Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
The second line of the Deadline article states "I’m hearing Benedict Cumberbatch is the studio’s choice for the superhero pic, and negotiations are about to begin. "

So this is just another rumor so far. And if negotions are about to begin there is plenty that could derail them. Don't get me wrong, I want it to happen. Of all the names that have been put forward, this would be my top choice (aside from GOT's Aidan Gillen, but that seems like it won't happen).

But in the end, there's been so much speculation about casting at this point that I'll only get excited when someone has signed on the dotted line.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I thought that had already been cast as per rumor as Jon Hamm
IMHO I would be team Cumpbo ... Comber... Sherlock.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The second line of the Deadline article states "I’m hearing Benedict Cumberbatch is the studio’s choice for the superhero pic, and negotiations are about to begin. "

So this is just another rumor so far. And if negotions are about to begin there is plenty that could derail them. Don't get me wrong, I want it to happen. Of all the names that have been put forward, this would be my top choice (aside from GOT's Aidan Gillen, but that seems like it won't happen).

But in the end, there's been so much speculation about casting at this point that I'll only get excited when someone has signed on the dotted line.

They'll get him...Marvel always gets their first second third choice actor...unless they don't.

Thuro

I'm Batman
Registered
Reaction score
Already found this out on CBR. Better choice than Keanu I think. I mean I like Keanu, he's smart, he chooses role that don't require a lot of speaking.

But I think we can all agree Sherlock is the infinitely better actor.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
[choke] [gasp] After what he did to Constantine?

Never saw it.

I think Dr. S. needs someone who can walk the edge of sinister and not fall over, which is KR's strong suit, IMO (he makes a great psycho). Cumberbatch's Khan did not convince me of his ability to be menacing. Some of his Sherlock scenes, yes, but not in anything with maintained menace. He's too big a goofball.

(Sheer acting ability, it's BC, no question.)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Yeah, I'm not too pleased with this. I was hoping they'd put a new face in there, someone who I don't associate with a bunch of other characters already. And someone who can act, so that leaves out Keanu Reeves.

If it needs to be a name, then what's wrong with Adrien Brody. Or the aforementioned Jon Hamm.

Cumberbatch seems to elfin for this, lacks gravitas.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I saw a few people on Twitter championing Oded Fehr. He'd actually be a great choice. He's the right age, and he's already got the salt and pepper look working for him.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have read pretty much every Dr Strange bar a few of the very early ones and I do not see him as a "sinister" character. Through most of it (excluding a few temporary plot arcs) he is one of the least ambiguous virtuous heroes ever to use magic.

A_Read

Registered
Reaction score
I'd heard Jaquain (sorry not sure of the spelling?) Phoenix for dr strange... But maybe that's obsolete now!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Just last night I watched the second new Star Trek movie, Into Darkness, where he played Khan, the evil superman invented way back in the original TV series. He's a superwatchable actor, and perfect for this role.

He showed considerable acting chops in 12 Years a Slave, too.

Somehow I keep thinking about the next James Bond.

caw

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I have read pretty much every Dr Strange bar a few of the very early ones and I do not see him as a "sinister" character. Through most of it (excluding a few temporary plot arcs) he is one of the least ambiguous virtuous heroes ever to use magic.

I've only read a very few of them, so maybe I picked up one of those temporary arcs. I had the impression that he was a facade of the good doctor with something darker underneath. (Aside from one very strange and silly one that probably killed the entire series for me.)

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I think this might be my favorite rumor so far. I might have preferred them going with a less-known actor, but I think Cumberbatch's natural acting style seems to lend itself to the sort of Doctor Strange I enjoy most.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Great actor, but too young. I'd rather see Keanu Reeves in the role.

I usually agree with you but sorry, Cyia. No. Please dear heaven above No.

[choke] [gasp] After what he did to Constantine?

Exactly. I will never forgive him for that.

Never saw it.

I think Dr. S. needs someone who can walk the edge of sinister and not fall over, which is KR's strong suit, IMO (he makes a great psycho). Cumberbatch's Khan did not convince me of his ability to be menacing. Some of his Sherlock scenes, yes, but not in anything with maintained menace. He's too big a goofball.

(Sheer acting ability, it's BC, no question.)

Agreeing with veinglory on this one...

...for this reason.

And no Bennibow Cramplepuss, although he is one that could carry it off for his acting ability alone.

Oded Fehr also gets my vote. And fervent prayers. Maybe even a sacrifice or two.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Doctor Strange was my most favorite if Marvel's second tier of heroes. His comics always seemed a little more intellectual (or I simply wanted them to be), although I guess with things like "By the hoary hosts of Hoggoth!" and the all-seeing Eye of Agamotto, and the dread Dormammu those stories might come off as silly to the casual reader. I just hope the movie gives it a more serious treatment. And I really hope they keep it magic-based and don't muck with it like they did with Thor, changing Doctor Strange to some alien-based technology (the eye of Agamotto becomes a cosmic power source from some mysterious alien spacecraft).

I'm really anxious about this movie (not eager, anxious).

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I'd much rather see Cumberbatch as Morpheus from The Sandman. You know, if I can dream (ha) and all that.