Curious re post deletions

Craig McNeil

Sitting in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CraigMcNeil.com
When browsing through quite a few threads here, I've come across numerous post deletions by the post writer. In some cases there can be three of four even in a short thread. Briefly, I'm wondering why? I've never seen anything like this on any of the forums I frequent.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any number of reasons. Sometimes the system or someone's browser will hiccup and post the same thing twice. Another reason I've seen is things get heated and the poster either takes back what he or she said, or decides they don't want to fuel a fire. There's just no telling.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This post will self-destruct in five seconds.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
My computer is pretty old and sometimes will freeze when I'm posting. So I'm not sure that it has posted and will do it again. Then realise it's posted twice.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's also not uncommon for someone who doesn't like the way a thread they started, or have been active in, is going, so they delete the content of their posts, replacing it with a period or something. I ran across one of those earlier today. Nitwit couldn't handle sincere questions about his call for manuscripts and replaced every post with -.

Maryn, shaking her head

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
We're not wondering.
We know what lurks in the hearts of men.
Yes, the Shadow knows.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer to stealth-edit my posts so no one can ever find that wickedly offensive diatribe about barn swallows that they remember seeing.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
And one other reason, that possibly only applies to the lunatics who hang out in the Comedy Cabaret...

We Cabbies have a little tradition of the mods changing our avatars to something ridiculous when we reach nice round post milestones -- e.g., 6000. Some of us have been known to tease the mods by deleting old posts so as to remain at 5.999 posts for a day or so while the mods impatiently twitch their fingers as they wait to turn us into sparkly pink unicorns.

Not me, of course. I would never do such a thing. :D

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
There's also when someone really really pisses me off and I post something I really shouldn't. And then I calm down and think about it. And then delete the post cos... you know.... temper.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, someone who has never seen either of you would say, "Oh, sparks must fly when they collide."

Fortunately your (plural) calm dispositions have reached legendary proportions. Therefore we bask in the warmth of your meetings.

Did you remember to bring marshmallows?

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, someone who has never seen either of you would say, "Oh, sparks must fly when they collide."

Fortunately your (plural) calm dispositions have reached legendary proportions. Therefore we bask in the warmth of your meetings.

Did you remember to bring marshmallows?

It's more like "fighting fire with fire", Robinson. Like Superman battling it out with Wonder Woman.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
It's more like "fighting fire with fire", Robinson. Like Superman battling it out with Wonder Woman.

You fully deserved every angry mob I sent after you in the cutesie-wootsie, overused. and/or trendy expressions thread.

Nonetheless, I shall share my marshmallows with you and with everyone.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
did this the other day.

posted a reply in the writing forum in response to something someone had said, saying it was a good idea. but when I reread their post I found out I had misunderstood their point. so I deleted mine, which was a bit off topic to begin with.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Egad. There are strange and murky depths in this forum where I have yet to trod. :Wha:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
did this the other day.

posted a reply in the writing forum in response to something someone had said, saying it was a good idea. but when I reread their post I found out I had misunderstood their point. so I deleted mine, which was a bit off topic to begin with.
Oh, I've done that. You think they asked, Is this a good idea for my novel? But they really asked, What do you think of my already-published novel? I don't want my post answering the question I thought I saw ('Tis a foolish idea which can only end badly!) to be seen.

Maryn, who should not post when undercaffeinated, tired, cross, depressed, distracted, drunk, or horny

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
It's all true. Everything you've heard or dreamt about AW. Even the stuff we just make up as we go along.