

BlackCrowesChick
03-28-2006, 10:27 AM
They are a couple of fruitcakes for sure...

I've heard this before about this silent birth business. That's just awful!

Another thing - I heard that they are going to name their kid Xenu, after the alien hero or whatever of Scientology. So its going to come into the world in peace and quiet, then get an alien name slapped on it, and grow up with Tom Cruise as a dad. Why bother with the silent birth? :P

Man, did he brainwash Katie or what? How else could she have ever agreed to this stuff?

Lantern Jack
03-28-2006, 10:34 AM
The more I read about scientology the more it bugs me, and what's more I can't believe that there are so many followers. What a bunch of fruit cakes - and if ANYONE told me how I should behave during such a personal experience as childbirth I would rip them a new one. Tom would have his smarmy grin stuffed right where the sun don't shine - and I would expect him not to show any expression of pain while I did it too.

They are a whole lot of controlling, scary people. Pregnant or not that poor kid should run while she can.

More fruity than a billion zealots worshipping a megalomaniac who threatens fire and genocide when he breaths out life, gives it free will and it doesn't go his way? It has the same comedic ingredients as rigged elections in totalitarian societies. Why do normal people laugh at kooks when their own beliefs are just as kooky? Now that's a laugh riot:) :ROFL:

It's the so-called "normal" guys who always let you down. Sickos never frighten me. At least they're committed.

---Cat Woman

Yeshanu
03-28-2006, 05:32 PM
your all just jelous because Scientology was writen by a succesful Science Fiction arthur and he made lots of money and got famos. if your so smart write your own religin!

I've been thinking about it...

Jcomp
03-28-2006, 06:31 PM
Damn Tom... it's slowly building to Michael Jackson-esque craziness with dude...

I'll still be in line for MI:3 though.

William Haskins
03-28-2006, 07:07 PM
and just in case she forgets:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006140204,00.html

cool_st_elizabeth
03-28-2006, 08:18 PM
Oh, that isn't possible. I labored 34-1/2 hours, had back pain from hell, and I accused my doctor of running a torture chamber! I apologized to him afterwards & he was cool, having heard stuff like that before.

Perks
03-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Honestly, I don't see how it's possible to keep entirely silent. I can't even imagine what sort of internal pressure you'd generate trying to attempt that goal. It cannot be healthy.

But, just for Dama's benefit, I have to say that films and television love to show the profusely sweating, screeching woman in labor like it is the expected standard. It isn't. Cool_St_Elizabeth mentioned back pain. If you've got a baby who is looking anywhere but at mom's spine - then you're likely to be in for a longer and much more painful process. Hat's off to you lady, I've heard that's ungodly pain.

But, if things are lined up properly and you've got good help and you're a person who can reasonably easily calm themselves, then there is no reason to approach childbirth like a trip up the gallows' stairs. I am the biggest whimp. I hate pain. I don't understand why when you bang your knee on the corner of the desk, you just don't die. Why does it have to hurt that much if it isn't fatal? But there are two kinds (at least) of pain. There's the severed-arm-on-the-highway-something's-terribly-wrong kind of pain and then there is the enormous waves of intensity that come with a very odd, but normal, bodily function.

I never had so much as aspirin. I didn't scream. I didn't cry. It was wild to be sure and a long damn day. I am no superwoman. My husband's sardonic comeback when it was all over - "So, now that you've done natural childbirth, do you think you can manage not to cry every time you stub your toe." I said, "No, it's not the same thing."

I don't want to get flames for spouting that it's a state of mind entirely within a woman's control. I'm not. It's not painless and it's not easy and sometimes you do everything right and there's still a problem (and God bless the doctors when they're needed for these situations.) All I'm saying is that it's not what they've shown you in television dramas and some of the pain that you'll hear commonly recounted, especially from women in the United States, can be traced back to a couple of things that are medical model standards in conflict with the way humans birth babies.

But silent? Not if you're conscious...

Jaycinth
03-28-2006, 11:38 PM
....imprinting...silent birth......and I was wondering why one of my kids can swear to make a sailor melt. Must have been the 23 hours of labor and my running critique of it, my husband, politics, the world in general......

You know, if Katie's smart, she'll let her fingernails grow real long, then while she's being silent during labor she can grab Tom's handle and. . . . .

