PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this?

JackieS
11-05-2014, 10:02 PM
An agent I queried came back with a full request (squee!) A few weeks after, I received an email with info about their writer's conference listing prices, perks, etc. I thought nothing of it...

A week or so after this, I tweaked the end of my story so I sent the update to the agent. A few days later, I get the same email about the conference. Looking more closely, there are services offered (for a fee of course) along with the fees/ packages listed for the conference, big sales pitch stating things like "Isn't it unbelievable that a person with my resume offers such services for such a cheap fee?!"

Do legit agents do this? I haven't been asked to pay anything, but I am wondering now if this is normal practice? I can't afford to go to any conferences at this time, nor can I afford time away from work or my 3 young kids. Is this required to make it as a new writer?

jcwriter
11-05-2014, 10:05 PM
How did you find this agent? Did you check the agency out on AgentQuery.com?

JackieS
11-05-2014, 10:22 PM
Found the agent through Linked In (2nd degree connection to me.) Can you look up specific agents on Agent Query? I am going to try now, thanks!

jcwriter
11-05-2014, 10:26 PM
You can also check an agent's bona fides at Preditors & Editors; the link is http://pred-ed.com/

And yes, you can look up specific agents on Agent Query.

Old Hack
11-05-2014, 10:32 PM
You could check in our Bewares room; and if you'd like you could send me a PM with the name of the agent and if possible, a link to their website, and I'll let you know if I've heard of anything dodgy about them.

It sounds a bit odd to me.

JackieS
11-05-2014, 10:38 PM
You guys are the best. Thank you so much. I will check out all suggestions.

Filigree
11-05-2014, 11:49 PM
No, this isn't really kosher. Be careful.

Jamesaritchie
11-06-2014, 07:28 PM
It has red flags all over it. Never query an agent until yu check her out. At the very least, you need to know which publishers she has placed books with, and who some of her writers are.

Scams abound, so find out at least this much before querying.