Time Magazine Article

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A new piece in Time Magazine is a less than flattering view of witches in real life and popular culture.

Once again through TV shows like Witches of Eat End, Salem, and American Horror Story witches are being portrayed as good or evil, who cast spells that are downright ludicrous.

One very disturbing quote from a book by historian and archaeologist Emerson Baker compares witches to terrorists.

Tyler Silvaris

Master of the Shadowcloak
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
I officially have a crick in my neck from shaking my head as I read through the entire article.

It blows my mind how even in today's age of equality and acceptance that there can still be people that look at this stuff and see everything but the obvious: witches are more popular because even if what we see on TV is nothing like being a real witch, we still think it's cool to see what fantasy does with our way of life. The number of pagans and various others that proudly call themselves witches grows every day and so witch fantasy is just the obvious outcome.

Leave it to a stuffy 'traditionalist' publication like Time to write that huge article about the popularity of witch fiction without talking about a single example of actual modern witches. It all fed back to 1692 Salem and The Crucible. Nothing else. It's ridiculous, and as someone with a degree in Journalism I find it a horrible case of Selective Journalism and incredibly unprofessional.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would have expected something like this in the 1700s not today.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not in the least surprised. It's yet another example of othering: that fear-based human predilection for maligning or denigrating those who are different. People who wish to understand and learn will educate themselves. The vast majority will not. No matter the century, humans are by and large lemmings.