If he's screaming, no one will pay attention to her. . . .

kikazaru
03-28-2006, 11:44 PM
I didn't scream or cry either. I had back labour both times and my first didn't take corners very well so he kept trying to come out via my pubic bone - resulting in a huge purple contusion on his pate. I did however tell my husband to go smack the screaming woman down the hall and to tell her to shut up - she was wrecking my concentration. I was also extremely ticked at the doc when she told me she could see my son's ears, and then just laughed when I told her to reach in, grab his ears and pull him out. Seemed reasonable plan of action at the time.:Shrug:

It really is not possible to be silent during natural child birth - panting, grunting and groaning are all part of the experience.

Perks
03-28-2006, 11:46 PM
I was also extremely ticked at the doc when she told me she could see my son's ears, and then just laughed when I told her to reach in, grab his ears and pull him out. Seemed reasonable plan of action at the time.:Shrug:

Ha! Good plan! Although, he may have ended up looking like a lop-eared rabbit. Lol!

kikazaru
03-29-2006, 12:06 AM
Heh! The funny part is that I was perfectly serious and I couldn't figure out why the doctor thought it was funny. After 14 hours 4 of them spent huffing and puffing so hard I hyperventilated, I wasn't thinking particularily clearly! Get that damn kid OUT - and any way you can!

tiny
03-29-2006, 12:07 AM
Hell, there was no way I was going to be quiet while I was in labor. The Flyers were in the Stanely Cup playoffs and I was damn well going to cheer on my team.

Shadow_Ferret
03-29-2006, 12:16 AM
What's that little red squigly thing next to the title of this thread?

William Haskins
03-29-2006, 12:21 AM
tom's intergalactic baby delivery system

Christine N.
03-29-2006, 12:22 AM
Tom can kiss my a$$, My labor wasn't all that movie/TV screaming crap; actually the nurse told me to work on pushing and forget yelling, which was fine. But when the epi wears off in one spot and you feel every pitocin-induced contraction because your water broke before you were in labor, YOU try keeping silent.

See if he can keep quiet while someone sets his genitals on fire, or puts his testicles in a vice grip and alternately tightens and loosens it.

I'll never watch a Tom Cruise movie again, not after what he said about Brooke Shields. Uh, never. He's turned into a real jerk.

I've something silent for you, Tom. See, I'm waving - you're number 1.

Peggy
03-29-2006, 01:29 AM
The latest gossip is that they will have big posters with reminders to be quiet posted around their house (where the birth will take place).

"Be silent and make all physical movements slow and understandable. . ."

http://www.defamer.com/hollywood/tom-cruise/in-cruises-birthing-room-no-one-can-hear-you-scream-163511.php

maya
03-29-2006, 02:12 AM
I wonder what they'll think when the baby comes out screaming?

Okay. I am no expert on this bringing forth life business, but I think that this is a magnificent point, and one that the shortie has not thought thouroughly through.
I am neither a doctor nor midwife; but doesn't a newborn NEED to scream (or cry, or at the very least grunt loudly for a few seconds) to clear the phlegm its throat?
So yes, baby will cry. And unless "baby" is Einstein, isn't it unlikely that baby will be able to differentiate its own sounds from those of the others, or am I being a moron?

Not that it matters, since I do not believe that Katie will be able, without drugs, a beating, or a possession (is that allowed in Scientology, or is that just something nuns told me would happen if I had sex out of wedlock?) to stay silent.
Honestly, silence while passing something THAT large (and mobile, let's not forget that it can move)? Dream on.

Pardon the indelicacy, but has Tom never had food poisoning? And he thinks that childbirth is LESS painful because.....????? I can't even finish the sentence. I give up. Good luck to her. Hopefully they'll remember to switch their mobile phones to "silent", or else the kid may imprint on the Mission Impossible theme. As long as it doesn't decide to self-destruct I suppose.

NeuroFizz
03-29-2006, 02:12 AM
I don't think Tom is bright enough to realize they go in a lot easier than they come out.

trumancoyote
03-29-2006, 02:21 AM
He stuck a baby in her vagina?

tiny
03-29-2006, 02:24 AM
He stuck a baby in her vagina?

That's one way of putting it.

William Haskins
03-29-2006, 02:27 AM
all this talk about tom being in any way involved in the impregnation process is ridiculous.

Perks
03-29-2006, 02:30 AM
but doesn't a newborn NEED to scream (or cry, or at the very least grunt loudly for a few seconds) to clear the phlegm its throat?

It's not a biological necessity and not all newborns scream. (Grunting in a newborn is a sign of respiratory distress.) In a sluggish baby, it can be advisable to induce a cry (the old heiny slap - although I don't think anyone does that anymore) because nothing pinks one up like gulping great lungfuls of air to give voice to indignance. Many babies breathe placidly on their own from the start with no crying at all. But it's a fairly natural reaction. They didn't even know there was an "out there." Can you imagine?

