Noob Question: Does this sound right?

CatchVonnegut

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys. So after querying a few agents, one wrote back and said they'd be happy to read my full manuscript if I could get my word count up. My current word count is 59k, but they wanted it to be in the neighborhood of 80k. They also wrote me a note about how for a first time novelist, it can be much harder to sell a novel with too low (<75k) or too high (110k<) of a word count. What do you guys think? Either way, I've already decided to count it as my first request for a full. ;)

Now where is that dancing banana...

Last edited:

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's about right. Depending on your genre, you're probably writing into novella territory. The novella market is rather small, and agents aren't interested to say the least, so it would have to be a certain size to sell to whatever genre market you're in.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
59K is too short for today's adult market

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It depends entirely on the genre. Some genres frequently take novels shorter than yours, and some frequently take novels quite a bit longer than 119k, even from new writers.

CatchVonnegut

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the helpful info, guys! I really appreciate it. I think my main character is going to start making a lot of lists.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Technically, you've gotten your first R & R (revise and resubmit). Congrats! And kudos to the agent who saw the potential enough to make the suggestion without just tossing the query.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
I had the same problem with my first novel - had to add about 5,000 words. My second novel was too long - had to cut 10,000. It depends on the publisher and the genre. Mysteries come in at around 65K, shorter than most, while thrillers are expected to be at least 70K and up and sci-fi is usually expected to be 80K or more. My publisher excepts manuscripts of 60K and up (mainly horror and sci-fi thrillers), so it's all relative. 59K is probably a little on the short side, though. Good luck!

CatchVonnegut

Registered
Reaction score
Again, thanks so much for all the info. I really had no idea word count was so specific, or specific to genre. I'm still not 100% sure how to categorize my novel. I guess I'd say commercial fiction? It's essentially a romantic comedy (more 40 Year Old Virgin than Sleepless in Seattle).