Do I revise as planned or send agent original version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

I'm a bit stuck here. I have a ms which had a few partial and full requests (from #PitMad), but all bar one rejected it, giving me similar feedback as to its flaws - and I'm pretty sure the revisions would improve the novel. I worked out what I would change on the ms, but thought I'd wait to do revisions until the final agent rejected me.

However, now I've got an enthusiastic request for a full from one of the #PitMad agents who favourited my tweet but has been closed to queries for ages. I really like this agent and want to send her the full, but I don't know whether to:

a) send her the original, unrevised version now
b) do as much revision as I can now, and send it to her in a couple of days
Or c) explain the situation to her and ask for some time to revise before I send it to her? (although I wouldn't know how to word it really)

What should I do?

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd recommend doing the revision first, especially since you received similar feedback from several agents and are on board with their suggestions. What I would do is send an e-mail to the requesting agent explaining that you've received revision suggestions from another agent(s) and that you want some time to work on the new version before sending it out. I'm sure she'll understand!

JMO, of course--hopefully others will weigh in. And good luck! :D.

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Hester. I did that last year with an editor at a major publishing house who wanted the full. I'd received feedback from numerous agents that I agreed with and wanted to to do the revision. She told me to resubmit once I was done with the revision. It worked out in the end because she ended up buying the book!

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
If you agree with the feedback you've gotten so far, do the revisions.

I would tell the requesting agent that you have feedback from previous agents that you would like to incorporate into the MS before you send it. And give her some sort of timeline - like 6 weeks (or whatever).

Make sure you indicate you are making revisions based on agent feedback (otherwise it can look like you have been querying an unpolished MS). And make sure you give yourself a reasonable amount of time to make the changes you want, but give a specific timeframe. (It's okay if you don't meet it exactly, but that will also give the agent a heads-up on when to expect your submission and demonstrate you can work with deadlines.)

Best of luck! :)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Option c
What they said. You want the manuscript to be in the best possible state.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly what everyone's said.

I would do option C, if and only if I was convinced that the changes would make the MS better, and I would email the agent to ask if she wouldn't mind waiting with the explanation that the changes were prompted by agent feedback.

You want to put the best possible MS in this agent's hands. This agent wants to read the best possible MS. Just be professional and make sure she knows that you're not just making changes willy nilly because you queried too early. And good luck!!! :)

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'm going to do option c.
How does this sound:

Dear [Agent],

Yes, tha manuscript is still available and I'd be happy to send you the full. However, I am currently making revisions based on some recent agent feedback I received - so if you are agreeable, could I possibly send you the full manuscript after these revisions - in roughly four weeks?
Thank you,

Best wishes,

Amy.

ericalynn

Registered
Reaction score
I was in the same exact situation and really glad that I took the time to revise before I sent. I sent the agent a similar email to what you sent, and he was very agreeable and understanding. I made sure I kept the deadline I sent for myself and it didn't seem to hurt my chances at all.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Looks good! Just catch the typo in the second word. :)

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
It might be best not to give such a close time frame. You don't want to rush your revisions. The whole point is to send the best work you can. (Of course, I realize that may be plenty of time for you, but just in case.)

Status
Not open for further replies.