Two Agents Reading...disclosure

Emerson Dell

I sent a partial (5 chapters) to an agent who did not ask for exclusivity. Then another agent asked for a full ms., and I sent it. Should I write both agents and disclose that another agent is reading (one a partial and the other a full)? In other words, is it okay to let two agents read at the same time, given that neither has exclusivity, and am I obliged to tell each about the other (not naming names, of course)?

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Stormie too. Especially the part about letting the other agent(s) know right away once you've signed with someone. Agent B would not have nice things to say about you at cocktail parties if he called you up to offer you a deal after spending two weeks going through your ms with a fine tooth comb, only to find out you signed with Agent A the day before he started reading.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Some agents ask for exclusives on partials (which I think is unreasonable) but in most cases you can have as many partials out as you like, and you don't have to tell any of the agents about the others. If one of the agents then asks for an exclusive on a full, you don't need to tell that agent that others are reading partials. In fact, you can continue to send out partials while someone is reading the full, whether they're reading on an exclusive basis or not.

- Victoria

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
I had an agent asked for the first three chaps (exclusive) and when I told her another agent was reading the full she backed out. I thought that was strange for an exclusive on 3 chapters.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
IMHO, if the agent doesn't ask for exclusivity, you're not obligated to tell them. I mean, when you apply for jobs, do you tell your potential employer what other companies you're interviewing? Of course not. Now, if they both offer you representation, then the problem is, happily, yours.

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
I've had one agent ask for an exclusive on a partial. When I told him other agents were currently looking at the project, he wished me luck, but said he'd be happy to take a look if those others passed.

I don't like the exclusivity request (and my current agent actively discourages writers from giving them), but I did appreciate that agent being so up-front about things, and his willingness to take a look later on. Happily, it didn't turn out to be necessary.