Northern Mountains, New Mexico

Spy_on_the_Inside

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a story where the beginning takes place in the northern region of New Mexico, specifically the Tusas Mountains. I have already spent a great deal of time studying the region: wildlife, temperature range, population, but what I'm missing is that human element.

I would love to hear from people who have been to the Tusas Mountains or really any mountain range in northern New Mexico. I want to hear what it is like from a sensory perspective. What does the air smell like in the mountains: fresh, spicy, like dry grass? Even though the mountains are forested, is it still really arid. Are the grass blades dry and sharp?

These are the sorts of things I think will really bring the reader to the place of the story.

If anyone has been to the region, I would love to hear about your experiences there.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't spent much time there, but I wanted to point out that there is horrible cell reception in most of that area. My husband used to deliver all around New Mexico and there were dead spots everywhere. Radio stations were very limited as well, as you can literally drive a hundred miles between towns.

New Mexico is similar to Arizona as far as geography. The Tulsa mountains seem to have the same weather patterns as northeastern Arizona, in which it's very mountainous with a dry spring, heavy monsoon season (July-September) and a fairly wet (snowy) winter. With the exception of monsoon season, humidity is VERY low. One thing unique to 'desert' states is that weather can be very localized. One place can get an inch or two of rain and a few miles away, there will be nothing. The higher the altitude, the more likely it will be raining/snowing. Flash flooding is a SERIOUS concern.

The state of the grass would vary on the season. Forest fires are very common and dangerous in the spring. It rains almost every day during monsoon season and so the grass would be much wetter during those months.

As far as people, you'll see a lot of 'snowbirds' in the summer months from people trying to escape the heat of the southern parts of the state. Many of the people living in the area are around only for the summer.

I'm sorry I can't give more details, as I'm from Arizona and my experience with New Mexico is mostly limited to highway travel and what my husband has told me.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The mountains there are forested, except in the uppermost slopes, where snow remains in isolated places all summer. The forests are dominated by aspen, the leaves of which turn golden yellow in autumn. The region is sparsely populated. It's dry, but not desert; semiarid would be the best description. Thunderstorms, with lots of lightning but only brief, heavy rain, are a feature of late summer, in particular. You're not far from volcanic areas, such as those in Bandelier National Monument, near Santa Fé, which also contains ancient native ruins. A fair amount of territory in northern New Mexico is also tribal land, with some degree of access restriction.

caw

Spy_on_the_Inside

Registered
Reaction score
Would there still be a great deal of snow in late February/early March up in the mountains? Would there just be a few melting patches or still a full blanket cover?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
New Mexico is similar to Arizona as far as geography.

I wouldn't say that. If you're in the north, yes, that's true to a certain extent, but not so much when you consider the southern parts of both states. The basin of Arizona is completely different from the plateau of New Mexico.

Since I'm more familiar with central New Mexico, I don't have much to add to this thread, though. Sorry.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that. If you're in the north, yes, that's true to a certain extent, but not so much when you consider the southern parts of both states. The basin of Arizona is completely different from the plateau of New Mexico.

Since I'm more familiar with central New Mexico, I don't have much to add to this thread, though. Sorry.

Yes. Correct. The southern half of Arizona is very 'green' for a desert. Lots of different cactuses, flowers, and bushes outside of the cities. :)

I was shocked when I drove through Nevada and saw real desert. Miles and miles of brown creosote bushes and sand. Very boring to look at.

Spy_on_the_Inside

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Correct. The southern half of Arizona is very 'green' for a desert. Lots of different cactuses, flowers, and bushes outside of the cities. :)

I was shocked when I drove through Nevada and saw real desert. Miles and miles of brown creosote bushes and sand. Very boring to look at.

Would you say the desert in New Mexico is more green with lots of cactuses and flowers, or is it more brown with lots of sand and scrub?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Northern New Mexico has lots of cactus and junipers. Those last at high elevations.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

Hmm, I would say the basin of southern Arizona is less green than northern Arizona and New Mexico.

And so much hotter!

They're definitely different flora, but New Mexico still has plenty of green.

Would you say the desert in New Mexico is more green with lots of cactuses and flowers, or is it more brown with lots of sand and scrub?

Fewer cacti than southern Arizona, but still plenty of flora. Well, there are still lots of cacti too, but they tend to be smaller and less imposing. Mostly bushes and trees. I'd call the desert more red than brown, but that may be personal preference.

Last edited:

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I would say the basin of southern Arizona is less green than northern Arizona and New Mexico.

And so much hotter!

They're definitely different flora, but New Mexico still has plenty of green.

Fewer cacti than southern Arizona, but still plenty of flora. Well, there are still lots of cacti too, but they tend to be smaller and less imposing. Mostly bushes and trees. I'd call the desert more red than brown, but that may be personal preference.

Well, it depends on what section. I guess that's the problem with comparing two very large states to each other. ;)