The imprinting the Scientologists seem to be concerning themselves with would actually only be avoided by a silent gestation, considering the fetus can usually hear quite well by 24-26 weeks. They react to sound much earlier than even that. I can't imagine what Tom and his buddies are thinking. A bit of soothing, subdued crooning by a familiar voice seems to calm many a newborn. They're talking nonsense.

Perks
03-29-2006, 02:31 AM
all this talk about tom being in any way involved in the impregnation process is ridiculous.

Why, you gossip monger!

Stew21
03-29-2006, 02:38 AM
One of the most wonderful things about the births of my boys is the sight of them when they first arrive. And how do you not put words to that? I remember the first thing I said when Kyle was born and the first thing I said when Jack was born. and I will forever. And I'm glad I said them. I can't imagine being silent at a moment like that.

Perks
03-29-2006, 02:41 AM
My sister-in-law had not known the sex of her child before the birth, but desperately wanted a girl. The birth was kind of dramatic (we were there 23 hours) and when they finally announced she was a girl from across the room, Katie started sobbing, "It's a girl; it's a girl; it's a... oh! you're so ugly!"

That imprint will leave a mark. Maybe Tom's right.

Jamesaritchie
03-29-2006, 02:54 AM
More fruity than a billion zealots worshipping a megalomaniac who threatens fire and genocide when he breaths out life, gives it free will and it doesn't go his way? It has the same comedic ingredients as rigged elections in totalitarian societies. Why do normal people laugh at kooks when their own beliefs are just as kooky? Now that's a laugh riot:) :ROFL:

It's the so-called "normal" guys who always let you down. Sickos never frighten me. At least they're committed.

---Cat Woman

When you're God, you're allowed to be a meglomaniac, though God isn't one, of course. The true definition of megalomani, in fact, the classic definition, is calling God a megalomaniac. Normal people do not have beliefs as kooky as scientology. As I'm sure you'll learn one day.

Kida Adelyne
03-29-2006, 03:58 AM

:roll:

maya
03-29-2006, 04:52 AM
It's not a biological necessity and not all newborns scream. (Grunting in a newborn is a sign of respiratory distress.)

I stand corrected. This is very good information to have...I won't feel the need to slap my friend's baby should she deliver a "silent one". I thank you. (And I suspect that my friend, and her unborn, thank you even more.)

[QUOTE=Perks]They didn't even know there was an "out there." Can you imagine?[QUOTE]

No, but then I don't know much about these baby-things. More importantly, and given that he's about to have one of his own, it's quite disturbing that tommy-boy doesn't seem to be able to imagine this either.

[QUOTE=Perks] The imprinting the Scientologists seem to be concerning themselves with would actually only be avoided by a silent gestation, considering the fetus can usually hear quite well by 24-26 weeks. They react to sound much earlier than even that. I can't imagine what Tom and his buddies are thinking. A bit of soothing, subdued crooning by a familiar voice seems to calm many a newborn. They're talking nonsense.[QUOTE]

They certainly are. But what do you know? You're just a sensible, informed person with an intellect, empathy and a real life. Plus, you actually care about the people around you. If you were really important, you wouldn't know all this nonsense about others (big or small), you'd be focusing on the most important things on the planet: You and your ego. Just like Tommy-boy does.

As an aside to this 24-26 week hearing and imprinting thing: Does anyone know exactly when (relative to little-Kate's pregnancy) the couch-whooping-fool-of-me-I'm-making incident occured? The potential for a travesty is bothering me.

And finally (and sorry for being a pain, but you've got me interested now) - do you happen to know when the child starts to physically react to outside stimuli? It's always fascinated me....I know they kick and move about in the later months, but it seems to me that their reflexes would develop much sooner, even if they were less "extreme".

Cheers!
M

Perks
03-29-2006, 05:10 AM
And finally (and sorry for being a pain, but you've got me interested now) - do you happen to know when the child starts to physically react to outside stimuli? It's always fascinated me....I know they kick and move about in the later months, but it seems to me that their reflexes would develop much sooner, even if they were less "extreme".

Cheers!
MYou're not a pain. I did a good bit of study towards becoming a midwife, but it turns out I'm just a little too squeamish. Weird thing, though. I'm not a "kid person." I love my own children just fine, but I'm not someone who is drawn to children just because. Pregnancy and childbirth, though, are absolutely fascinating to me.

Anyway, there are tons of cool resources if you google "fetal development" but for a few tidbits, the fetus is already doing somersaults and tap dances by 12 weeks (pregnany is generally about 40 weeks long) although the mother can't usually feel anything until 16-20 weeks and people on the outside with a hand to the belly some days to weeks after that.

