PDA

View Full Version : Ahh crud I got a bite...need advice

Velcro
11-05-2014, 03:02 AM
I just got a message from a lit agent asking to read more of my 130k fantasy manuscript which is totally awesome! Unfortunately I had reached out to this agency back in July...and never heard back so I figured it was "no response = not interested". So I went through query letter hell and the overwhelming feedback was I should change my story to middle grade. So I pared it down, got positive feedback from betas and sent out another round of queries touting it as a 65k MG fantasy.

My question is should I tell the agent I altered the story from when I first sent it to them or dig up the old manuscript and send that?

JackieS
11-05-2014, 03:13 AM
If I were in your shoes and the agent was interested in the original story, I would attach the original manuscript noting your situation. OR you could proceed without telling the agent of your alterations. If you are offered representation, great. If not, you can propose your new MG format. Good luck!

Sage
11-05-2014, 03:24 AM
My first thought was to send the 130K version and mention the MG version (assuming the agent reps MG and you like both versions). But I'm rethinking the mention, and here's why. A 65K novel aimed at children, when you probably were aiming for adults originally, is a completely different animal from what you queried. It's half the size! It's a different market! And by necessity, it's not what this agent requested.

If this agent were to reject on the basis that she was hoping for an MG or she thinks that it's too long or anything else that you've already revised, that's when I would bring up the alternate version.

Quentin Nokov
11-05-2014, 03:46 AM
I'd recommend sending out the 130k fantasy novel to the agent. If she's interested and offers representation--awesome, if not, continue to query the MG version. I think it's worth a try sending it out. Worst case scenario is she'll read it and say it doesn't work for her, but you already accepted that answer months ago. So, why not take a second chance? Send the original.

Filigree
11-05-2014, 05:34 AM
I agree with Quentin: shop both versions, since they're so different.

Adding: when I was looking for an agent, I gave each one four months to respond before I wrote them off as not interested. This can be a slow process.

Velcro
11-05-2014, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the advice everybody. After careful deliberation, I'm going to submit the original manuscript as she asked for. I tend to over think these types of things so your input was very helpful.

I'd say wish me luck but I'm a Theater Major and we consider that bad luck...so I wonder if "break a leg" is more appropriate? But a writer is unlikely to break his leg so maybe "hope you get a paper cut"?

Siri Kirpal
11-05-2014, 07:54 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Into the mouth of the lion! :)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

ElaineA
11-05-2014, 09:44 AM
I'll go with Break a Leg, Velcro. It can apply to the "playwright," too, can't it? Let's just say YES! It can. :D