Submitted partial single spaced

JackieS

Registered
Reaction score
I am kicking myself. Just started the query process after finishing my first novel (7 years in the making.) I received a request for my first 50 pages about 12 hours after querying a featured writer's digest agent. I googled how to submit a partial as there were no guidelines listed on the agency's website other than "learn about the process and don't screw up, "and was careful to number my pages (in the wrong spot- bottom center) and include my original query, synopsis and title page with my contact information. I didn't find anything saying to submit double spaced, so I sent this single spaced.

I am so mad and upset at myself. I hope she doesn't reject me on sight of this. Submitted about 3 weeks ago I have been struggling with this for 2 weeks now, not knowing whether I should send an apology with a double spaced submission or just wait it out. I hope I didn't ruin a rare opportunity as a complete novice with no credits.

Please tell me whether I still have a chance with her.

Thank you,
Jackie

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I think this is probably one of those things we fret over that is...not as huge a deal as we make it. (I'm totally like you. I've made silly mistakes that have me biting my nails for weeks.)

If you think about it, all the agent (or her/his assistant) has to do is open the document, change the spacing, save the document and VOILA! double-spaced. It's very likely NOT a deal-killer. Try to remember that the agent asked for your partial because s/he is interested in the story.

Just for future reference, I don't know of any agent who wants single-spaced submissions, and most of them want Times New Roman or Courier font. Remember how much reading they do, much of it on phones or tablets. Give their eyes a break. :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
With snail mail submissions, this is a horrendous problem, and is likely to cause an instant rejections. With e-submissions, it's usually not much of a problem. Usually. It depends on the mood of the agent or editor, or what a first reader has been told to do, or what a first reader decides to do, etc.

The thing about double-spaced is that it's standard, everywhere, for all types of writing, shorty stories, novels, articles, etc., so most feel there's no need to spell it out, to post it on every website.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't reject just because something was single-spaced. If it were badly written it would be in that no-pile before I'd read the first page, though.

It's a mistake, that's all. Try to do better next time, and don't worry about this: it won't help, and could make you feel bad--so what's the point?

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
It's probably not a major snafu, so try not to be hard on yourself about it. Chalk it up to learning the ropes. Next time, you'll know what to do. Keep querying. If you got one request already, you'll likely get more.

At least you didn't send your partial to a totally different agent accidentally (which I've done).

Welcome to the querying stage. Good luck! :)

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not a big deal at all. :) In fact, the agent I intern for sent me an MS last week which was horribly formatted. The spacing was all wonky and it was SO distracting, so I fixed the formatting for myself. Took me all of 3 seconds. And I ended up loving the MS so much I am all tied up in knots about it, wondering if the agent is going to fall in love with it too.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Not a big deal at all. :) In fact, the agent I intern for sent me an MS last week which was horribly formatted. The spacing was all wonky and it was SO distracting, so I fixed the formatting for myself. Took me all of 3 seconds. And I ended up loving the MS so much I am all tied up in knots about it, wondering if the agent is going to fall in love with it too.

It depends entirely on the agent, or on the first reader. What doesn't both one agent or first reader can make another agent or first reader hit the reject button.

Some don't mind single-spaced, or wonky formatting, and some detest it.

It's best to follow stand formatting in every way. There is no way of knowing which kind of editor or first reader you'll get.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It depends entirely on the agent, or on the first reader. What doesn't both one agent or first reader can make another agent or first reader hit the reject button.

Some don't mind single-spaced, or wonky formatting, and some detest it.

It's best to follow stand formatting in every way. There is no way of knowing which kind of editor or first reader you'll get.

I definitely think following the standard double space formatting is the way to go. But for the occasional mistake...meh, I wouldn't worry about it. I feel like if the agent liked the premise enough to request pages, chances are, she'd take the three seconds required to reformat spacing.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I clicked the "send" button before attaching the partial.

Twice.

To two different publishers.

About 20 minutes apart.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
For e-mail, plain text with little formatting can be better, because not every mailer reads everything the same way.

For snail mail, well, hopefully the agent realizes a human being is making the submission. We all mess up. I bet an agent or two has messed up a submission to an editor.

Double check the next time.