PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Eye

Nexusman
03-27-2006, 06:41 AM
This may seem a bit gross, but how long is the optic nerve? Basically, how far can an eye be pulled from its socket and still be able to transmit images to the brain?

-Nick

Note: This topic gets a bit graphic. Don't scroll down if you're squeamish.

Jamesaritchie
03-27-2006, 07:54 AM
This may seem a bit gross, but how long is the optic nerve? Basically, how far can an eye be pulled from its socket and still be able to transmit images to the brain?

-Nick

Good question. I've seen an eye dislocated from the socket, and it hung less than two inches. I don't know whether or not that's average. I do know that without medical intervention, an eye will go blind very shortly after being dislocated.

Julie Worth
03-27-2006, 08:00 AM

-Nick

In this case (http://www.slate.com/id/2137959/), he couldn't see until it was popped back in.

Tish Davidson
03-27-2006, 08:32 AM
The optic nerve is about 50 mm or almost 2 inches long and about 3 to 4 mm thick. The eyeball is held in place by several muscles. You can see a picture of how the muscles hold the eye in its eye socket here:
http://webvision.med.utah.edu/anatomy.html

These muscles would have to be torn for the eyeball to hang out of the socket. Also, I have no idea whether the optic nerve would break under those circumstances or just pull loose, but I'm betting that the trauma would be so great that even if it did not break, it would stop transmitting nerve impulses and the person would have no vision from that eye.

Perks
03-27-2006, 08:55 AM
Ack! Criminey, why'd I click on this thread? A pox on all your houses. And damn your eyes to boot.

(But I will go to bed knowing something I did not earlier. Not that I'll get any sleep or anything now.)

Minister
03-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Yeah, I worry about people here sometimes. That's when I'm not worrying about myself; I looked at this thread a second time after the question was posted to see the answers (and, of course, to wonder just how people know these things.)

Julie Worth
03-27-2006, 08:34 PM
When they pop the eye back in, how do they know which way is up?

Nexusman
03-27-2006, 11:26 PM
I think the "temporary blindness" by being out-of-socket may be a defense measure by the brain because it's used to receiving images from the eyes from two distinct locations... anything else would result in some seriously skewed vision the brain might not be able to compensate for.

Thanks for all your posts. This is certainly an eye-ful of information that I was looking for. (You don't want to know why I wanted to know, trust me on this.) I couldn't find it on google but the posts are definitely a sight for sore eyes... okay, I'll stop now.

-Nick

Perks
03-27-2006, 11:34 PM
(You don't want to know why I wanted to know, trust me on this.) -NickThen why the hell am I back here? What is wrong with me?!

You know what? Fictional gore, I can take all day. It was the story about the basketball player that done me in... I'm going to go put a preemtive cold pack on my eyes.

Bad people.

Nexusman
03-28-2006, 12:02 AM
Then why the hell am I back here? What is wrong with me?!

*bites tongue* :D

You know what? Fictional gore, I can take all day.
Bad people.

Well, since you asked... the setup is something like this:

"Let me show you the face of fear."
(Originally, the speaker was then going to pull out the victim's eye and turn it around so it was looking at him. I'll have to come up with something else.)

Nothing seems to get attention better than a character being traumatized at a young age.

-Nick

Perks
03-28-2006, 12:33 AM
Lol! That's quite a scene! Jeez Louise. Now I've got the giggles - in a now-there's-a-bad-guy kinda way. Hee hee.

Maryn
03-28-2006, 05:51 PM
This was my profile picture for nearly a month before anyone mentioned it...

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/1847/eyesfreakfaceeyessmaller4sr.jpg

Maryn, assuring you all her eyes are blue

Nexusman
03-28-2006, 10:59 PM
One thing I've noticed about readers: it's okay to make up terms like "warp speed" or have half-elves or a conveniently-close setting, it's never okay to contradict any known given science or mathematic.

Hence the question. The character that this occurs to later manages to regrow the lost eye (with a quirk) and while that's allright for a reader, they want to make sure I know exactly how long the optic nerve is.

Note to self: Don't look at any picture posted by Maryn directly after eating lunch.

-Nick

Perks
03-28-2006, 11:09 PM
Dammit, Maryn. Like it wasn't bad enough and inch and a half square. I don't think I love you anymore.

Bufty
03-28-2006, 11:12 PM
For the love of God - somebody put a warning symbol at the top of this Thread. I am not coming back here. I'm not, I'm not.

You guys are sick. Sick.

And now I'm scared shitless of sneezing!!

Tish Davidson
03-29-2006, 12:04 AM
One thing I've noticed about readers: it's okay to make up terms like "warp speed" or have half-elves or a conveniently-close setting, it's never okay to contradict any known given science or mathematic.

Hence the question. The character that this occurs to later manages to regrow the lost eye (with a quirk) and while that's allright for a reader, they want to make sure I know exactly how long the optic nerve is.

Note to self: Don't look at any picture posted by Maryn directly after eating lunch.

-Nick

The optic nerve is actually a bundle of nerve fibers encased in a tough sheath of tissue. An artery and vein also run though the bundle, so if you yank out the optic nerve, you're likely to have a lot of blood, too.

Nexusman
03-29-2006, 12:07 AM
The optic nerve is actually a bundle of nerve fibers encased in a tough sheath of tissue. An artery and vein also run though the bundle, so if you yank out the optic nerve, you're likely to have a lot of blood, too.

Thanks. Cripes, this book is already rated R and only on chapter two...

-Nick

Nexusman
03-29-2006, 08:11 AM
I finished the chapter. I couldn't make it go exactly the way I wanted it to, but I still think it's sufficiently terrifying and (whatever that word is when sympathy for a character is induced.) If anyone's particularly interested in the scene, drop me a PM.

-Nick