PDA

View Full Version : Who's hiding out with their porch lights off?

Fruitbat
11-01-2014, 03:25 AM
I didn't feel like buying candy. We only get a couple of trick-or-treaters, if any at all. I don't know any of them and don't have little kids of my own anymore. When I buy candy, I end up eating it all myself and gain weight. I just turned off the front lights and plan to hide out until it's over. If I get caught out somehow, I'll give them a couple of quarters or something. The thrill is gone!

Hmmm... I think I see some of y'all's lil noses peeking out from behind the curtains. I think I'm not the only one.

Halloween grinches, come forth and confess!

ULTRAGOTHA
11-01-2014, 03:28 AM
This neighborhood gets a bunch of kids. I don't like handing out candy and there are no longer any cheap fun toys I can find that aren't made in China. So for the past few years, we've parked the van in front of the walkway to the house and turned off all the lights.

Quentin Nokov
11-01-2014, 03:34 AM
For nearly 30 years we never got trick-or-treaters, but last year two boys came up our driveway so we closed the gate this year. We live like 125-130 feet away from the road so most kids don't realize we're back here.

But we don't really have money to buy candy just to hand it out. If we buy candy we buy it for us. And I love candy too much to share. And besides all those other reasons, I don't like or participate in Halloween for religious reasons.

Fruitbat
11-01-2014, 03:34 AM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one! :)

Albedo
11-01-2014, 03:39 AM
I spent last night ignoring the door buzzer. Some of the little bastards held it down for 30 seconds or more. Well screw you, kids, I'm not getting out-passive-aggressioned by someone a third my age. I'll just sit here ignoring it even harder.

Fruitbat
11-01-2014, 03:43 AM
I spent last night ignoring the door buzzer. Some of the little bastards held it down for 30 seconds or more. Well screw you, kids, I'm not getting out-passive-aggressioned by someone a third my age. I'll just sit here ignoring it even harder.

:roll:

mccardey
11-01-2014, 03:43 AM
I had the whole Hallowe'en thing set up, and then I got called out unexpectedly to a dinner - which meant I could only leave the light on and the bowl of treats on the verandah *sob*

When we got back, about 2/3 of the sweets were gone, and there was a thank you note (on the back of someone's old shopping docket, and two little daisies propped against the door. Admittedly the daisies were from my garden ;) - but how cute!

I'm going to pop over next door and ask how many goblins and fairies I missed. Such a pity!

BenPanced
11-01-2014, 03:46 AM
:chair

alleycat
11-01-2014, 03:49 AM
I'm not home!

I've gotten where I don't even buy any candy. I never got a lot of trick-or-treaters anyway. If I had friends who had younger children who lived close by it would be different.

Ken
11-01-2014, 04:01 AM
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/b3/43/96/b3439683b581a20becc8870ae8acd360.jpg

are you sure nobody is home ?

chompers
11-01-2014, 04:07 AM
We never get trick-or-treaters here, 'cause it's a gated community. I wouldn't mind though. They're so cute!

Should I show myself out now...?

Ladyxkaa
11-01-2014, 04:18 AM
the seven years I've lived here, no one's ever came over to trick-or-treat at our door. which is fine by me and dad, we don't like socialization and I really just don't like kids. too many bad experiences with the little buggers.

shadowwalker
11-01-2014, 04:26 AM
I don't do Halloween any more because we just don't get any kids. I can remember one year we got 150! It was so much fun - every year my son and I would add 1-2 new decorations for the yard (the more ghoulish the better), and we'd spend hours just figuring out what his costume would be. But then he grew up, and I moved from the City, and the schools and churchs and town started having Halloween 'parties'...

I miss it.

Wilde_at_heart
11-01-2014, 04:34 AM
Each year there are fewer kids who come to the door. Dunno why, the double-homicide and the body found in a freezer on my street happened years ago!

True story, actually :chair

T Robinson
11-01-2014, 04:46 AM
You are not alone.

