UK police stations

MJRevell

www.mikerevell.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mikerevell.com
Hi guys,

Does anyone know what the holding facilities are like in UK police stations if someone needs to be detained overnight or something?

On American dramas, police stations usually have cells somewhere in the building for when someone is arrested. Is it the same in the UK?

If so, how many would there usually be? What would they look like? Traditional metal bars, or not?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Metal bars aren't traditional here. A cell was usually stone walls with a small high window and a thick door. And they are pretty much like that now.

As to whether it has cells, most do I think. But most are only for holding people for a very short time. As to how many it depends on the size and location of the police station.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Going to depend where you are as to how many

My local nick has a couple (for holding onto er...people who may be a little the worse for wear, or on minor charges etc. Guy I used to know before he died was on first name terms with the coppers. Used to like the fry ups he got)
Next town over has a fair few more I think, but the town is three times the size. We are a middle sized market town for reference. ANyeon going to be in for more than a bit (ie remanded in custody etc) gets transferred.

A city is going to have loads.

And yeah, we don't go in for metal bars etc much. A lot of the nicks are older (victorian etc) so bars are not traditional -- walls are, good solid stone walls and a thick metal door with a thing in it for looking in/passing in meals. Newer ones tend to follow the model only,well, newer. :)

Last edited:

KarmaPolice

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, even modern nicks have the 'stone' wall cells - I recently saw one. However, metal bars are in higher use, particularly separating the 'cell block' corridor from the rest of the station.

Hit YouTube and watch an episode of The Bill. Can't go wrong in using their layout, though taking into account of advances of technology.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Go and ask at your local police station. Police officers read books, they like writers to get it right

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Smaller towns the police stations are often only part-time - and more of them are being closed down for economies. They'd definitely not have holding cells - or if they had them they were a historic hangover and are unlikely to be used.

To state the obvious, pick a quiet evening mid-week for asking your questions. Not Friday or Saturday :). You might want to write first, or just ask nicely.

Last edited:

Los Pollos Hermanos

Craving the next chocolate hit...
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure where you are in the UK, but if you're anywhere near Lancashire Constabulary they've been pretty helpful for me.

I'd email first, and see if they can arrange an off-peak ;) visit, as has already been suggested by Bolero. I've always found the Dibble (especially the cold case unit) really helpful on the occasions I've picked their brains, but it also helps having a couple of friends who work for Greater Manchester (he's a detective) and the Met (he's in CID).

An offering of cake or doughnuts always goes down well too...

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
My local station has a couple of holding cells - they are usually used for people who are drunk and disorderly, or people who have just been lifted for something and are being processed. they are basically a small room with a heavy metal door. No bars.

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
I was a Custody Sergeant in a large County force and then transferred to London Metropolitan. The cell complex is pretty much the same but varies in size. In the counties we had 7 cells and a detention room for juvenilles. In the City we had about 12 cells and 2 detention rooms. The prisoner is brought in from the outside to the outer office where the Sgt hears the evidence and authorizes custody, the prisoner is then searched and his property bagged. He is lead from the custody office through a heavy barred gate much as you see on the cells in US Westerns. Behind that gate is a corridor with cells off of it either on one side only or both sides.

All the cells are the same, heavy metal dark brown door with a hatch in it that can only be opened from outside and allows meals and water etc to be passed through. The bed is of a heavy wood construction built into the wall and floor there is a thin plastic coated mattress on it. The toilet is stainless steel with no seat, the inside of all the doors are generally covered in scratched graffiti. the prisoners shoes and belt are removed and left on the floor outside, the doors are so heavy and self locking that when they are closed there is a resounding 'thunk'. There is a buzzer inside and a light over the outside of the cell door, if the prisoner becomes a nuisance this can be disabled from outside. The floor is also brown and smooth textured for mopping up any spills. Within the barred gate area there are interview rooms and a fingerprint / photograph room.

Hope this helps? Should you need anything further you can ask on here or PM me.
Best, Steve