So, you like complicated plots

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Well then, let me introduce you to the world of Mexican soap operas.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]My wife will watch one and I reluctantly find myself interested in the darned things. The hardest part is trying to figure out the plot – as well as who the various characters are and how they're relatedl[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Let's start with my current fascination – la Gata or Stray Cat.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The MC is obviously la Gata a girl named Esmeralda who grows up in a landfill outside of Mexico City, She knows nothing of her real parents and is raised by an old crone, [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Doña Rita who teaches her how to beg and do all sorts of other things to earn money. She can neither read nor write.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Along comes Pablo Negrete, a rich boy who teaches her to read and write and actually calls her by her name. They fall in love and, against Pablo's parents wishes, run off and get married. Pablo's father sends him off to NYC to get his masters. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Several months after Pablo leaves, Esmeralda had twins, a boy and a girl. Pablo knows nothing about it and his father annuls his marriage to Esmeralda. When Pablo returns, he is told of the twins and is told they are not his but another character called The Italiano.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]With me so far?[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]We then introduce El Silencioso who had been sent to jail for something he didn't do. While in jail, he was in a cell with Damien Reyes whose mother Meche has helped raise Esmeralda and her twins. Fernando Ruiz discovers that la Gata is really his daughter Renata who he thought to be dead. We then learn that Fernando's wife, Fela, la Loca also lives in the landfill and is close to Esmeralda without knowing she is her daughter. In any case, Fernando takes Damian as his helper and convinces him to have his mother come to be the housekeeper. We then find him convincing another friend of Esmeralda's, Jarocha, to move in so Esmeralda will bring her twins into the house.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Then comes the total plot twists. Turns out the s.o.b. who framed Fernando is Pablo's father! Not only that, he is responsible for stealing Esmeralda from her mother and turning her over to Rita who got paid for it. Having her child stolen and her husband in jail, Fela goes nuts. Not only that, but Augustine moved his family into Fernando's mansion and lives high on money he stole from el Silencioso.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]That's enough. It would take pages upon pages to go into the other plot twists the desire for revenge. At this point, Rita, Meche, and Jarocha know Esmeralda is Fernando's daughter but he refuses to tell her until his name is cleared. He then finds Fela who is his wife and Esmeralda's mother and brings her to the house, telling everyone who she is – except for poor Esmerelda who still doesn't know who either one is.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]And the weirdest part? Esmeralda and Pablo are still in love and want to marry but his parents are doing everything possible to stop it. Fernando as well wants her to have nothing to do with the son of the man who ruined his life.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]So then …..... :D
[/FONT]

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So then...I'm just wondering if this might be ported over to the TV/movies section, which might be a better fit?

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Um... I'm kinda embarrassed to ask since writers are supposed to know words and all, but I don't understand the difference.

Complicated implies there is at least one complication, which is a much lower threshold than complex, where the implication is that it is at the very least a system of many parts.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Um... I'm kinda embarrassed to ask since writers are supposed to know words and all, but I don't understand the difference.

In terms of fictional narrative, complicated has to do with breadth. Complex has to do with depth. You can do both, of course, but they aren't the same thing.

caw

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So then...I'm just wondering if this might be ported over to the TV/movies section, which might be a better fit?

Moveage has occurred. :D

And I can see why that plot, complex as its complications are, would draw a person into its maze!

Littlebit66

Registered
Reaction score
This reminds me of a line from Mystery Science Theater 3000 "Cave Dwellers" - "Tolkien couldn't follow this plot!"

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I think it's brilliant at the one thing a soap opera has to be good at - keeping the viewer hooked. That need to know what happens next is the life blood of any soap.

So.... what did happen to Esmeralda and the twins?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Having watched a few soaps over the years, there will always be That One Storyline you have to watch, even when the other 45,999 around it are pure bunk. And somehow, when That One Storyline is resolved, in the remaining 45,999 stories there will be...That One Storyline you have to watch.