ShaunHorton
11-01-2014, 04:55 AM
Just pisses me off because people don't know Halloween etiquette anymore. I sit here with all the inside lights off and the porch light off and still the little bastards come knocking and ringing the bell. For all intents and purposes, it absolutely looks like nobody's home.

Vito
11-01-2014, 04:55 AM
The porch light is off, and I just finished piling the furniture against the front and back doors. Next up is nailing the windows shut, which is a lot harder than it looks. (It looks easy when you see someone do it on a TV show, but it's actually a major chore).

Not sure if I'm gonna lay out a "minefield" of broken glass and rusty nails on the driveway like I did last year. Seems like overkill, if you know what I mean.

Albedo
11-01-2014, 05:02 AM
Not sure if I'm gonna lay out a "minefield" of broken glass and rusty nails on the driveway like I did last year. Seems like overkill, if you know what I mean.

Actual mines are much more effective. Determined trick-or-treaters will just use rolls of old carpet to get over any sharp obstacles.

Ladyxkaa
11-01-2014, 05:07 AM
indeed, albedo, indeed.

chompers
11-01-2014, 05:28 AM
The porch light is off, and I just finished piling the furniture against the front and back doors. Next up is nailing the windows shut, which is a lot harder than it looks. (It looks easy when you see someone do it on a TV show, but it's actually a major chore).

We know who to TP next!!

Actually, I just got home. There didn't look to be much trick-or-treaters out there tonight for some reason.

GingerGunlock
11-01-2014, 06:25 AM
My block of street is mostly college rentals, so I think parents (and kids of free-roaming age) just don't come here, but I still didn't turn on the porch light 'til about ten minutes ago. The two-hour parade of college kids walking past to go to the frat houses a couple blocks over may have just finished. Or lulled. It's hard to tell >.>

Motley
11-01-2014, 06:52 AM
My autistic son hates the doorbell, so we never gave stuff out. We keep everything dark, but the front door is in the living room where we hang out, so I guess people can hear that we're home. Two or three kids usually ring or knock, but I just don't answer.

We watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers instead.

Ladyxkaa
11-01-2014, 06:57 AM
I really need to try that movie out, motley o.o I've known about it existing since I was rather young, but I've never actually seen it...I'm sorry your son gets upset at the doorbell D=

cornflake
11-01-2014, 07:33 AM
I had the whole Hallowe'en thing set up, and then I got called out unexpectedly to a dinner - which meant I could only leave the light on and the bowl of treats on the verandah *sob*

When we got back, about 2/3 of the sweets were gone, and there was a thank you note (on the back of someone's old shopping docket, and two little daisies propped against the door. Admittedly the daisies were from my garden ;) - but how cute!

I'm going to pop over next door and ask how many goblins and fairies I missed. Such a pity!

I'm with the pup - and your neighbours are adorable!

It's not a random thing here though - there's a signup sheet. :) I handed out candy, even gave some to some teens who were going by my door as I was going out and very nicely said 'we don't have candy bags, we got Chipotle,' though they had costumes on. I offered them candy anyway and they were all 'oh, you don't have to do that.' I showed I still had tons left and one said, 'well, there's Reese's...' then they all took a bunch and told me how nice I was.

There're a couple blocks nearby that turn themselves over to Halloween. One house had a whole Star Wars themed display out front - complete with lasers and a talking R2D2. One had a Ghostbusters sign and 'Who You Gonna Call?' writ large across the front in chalk, with a hanging slimer. The adjoining building had a big, blow-up Mr. Stay Puft.

One had giant spiders hanging from their trees in front. Was quite awesome.

Best costumes I saw included a like 9-year-old girl dressed like a dinner table. She had a checked shirt and a full square table round her waist, with matching tablecloth and glued-on place settings and bread and stuff; a smallish, like 6-year-old size kid entirely ensconced in a really well-done homemade cupcake costume - all that was visible was two wee eyes peeking out of a mound of cotton fluff 'icing;' a Little Red Riding Hood who was maybe four months old and too cute for words, and a small, fluffy black dog wearing a really effectively head-turning spider costume, chugging along, eight legs bouncing.