Status
Not open for further replies.

dippykitty

Surviving... just!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sally-aquire.co.uk
I`m doing a feature on young women surviving breast cancer. Some recent research has shown that younger women with breast cancer are more likely to die young than older sufferers. Does anyone know any young British women (under 40) who have survived it?

To the best of my knowledge, they won`t need to be photographed or provide a photograph- just straight-forward quotes.

If you know anyone who would be willing to help, PM me or email me.

Sally

karenmary

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lynch.st
Just British women? Not a 38 year old American survivor who has been breast cancer free for two years?

More details please ...

dippykitty

Surviving... just!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sally-aquire.co.uk
Hi Karen

I`m pitching it at a British magazine so I presume that they`d prefer British women, but if they don`t have the preference, obviously that can be extended to America too.

What kind of details do you want? I`ll try to give some more but I`m not sure how much I can give until I`ve sent the query and got a definite outline. Sorry for the vagueness.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
dippykitty said:
I`m doing a feature on young women surviving breast cancer. Some recent research has shown that younger women with breast cancer are more likely to die young than older sufferers.

Make sure you do sufficient research. My sister is going through BC treatment at a major Southern Calif cancer center and I have not heard about this research. Survival rates depend on a great number of things.

dippykitty

Surviving... just!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sally-aquire.co.uk
Sassenach said:
Make sure you do sufficient research. My sister is going through BC treatment at a major Southern Calif cancer center and I have not heard about this research. Survival rates depend on a great number of things.

I will, thank you :)

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
dippykitty said:
Does anyone know any young British women (under 40) who have survived it?

I can't help you with people, but I have some info that might save lives if you put it in your article. The BBC recently reported on a scientific study that showed evening primrose oil worked to prevent recurrence of aggressive breast cancer. Here's a link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4395826.stm

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
The BBC recently reported on a scientific study that showed evening primrose oil worked to prevent recurrence of aggressive breast cancer
Aargh!!

How clear can scientists be !!? To quote from that exact article:

This research does not suggest that women with breast cancer should routinely take evening primrose oil

and

There is no evidence to suggest that taking GLA supplements can help prevent cancer.

How on earth does this BBC article support the claim that it works to 'prevent recurrence'?

Mac

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Mac H. said:
How on earth does this BBC article support the claim that it works to 'prevent recurrence'?

Mac

I think they're just trying to protect themselves. I mean, they could get sued by the family someone who took loads of primrose oil and still died of breast cancer. Different bodies work in different ways so its hard to find something that works for all.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Q: How on earth does this BBC article support the claim that it works to 'prevent recurrence'?
A: I think they're just trying to protect themselves. I mean, they could get sued by the family someone who took loads of primrose oil and still died of breast cancer.
Nonsense.

Look at a claim they did make: "Studies have shown that XXXX cuts the risk of tumours returning in women with early stage Her-2/neu-positive breast cancer by 50%"

That's what a scientific claim looks like. They can't get sued because someone 'took a lot of XXXX' and still had recurring cancer!

The fact is simple - they didn't have the results to say that evening primrose oil works to prevent recurrence. It's as simple as that.

Don't get me wrong - the scientist was saying that 'the work showed that "an inexpensive herbal medicine" might regulate breast cancer cell growth and help control cancer spread'.

That's great news. But this is a very early stage - they showed that an incredient in the oil had a similar affect in the lab to a drug that is known to reduce the risk of a particular type of cancer returning.

That's good news - but entirely different from the claim that the 'scientific study that showed evening primrose oil worked to prevent recurrence of aggressive breast cancer'

Primrose oil might do it. But remember that the scientists behind the study (who are presumably primrose oil enthusiasts) are making pains to ensure everyone understands that the study didn't show it. That's because they are good scientists.

Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.