Some studies indicate reaction to sound as early as 13-15 weeks, but it's not clear if this is actual hearing or just to the vibrations of loud noises. Either way, they respond to stimuli. Some can suck their own thumbs by week 16. They can see light and dark by week 26 or 27. And, I can't resist. If you want to see something funny - http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=519151&postcount=15

Obviously, I love to talk about this stuff. PM if you want to chat more or want me to direct you to some resources. It's wild.

AnneMarble
03-29-2006, 05:17 AM
"Be silent and make all physical movements slow and understandable. . ."
What is the difference between an "understandable" physical movement and one that is not understandable? I mean, I can understand that they're saying "Don't make any sudden movements that might startle the baby!" But sometimes, sudden movements are needed to help the baby! If someone drops the baby, no one is going to move slowly and understandably to keep it from hitting the floor!

Then again, I can think of one physical movement Tom will understand. Christine N referred to it in her last post. ;)

Perks
03-29-2006, 05:20 AM
The link in my above post could be Tom's baby. But it's not. Not as far as my husband knows. Good lord! What am I saying? Not on a double dare if there were only three men left on earth and the other two were Dennis Rodman and Tiny Tim. It's just that his baby may be doing the same thing...

Jeesh.

stace001
03-29-2006, 06:00 AM
When I was pregnant with my son, he loved U2. Whenever he was practising his right hook, I'd play U2 and he'd calm down. It was the same with Mozart. He loved both of them. As for Katie's silent birth, if she's decided Mr. Mission Impossible is her man-in-a-million, and she wants to have a silent birth, then I say give it a go. I think she's kidding herself, but its her decision.

stace001
03-29-2006, 06:06 AM
I'll never watch a Tom Cruise movie again, not after what he said about Brooke Shields. Uh, never. He's turned into a real jerk.

What did he say about Brooke Shields???:Shrug:

poetinahat
03-29-2006, 06:16 AM
Entertainment as news is just bizarre, isn't it? What, really, is the fascination with the real lives of people who happen to make a living pretending to be other people?

Is it more appalling when it's an actor demanding silent birth, but not an issue when Joe Bloggs, Scientologist, does the same?

This guy's as good as Madonna at keeping his face in the news so that nobody notices how fast his star is fading.

Elincoln
03-29-2006, 06:25 AM
What did he say about Brooke Shields???:Shrug:

He didn't approve of her complaining about her depression after giving birth to her child, nor did he think she should be taking medication for it.

Like he would know what it feels like to have your hormones throw a kegger...Humph!:rant:

DamaNegra
03-29-2006, 06:33 AM
Like he would know what it feels like to have your hormones throw a kegger...Humph!:rant:

Yeah, I know! Today I started crying for absolutely no reason, right in the middle of my capoeira class. And I havent' had a baby!

I think someone should give Tom a vagina and ovaries to see how he feels about it.

William Haskins
03-29-2006, 06:49 AM
i suspect he'd find them icky.

writerterri
03-29-2006, 07:15 AM
What did he say about Brooke Shields (Tom Cruis)???:Shrug:

I can't even look at that guy anymore. I hope his cocos fall off and he can't have any kids of his own and he goes through a heck of a depression.

THAT MORON!

Sorry, I got a little carried away.

Perks
03-29-2006, 07:54 AM
I think someone should give Tom a vagina and ovaries to see how he feels about it.

It's the ovaries he needs. They're the real troublemakers.

Puddle Jumper
03-29-2006, 08:14 AM
Another thing - I heard that they are going to name their kid Xenu, after the alien hero or whatever of Scientology.
Oh you just gave me a horrible mental image of when the baby was born in the V mini-series - remember with the forked tongue? You gave me the mental picture of Tom and Katie in that scene. Bleh!

stace001
03-29-2006, 10:18 AM
He didn't approve of her complaining about her depression after giving birth to her child, nor did he think she should be taking medication for it.

:e2smack: Oh, I didn't realize he was a Psychologist, or that he had a vagina.

I do now realize he's a d*#kless wonder. :mad:

Peggy
03-29-2006, 12:42 PM
What is the difference between an "understandable" physical movement and one that is not understandable? I mean, I can understand that they're saying "Don't make any sudden movements that might startle the baby!" But sometimes, sudden movements are needed to help the baby! If someone drops the baby, no one is going to move slowly and understandably to keep it from hitting the floor!Maybe Tom and Katie have been learning the body language of neonates.
Then again, I can think of one physical movement Tom will understand. Christine N referred to it in her last post. ;)Some gestures are universal.